V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 RKC with a stage one upgrade using Vance and Hines basic slip-ons. The bike runs great with plenty of pull when I need it. I would like to have more sound and when I asked my dealer about taking out the baffles, he told me that the bike wouldn't run right. Anyone out there know of other slip-ons that would provide me with similar power/torque profile but with more sound? I am not a wholesale believer in "loud pipes save lives" but riding mostly in NYC I do think that it increases my visibility. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
If you take out the baffles you will find wrapping material around them. Take off the material and put the baffles back in. See if you like the sound. My friend just removed half of the material and got the sound he wanted.
Also....do you get any "chirping" or higher frequency noise with your setup? It seems that I'm hearing a slight noise at idle and under 2200 rpms.
brian

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
When you remove the fiberglass wrapping from the baffels it will be somewhat deeper in sound, but the right muffler WILL sustain heat above the chrome tollerance.

Simply put, the right muffler will turn blue where it joins the pipe about six to 8 inchs back.

The sound improvement does not outweigh the cost of the blueing.

I have the same set up, removed the fiberglass, and have a blue muffler that STILL does not sound right to me.

I just ordered a set of Sampson Rolled Thunder to replace the V&H.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am not sure that I would like to take off the fiberglass wrapping from the baffle because I don't want to make an irreversable change to the pipes. I do not have any chirpping sound at idle ( or at any other time) so I can't help you there. The sampson slip-ons sound like a good idea but I would like to make sure that they are louder than the V&H basics. Have you heard them on the RKC? How much do they cost? Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Loren,
I'm in NYC and have a FLHRCI. Who did your mapping, and what did they do? HD-NYC told me they only have maps for SE pipes but they use it for V&H as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Loren,

Yea I have heard em on RoadKings and they sound good. The V&H is around $370. Sampsons about $329.

http://www.samsonusa.com/home.html

Take a look around the site. They are pretty cool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea in terms of the mapping issue for the V&H slip-ons by my dealer. I just want know if anyone has heard both sets of pipes and can compare them for me before I spend the money for the new slip-ons.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ok, I have HEARD both and I now OWN both. The Sampsons SOUND better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts