V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may not be the most interesting post but I am looking for a small 250 training bike. I would prefer a Yamaha Virago that is in very good shape.
I am looking to train my wife who recently took an interest. She, at this point, is afraid of anything the motor company has. Would appreciate any help you could give.

·
Fashion Conscious
1,913 Posts
Old Chuck said:
I know this may not be the most interesting post but I am looking for a small 250 training bike. I would prefer a Yamaha Virago that is in very good shape.
I am looking to train my wife who recently took an interest. She, at this point, is afraid of anything the motor company has. Would appreciate any help you could give.
Honda VLX 600 Shadow, frame size is very similar and will last her a while longer before she outgrows it, too bad you're not closer to Kansas, or I'd make you a deal on one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buell Blast

I went through this same thing with my wife and the Buell blast is the best starter/learning bike out there. It has scratch and dent resistant plastic. The mirrors and turn signals collapse but go right back into shape. You can pick lo mile blast up for dirt cheap. I was also told that you can occasionally buy them from the Harley motorcycle training course people when they are done with them.

I was hoping to get my wife a sporty after she got the hang of it but she will not give up her blast for anything she loves it!. Although a little bike she never has any trouble keeping up with the pack or taking longer trips on it. Buell also has a ton of after market parts for them to customize or improve. Great Bike!!!!

We have let 3 different people use her bike to pass the motorcycle endorsement test and they have all passed with flying colors. (2 women and one guy)Very easy and fun to ride. Highly recommended

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Other good beginner bikes

A couple of good choices would be the Honda Rebel (250) or VLX (600). You should have plenty of used ones to choose from. VLX might be better since she would probably stick with it a little longer than a 250.

Good luck!
Huladog

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
My wife is Jonesing BIGTIME for a Sportster 1200 Low in maroon sunglo but she wanted to train on a smaller bike first. She got her MFS cert on a Yamaha 250 but did not like it or the Rebel 250 much. She's 5'-4" 110 lbs. and she liked the narrower Suzuki GZ250. We got her a new one at the local metric dealer (I rode it home like a trained circus gorilla on a tricycle) and she has put about 800 miles on it so far. She is pretty damn good now and will get out onto the bigger 4 lane roads and do 55 mph. She really likes her GZ but we are going to sell it next month when her XL1200L in comes in to the local stealership. The Zuki costs $3,100 new but the dealers will deal on them and come off a few hundred bucks no problem. They are selling for $2,500 to $2,900 on the used bike websites. We'll probably get $2,500 for hers. Enough to put down on the Sporty. Bone stock and under 1,000 miles. The way I look at it the whole idea of a trainer is to build confidence, learn safety skills, and survive the learning process. Because we knew we would not keep it, we felt it was better to start off as small as possible. So we went with a very light and nimble 250. No reason to pay $4,500 for a VLX when you know you are going to dump it in 1 to 3 months guaranteed. Plus she got her confidence up quick knowing she had a very small bike. She rode a VLX Deluxe 600 a lot around the neighborhood and she liked it but it was more than we needed to get her going. The real disposable bikes can be had for $2,500.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HD-LUX said:
So we went with a very light and nimble 250. No reason to pay $4,500 for a VLX when you know you are going to dump it in 1 to 3 months guaranteed. Plus she got her confidence up quick knowing she had a very small bike. She rode a VLX Deluxe 600 a lot around the neighborhood and she liked it but it was more than we needed to get her going. The real disposable bikes can be had for $2,500.
Hey Chris...lemmie know when yer ready to sell...Linda is interested!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't want to start a bidding war but I may be interested as well in the little Suzuki. I have been on them and for a starter bike they do well.
I think I used one in the MSF class after I had been away from riding for 20 years a while back. Keep me posted.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
My wife got a Shadow VLX 600 a little less than a year ago. She absolutely loves it. She had some experience, and isn't intimidated by power, she just wanted something low and relatively cheap (we've got three kids in college). She's ridden a 250 Rebel and likes the Shadow a lot better. At
600cc she's comfortable at highway speeds, too.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HDLUX and Swmnkdinthervr,
Did not want to get betwen friends on the Suzuk 250. I missed the post that Linda would be interested. Will look elsewhere and in all honesty, I would imagine that I could find one closer to home.
The Virago, Rebel and Suzuki are all good first time bikes and if anyone is close to Florida then I am definately interested. The Rebel feels a bit cramped to my wife but the other two are on my list.
Again Swmndinthervr, Sorry I did not want to get between you and HDLUX.
Chuck

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Old Chuck said:
HDLUX and Swmnkdinthervr,
Did not want to get betwen friends on the Suzuk 250. I missed the post that Linda would be interested. Will look elsewhere and in all honesty, I would imagine that I could find one closer to home.
The Virago, Rebel and Suzuki are all good first time bikes and if anyone is close to Florida then I am definately interested. The Rebel feels a bit cramped to my wife but the other two are on my list.
Again Swmndinthervr, Sorry I did not want to get between you and HDLUX.
Chuck
No sweat...this is what she wants right now...who knows tomorrow and there seem to be plenty out there...we just like to keep it in the family if we can (delinquents...kinda like uncle daddy)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Suzuki Savage 650. $2,000 - $2,500 used. Ride it 2 years and sell it for $200-$400 less. Enough power to keep up with the big boys, small enough to get your feet flat on the ground, handles as easily as a bicycle. It will be a huge confidence builder.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Vtx600

Just picked up a VTX600 used for $2500. Needed new tires and a little TLC, but looks and rides like new now. The wife had a Rebel 250 years ago but it was just too small for her to feel safe on in 4 lane traffic. The 600 was a perfect match and she claims it feels and rides just like her Rebel did. Very forgiving and cheap to fix. Only problem was after her first comfortable ride came the question, "Are you sure this bike is big enough for me?" :nunu:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I taught quite a few people on my Kawi Vulcan 500. But I have no idea what the used price on those would be. I know the dealer gave me 1000 for trade when I got rid of it. It'll cruise all day long down the highway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last fall I bought my wife a parking lot bike to learn on. 1982 Honda 200 (V Star I think) for $700.00. Bike had 5200 miles on it with a new battery and state inspection sticker.
Regards
RCL

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought a used 250 Honda Nighthawk. Taller brother to the Rebel. We were the 3(&4th) permit users. My wife got her license, and my son got his after. We picked it up for 2300.00 with 1500 miles. My wife has a new Sportster and son looking at one this spring. I am sure I will get close to 2000 when I sell it this spring.

300 use cost and the bike was great. Only cost was a new battery and oil change last and this coming spring. OK only about 1200 miles, but worth it in both training and safety.I am glad it was not a 600, as the "loud handle" on a 600 makes things happen much quicker. It runs 65 when needed. Yes it is busy at that speed, but a wonder when running back roads 40-55 mph.

I found mine through local HD shop. Ask around. These things float from needed family to needed family. And they are pretty much as reliable as a rock.

my 2 cents from experience.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Honda SL100

If you could find an old Honda SL100 in good shape it would be a very nice training bike, both on and off road. They didn't have a ton of power and were sluggish enough to not get going too fast too quick, but they were nimble and had enough to keep you doing 55 or 60 if you wanted. Don't think I'd take one out on the interstate though.

My dad bought one back in the early '70s and I hated it at first, but after a few days I found you could ride the thing around on the back wheel at idle all day long. My brother and I would ride tandem on the back wheel all the time with it and it was a breeze to ride no hands standing up on the seat if you were so inclined. I got to where I could get the front end up and then stand up on the seat with no hands riding the wheelie. And, with that 4 stroke motor in lower gears it would take just about any hill the bigger bikes were taking... although a little slower mind you.

·
1,336 Posts
qew9999 said:
I went through this same thing with my wife and the Buell blast is the best starter/learning bike out there. It has scratch and dent resistant plastic. The mirrors and turn signals collapse but go right back into shape. You can pick lo mile blast up for dirt cheap. I was also told that you can occasionally buy them from the Harley motorcycle training course people when they are done with them.

I was hoping to get my wife a sporty after she got the hang of it but she will not give up her blast for anything she loves it!. Although a little bike she never has any trouble keeping up with the pack or taking longer trips on it. Buell also has a ton of after market parts for them to customize or improve. Great Bike!!!!

We have let 3 different people use her bike to pass the motorcycle endorsement test and they have all passed with flying colors. (2 women and one guy)Very easy and fun to ride. Highly recommended
I heard a Buell Blast for sale on the local radio swap shop channel this week It was 2000 with 2000 miles for 2000 dollars. I could probally get the number if your interested.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i went this route...

bought a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 250 for $900 from the local Suzuki shop...rode it for 6 months, bought a 2003 XL883H, rode it for a year, then got a Road King...and still have it...sold the Nighthawk at the same dealership for $750

this from a 21 year old that had never even sat on a motorcylce...I didn't know where the brake, clutch, or gear shift was...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have to vote for the Buell Blast. If you can get over the goofy styling (I have had mine for 4 years and still looks goofy to me) I believe it is better than any of the previously mentioned bikes. I bought mine for one reason, because it was not Japanese (you can call them "metrics" if you wish, I am not so politicly correct) and I have fallen in love with it. I have 2 Sportsters as well, but the Blast gets the most miles put on it and is the one I prefer riding. The only way you can "outgrow" it is if you can convince yourself cause I won't believe you. None of those previously mentioned Japanese 250's can hold 80+mph all day long or go 95+mph topped out. None have cast wheels and a belt drive which never needs adjustment. It gets 65+mpg, corners and stops as well as the sportbikes do. New ones can be had for under $4,000, used for $1,500-$2,500, properly taken care of they are as durable as any other Harley, hardly what I would consider a "disposable" first bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts