V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when is it ever necessary to change the slow jet? what mods would warrant changin it? would i gain anything by goin bigger on the slow jet? my bike runs great and pulls good all the way to top speed, although with my big ass and windshield and saddlebags on my evolution heritage softail tops out about 90ish. there might be an ever ever so slight hesitation if i let completely off the throttle, then roll it on right at the inital point of givin it gas a little pop if you will. would a .45 slow jet help? (.42 in it) sorry so long, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Typically if the bike doesn't spit out of the carb accelerating from a stop or very low speed when it is on the cold side, there is no reason to change the low jet.
It might be a bit crisper with a 45, but you will have to drill out the idle mixture plug to readjust it.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as a matter of fact when the bike is cold and it is cold out it will act real cold blooded and spit out the carb once. i have vance and hines bigshot longs and the thunderslide and jet kit and intake mod. i adjusted the idle mixture screw 3 turns out per the thunderslide instructions. so it sounds like i have nothing to lose by putting a .45 slow jet in then huh?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Probably not, it takes a few minutes to change and if you don't like it you can always go back.
The only consideration would be if you live in a place with a lot of altitude changes.
I have always chosen to live with the very minor lean symphtom when the weather is real cold, because it keeps the bike from loading up when you go into the mountains, which around here is all the time.
Up to you.

One of my favourite tricks when I had a carb bike was to replace the bowl screws with stainless M4x16 Allen bolts. You can then change jets without taking the carb loose and reduces the time it takes dramatically.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i did it. im amazed at how easy it is to change. it literally took me 5 minutes to do. ill tell ya what, it made a hell of a difference!!!! wow no bog. the bike rips now! i must of gained 10ft/lbs of torque. it really revs out good and if i roll the throttle on at 60mph it pulls right away. should i do the screw? you have to fine tune the idle adj. while the engine is running right? that might be fun trying to get at the screw. you just adjust the screw till the engine stumbles then turn it back?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, turn it in one direction until it stumbles a little and then in the other until it does the same (it might not so don't go crazy turning the thing)
Count the turns and set it in the middle.

Do it with the bike at operating temp. With the right size screwdriver it is a piece of cake, it pays to cut one to size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.