V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this and found some talk about it but I have had a custom map made and it still does it, I unhooked the PCIII yesturday and it started very fast, say the second turnover, where as it takes about 7 or 8 with the PC hooked up, the throttle position is correct, is anyone else having this occur and are there any fix's for it as of yet?

·
Registered
503 Posts
hard start

Tnford,
I had this problem on my 2001 ultra...turned out the problem was a weak battery...also the PC does nothing for the first 25 revolutions...If your bike does not start quick,let it set for 15-30 seconds then try again...also run a half bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel.

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Man :cheers:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve I appericate the info but when I unhook the darn thing it will crank up with no problem, I even thought it might be a problem with the o6 injector issue, but apparntly it's not.
I think I will call DynoJet and see what they say, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I've experienced the same problem that you are describing. When I unhook the PCIII it fires right up but has to crank a bit if the PCIII is in the loop. I figured it was because I really don't have a good map on the '06 Ultra yet. I have a PCIII on my '04 Softail and it fires right up. So, either I've got a mapping problem (likely) or there is something a little different (injectors?) on the '06s.

Let us know if you find out anything from Dynojet.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
TLeath said:
I've experienced the same problem that you are describing. When I unhook the PCIII it fires right up but has to crank a bit if the PCIII is in the loop. I figured it was because I really don't have a good map on the '06 Ultra yet. I have a PCIII on my '04 Softail and it fires right up. So, either I've got a mapping problem (likely) or there is something a little different (injectors?) on the '06s.

Let us know if you find out anything from Dynojet.
06 injectors are smaller than prior years. Have you got the start up fuel option enabled in your PClll? If not try that. It may also be that since the PClll doesn't activate until the engine starts or at least cranks over that it's not letting the signal thru to the injectors as quick. I've noticed though on my bike that if I don't wait for the check engine light to go out before I hit the start button it will crank longer or not start at all on that attempt and I have to stop and wait for a second before I crank it again. Also on my bike if I have it in gear the clutch drag seems to affect whether it starts or not.

Joe

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
jasilva said:
06 injectors are smaller than prior years. Have you got the start up fuel option enabled in your PClll? If not try that. It may also be that since the PClll doesn't activate until the engine starts or at least cranks over that it's not letting the signal thru to the injectors as quick. I've noticed though on my bike that if I don't wait for the check engine light to go out before I hit the start button it will crank longer or not start at all on that attempt and I have to stop and wait for a second before I crank it again. Also on my bike if I have it in gear the clutch drag seems to affect whether it starts or not.

Joe
I'll have to check on the startup fuel option. All the rest (check engine light, clutch drag) I'm familiar with since I also have an '04 EFI Softail with a PCIII. That bike was dyno tuned so maybe the tuner did something with this startup fuel option that I was unaware of because it starts instantly.

Tom

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
The start up fuel option is new. I think Dynojet just added it in the last couple months. If you go to their website you can find out more about it. It supposedly doesn't change anything else about your mapping just adds fuel for cold starts and you can raise the rev. limiter.

Joe

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jasilva said:
The start up fuel option is new. I think Dynojet just added it in the last couple months. If you go to their website you can find out more about it. It supposedly doesn't change anything else about your mapping just adds fuel for cold starts and you can raise the rev. limiter.

Joe
Joe you are correct, I called DynoJet and they said that was what the start fuel option is for, if they do it it's $20 plus shipping, if they send you the stuff to do it it's $40, I think it's *TIBS* , they should give it to ya like they did the accelator pumps, just my opinion, I guess I'll have to get it sooner or later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have the newest version of the PC3 USB software you can hit ctrl f and it pulls up a menu to select startup fuel. Then you can go to pc tools and select it and make modifications, not unless you have an old pc3 USB then your stuck.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Tnford27 said:
Joe you are correct, I called DynoJet and they said that was what the start fuel option is for, if they do it it's $20 plus shipping, if they send you the stuff to do it it's $40, I think it's *TIBS* , they should give it to ya like they did the accelator pumps, just my opinion, I guess I'll have to get it sooner or later.
You might be right that this will fix it but read what I got from the PowerCommander site.

If you check the Start-Up Fuel adjustment you will have the ability to richen or lean your fuel mixture during start-up without affecting the base map. This feature is normally only used on highly modified engines that have a hard time starting when cold.

To adjust the settings of this feature go to POWER COMMANDER TOOLS - START UP FUEL. This will give you two fields to adjust.

The first field is the Percent of fuel to add or subtract during start-up. By inputting a value here you will offset the fuel by a given percentage above and beyond the stock ECM and Power Commander.

The second field is the number of engine revolutions (or time) that this feature will be active for. A normal value would be around 150.
The part about adding or subtracting fuel during start-up just doesn't make sense to me. My bike starts fine without the PCIII but takes several cranks with it installed. I don't see why I would need to change the ECM fuel delivery since it starts just fine without the PCIII. The fact that it doesn't start just fine with the PCIII means that they've got an issue with the PCIII and want to charge us more to fix it. That's the way I read it anyway. I don't know that we've got any option but I sure think this is a rotten deal.

Tom

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Steve Handy said:
Tnford,
I had this problem on my 2001 ultra...turned out the problem was a weak battery...also the PC does nothing for the first 25 revolutions...If your bike does not start quick,let it set for 15-30 seconds then try again...also run a half bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel.

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Man :cheers:

I don't understand where this misconception comes from.
For 1, a weak battery would be very obvious and would effect it with or without the PC, for 2, the PC doesn't "sleep" for the first 25 revolutions. It's hooked in between the ECU and everything else. When your key is on, all the signals from the go through it and get modified by the map it's running.:duh?:

Take and advance the timing on the lowest cells (500 & 750 if I remember right) by 5-7 degrees at 0% throttle, try the smallest amount first and go from there. Also add some fuel to those same cells, at 0% throttle. Don't change the 1000rpm cells or higher or you'll be changing the "running" part of the map. Mine had the same issues with the PC on it and this cured it. It would start on 2nd revolution WITH PC after I did this.
And start saving up for SERT, much better and there's no extra parts to cram on your bike. :whistle:

Good luck
Brad

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Tnford27 said:
I did a search on this and found some talk about it but I have had a custom map made and it still does it, I unhooked the PCIII yesturday and it started very fast, say the second turnover, where as it takes about 7 or 8 with the PC hooked up, the throttle position is correct, is anyone else having this occur and are there any fix's for it as of yet?
I have the exact same problem with my Street Glide. I brought this up before myself. Only mine doesn't take as many cranks as yours. It's takes about 4. Without the PC it starts instantly. It seems to effect the '06 bikes. Particularly the '06 bikes with stage-1 reflash. I would like to hear from someone with the newer PC with the start-up fuel adjustment. If that works I'll have my PC upgraded.
~eddie

·
Registered
225 Posts
i have an '06 road king custom w/ pcIII only(no stage 1 flash on my ecm) & i have the same problem,it takes quite a few revolutions to start after installing the pcIII,but if i start it before the engine light goes out,it starts right up.i've read inthis forum & others about this problem & the only consistancy is that it is happening on '06 bikes regardless of ecm flash,map or dyno tuning.i'm convinced it is dyno jets problem,they won't admit it,or take care of it for free...hmm.:nono:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The slow start problem on the 06 bikes has ben talked about for mounths on other forums. There is a work around and that is do not wait to hit the START button. Hit it right after you hit the on button and the bike will start right up with no delays.

I now have my PC3 uninstalled because PC has no maps for the NEW injectors (the 25* injectores for the 06. ) and the HD new map. Has any one resolved this??

Ripp

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
billzbubba said:
the only consistancy is that it is happening on '06 bikes regardless of ecm flash,map or dyno tuning.i'm convinced it is dyno jets problem,they won't admit it,or take care of it for free...hmm.:nono:
I have the same problem and I was one of the first to bring this up months ago. I'm still not 100% convinced that it is Dynojet's problem since it's not a problem on Harleys other than the '06's. I hear the new PCIII's have a setting called start-up fuel or something like that. It's supposed to fix the slow start problem but I haven't heard from anyone who says it actually works. Pushing the start button as soon as you switch on the ignition does starts the bike right up. But I'm concerned doing that all of the time may eventually cause another problem.

~eddie

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have been having the same problems with 06 bikes and hd race tunner
throwing fuel at it for warm up enrichment has fixed them all so far

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
same problem with my (still completely stock for now) 06 FXDI. I emailed Dynojet and this is the response I received back:

"This is a known issue, some bikes have encountered this. The bike may take a couple more cranks, but will still start and run well with the PC. We are looking into this and do not have a fix for it yet."

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
rovert said:
same problem with my (still completely stock for now) 06 FXDI. I emailed Dynojet and this is the response I received back:

"This is a known issue, some bikes have encountered this. The bike may take a couple more cranks, but will still start and run well with the PC. We are looking into this and do not have a fix for it yet."
So I guess that new start-up fuel option on the PCIII is not the solution. At least they are looking into it.

~eddie

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
Alpha_Biker said:
So I guess that new start-up fuel option on the PCIII is not the solution. At least they are looking into it.

~eddie
I guess not because I did ask specifically about the start fuel option in my email to them, (which they did'nt really answer except by omission)

I hope that they do come up with solution because common sense says that this condition only puts more strain and wear and tear on the starter if nothing else. I am going to continue to troubleshoot it myself anyway.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts