V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if I could get input from folks on what type of slip-ons they are running, and how they like the sound, and volume level. I have a '02 FLHTCI. My 1,000 mile is almost due, and I was going to do a stage 1, or go with the Power Commander IIIr.

I wanted to get something pretty loud, but would also like to hear the radio. I didn't buy the bike planning on using the radio, but have grown to really enjoy having tunes. I am going to upgrade to the high power amp/speakers, so I can hear it above my new pipes.

I was considering Khrome Werks HP+, or V&H basics. I think the Samsons and SE slip-ons might be too tame for my taste. At the website www.dynoguy.com, it is stated the Thunder Header Thundercones have some type of exhaust wave problem that causes them to not work well with FI bikes, so I'll have to pass on those.

Any opinions and input greatly appreciated...

Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The EFI bikes seem to be very unhappy with some pipes or slip-ons, in particular TCones as mentioned, but there are others, including some on your list.

I don't care for their look, but the one slip on they really seem to like is the E-pipe, and you can adjust the sound with the discs. They can be special ordered with a different baffle which they call "mountain core", but not sure how it works with EFI. Works exceedingly well with carbs. Bottom line the EFI bikes, and the Delphi ones in particular, do not like real loud ie low backpressure pipes.

Personally I feel the high power amp and speakers is a huge waste of money. Try cranking up the AVC on the radio, and if you still are not happy you can get a set of Polk speakers from Circuit City for less then $100.00 that are a huge improvement over the OEM ones. Up to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have V&H slip ons on 01 Road King Classic. They have a real good thump but do not cause headaches. They also work well with the EFI. At least mine does. Go to Kutter HD web page. They have some audio files that might help a little. www.kutterharley.com go to the site map and you can find the files. There are few there that might give you an idea.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responses. I have more time to "learn", so hopefully I can buy something that meets my volume level and tone...

I'll check out that website with the audio tracks...thanks.

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I have the Samson Rolled Thunder on my 02 Ultra (with PC and Big Bore). Great Sound, not deafening, even on the highway. Big improvement over my 01 SE's. Also have the HD Power Amp and Speakers that Hippo refers to. In my opinion, not a huge waste of money ($400 after 20% discount). The stock radio, when run full out, distorts. This is only made worse by an increase in the AVC. I don't care if you put $10,000 speakers in there; they are only as good as the input signal. The amp provides significantly greater power (and loudness) at pre-distortion levels. The music (AM or FM) is loud and clear and very audible over any pipe (or semi or whatever else is disturbing your peace)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dan,

Thanks for the info. I also agree 100% concerning the stereo. The stock amp has lower wattage, and more distortion. I got the specs from them, I'll post them below.

How loud are the Samsons compared to V&H slip-ons?

It's funny -- I have learned many opinions are biased largely by age. A co-worker says Thunder Headers aren't that loud. He wouldn't run anything else. I Think they are loud (louder than I desire).

Thanks,
Mitch

Hello Mitch,
Below you will find the stats that you were requesting on the Stock radio vs. ESS.
Stock:
Speakers= 50W, 8 Ohm
Amp output= 39 watts peak (per channel)
distortion at 20 Watts = .50%
Upper frequency response=15 kHz

Enhanced Sound System (ESS):
Speakers= 80W, 4 Ohm
Amp output= 70 watts peak, 55 watts RMS (per channel)
distortion at 20 Watts = .06%
Upper frequency response=20 kHz

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, as I understand your point of view and see the difference in specs. I approach it from the point of view of use in the real world. None of this stuff is waterproof and bikes get rained on in use, and it is my belief that after a few good soakings a speaker with a poly cone will retain more of it's original efficiency then one with a paper cone. You'll see, all this stuff degrades rather rapidly with the intended use of the bike.

Granted, cost may not be significant to some, but the way I look at it $500.00 is 2.5% of the cost of the bike, and in an ideal world you would get more then K Mart componentry in a Cartier priced piece of equipment, but that's the way it goes these days. Guess you could say that I object to the philosophy more then anything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my 1000 mile last monday on my 02 Fatboy! I just installed the Screamin Eagle ll slipons this morning and they are really sweet... They're quiet while just crusing or idleing but they sound awesome as soon as you throttle up! And not too...loud! I definately have more poop on takeoff too! Just my 2 pesos! Bueno, Dan NM P.S. I have the fuel injected model

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Understand your position Hippo and respect it. It is all about personal chocie and "value" is a very subjective thing depending upon your prespective. I have always found your opinions and insight to be very valuable.

As respects the VH vs. the Samson's I can't say as I do not ride with anybdy with the VH's. I like my Samsons and they are sure a favorite in the Milwaukee area (see more of these than any other). Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I had my 1000 mile last monday on my 02 Fatboy! I just installed the Screamin Eagle ll slipons this morning and they are really sweet

Just watch out for those PETA checkpoints. They may object to all the dead ponies. LOL

In all fairness I have not measured the SEII's on a softail, but they do eat a lot of power on the touring bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SE ll's

Hi Hippo... Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I felt my fatboy had more umph on takeoff with these new pipes! Could you do a measurement sometime down the road and let me know? If there is a loss of power, can the fuel system be tweeked to get it back? Many Thanks, Dan NM

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Like I said, it may be different on a softail. Keep in mind the baggers put most of the exhaust out of the right side and their original systems are less restrictive then the softails, so you probably did gain something over the stock canisters, but I can almost guarantee you it's not nearly as much as you would have gained with something as simple and inexpensive as Cycle Shacks.

There is nothing you can do to overcome a restrictive pipe other then replacing it, you can adjust fuel to what the pipe wants, but the limitation is always going to be the pipe. On the other hand the differences are not all that big on a otherwise stock bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Slip on mufflers

I had a 2001 Ultra with a stage one kit, power commander II and Samson rolled thrunder mufflers on it. I had reversion at the back of the pipes when you would let off of the throttle (popping). I worked with Phil Dupree at Dynojet and I reprogrammed the PC II many times to get the pipes to stop popping. By resetting the PC II for different fuel settings at the popping RPM's I was able to stop about 70% of the reversion popping but not all. So I finally changed the slip on mufflers to, now get this, WILD PIG PIPES. I talked to George SR. at Miller Custon Parts in Daytona Fl. about my problem. He was more that helpful. I put the new mufflers on, reset the PC II to the right map # and guess what NO MORE POPPING. The sound of these pipes are great, not to loud and not to soft very mellow. Well I sold that bike and now I have a 2002 Ultra with this same set up except with a PC IIIr I love it. The price of these mufflers is right $159.95 per set you can't beat it. They come in straight or slash cut. If you need more info on this feel free to contact me. MOR PWR

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, everyone has their ideas, and whatever works, but you have to get used to the idea that when dealing with slip ons you can not compare the FLT's with any other model, because the exhaust layout is completely different.
Canister backpressure on the FLT's is much more critical as they pretty much put the exhaust from both cylinders thru just one of the canisters, and the Y pipe creates reversion and popping issues with some canisters that they never exhibit on the other models. Often the best solution is to block off the left exhaust completely and end up with the equivalent of a low end 2 into 1 system while maintaining the original look.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hippo,

Can you provide a rough idea of how the the following dresser slip-ons rank as far as loudness between the V&H Basics, the Samson Rolled Thunder, the Khrome Werks HP-Plus, and Screaming Eagle slip-ons?

I understand *loudness* and tone are saparate issues, I just wanted to get a Ballpark idea...

I just ordered the KW HP-Plus 100's for my '02 FLHTCI, and was told by some they would be too loud (I wanted loud).

I know sound, tone and loudness are kinda subjective. The Khrome Werks are said to have a very deep rumble compared to many, si went with them.

I originally planned on the V&H bagger slip-ons, but due to the larger axle nut (1"?) on the '02 baggers, V&H has not released their 2002 line yet.

Any input greatly appreciated...

Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Can you provide a rough idea of how the the following dresser slip-ons rank as far as loudness between the V&H Basics, the Samson Rolled Thunder, the Khrome Werks HP-Plus, and Screaming Eagle slip-ons?

Generally speaking my opinion is that the SEII's are relatively quiet and restrictive, the KW's are a little loud and deep, the V&H not quite as loud but deeper and the Samson's are close to the KW but higher pitched, not to say tinny.

Keep in mind that ALL the pipes sound considerably different depending on engine configuration, in particular depending on compression, the sound changes with age of the pipe, and that I'm half deaf anyway. LOL

The more we play with EFI bikes, the more our opinions change, and the more data you gather the more you realize that EFI definitely does not like some pipes. I have always been a Thunderheader fan, but it doesn't take a genius to realize EFI bikes just hate Thundercones, almost as much as Samson slip on's. I never much liked the disk systems, but with what we know right now it's hard to beat the E-pipes and Supertrapps of this world. Data however changes all the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hippo,
Thanks for the rough ranking. I ordered the Khrome Werks HP-Plus 100 slip-ons. They are targeted for bigger cubic inch dressers, but are supposed to work with stock, also. Sounds like I might not be able to hear my stereo -- oh well.

I wanted to retain the stock look, mostly, otherwise I would have gone for the 2:1 E-series, or Super Trapp disc as you mentioned. They are the best choice for HP/Torque from what I can read, and I know I am not utilizing a few ponies. My original choice was the V&H basic slip-ons, but their 2002 line won't be ready for a while (axle size change 2002?).

Can I bother you for one more question? Sound level wise, how do the Khrome Werks slip-ons compare to a 2:1 Thunder Header on a soft tail? Their not that loud, right?

Thanks for your input,
Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No, they are not that loud at cruise. The Thunderheader's are funny, in some ways they are the loudest thing there is short of open drag pipes, but for the most part only if you are behind the bike or at certain angles, and if you want to sneak in somewhere at night they can be kept surprisingly quiet. You never really know how these things work out until you live with them for a while, maybe that's why I'm so reluctant to change.

Actually I'm somewhat confused right now, and have no idea what's going on. The Glide I'm riding right now is almost stock other then a few gaskets here and there, including pipes. Sounds like a cop bike, but when you get on it it's just plain gone. I'll let you know when I figure this one out. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hippo, or anyone for that matter. I have an '02 Road King Police (FLHPI) and would like to go with new slip-on's with more throaty rumble, but not to loud, when I do the Stage 1 & Big Sucker Air. It was suggest that V&H Basic's would work great but they are not yet available for the '02. The next suggestion was the Hooker tuned flow's. What are your thought's regarding first the slip-on's and second the Big Sucker vs SE?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts