V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine just bought an 06 ultra and was considering putting on a set of true duals, the guys at the dealer say it can't be done yet, due to harley not having a map for the set-up. On his 04 model he put slip-ons only and never had any problems, no remap required. Is there a change in the 06 models that will affect the bike differently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Forelanne said:
A buddy of mine just bought an 06 ultra and was considering putting on a set of true duals, the guys at the dealer say it can't be done yet, due to harley not having a map for the set-up. On his 04 model he put slip-ons only and never had any problems, no remap required. Is there a change in the 06 models that will affect the bike differently.
Your buddy needs a new dealer!!

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I'm running tru-duals on my 06 Ultra and am running an 06 'softail w/shotgun exhaust' map from my SERT. Works great.

I agree, you need a new dealer, if he knows that little about the products and bikes they sell.:spank:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Forelanne said:
... it can't be done yet, due to harley not having a map for the set-up.
I heard this from a dealer, too. HD dealers don't have is the official, blessed by the Motor Company map. Aftermarket solutions are available, however.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I heard this similar conversation last night at my stealer's service desk with a new '06 owner with the exact dilemma.

They told him that they could do it but he would have to decide himself to ride without a recalibration but the dealer would not support him or make guarantees on how the bike would run. The Stealer then ran through options with him. Purchase a SERT with his Dual headers and slip-ons and of course labor and choose a calibration map from the provided CD. The Stealer also stated he would not install a PC on the bike for him either when the '06 owner asked. The owner keep insisting the dealer could just do a stage 1 or 2 flash, but Stealer stated he would not because the flash is not for his set up and he would not do it because he (owner) would most likely be back demanding it be corrected which he could not.

The stealer explained If he bought the SERT they could use a best guess map or he could spring for DYNO time to dial a map in for his setup. The dealer stated he had no experience with the set up he was going to put on so stated he would try out several of calibration for him on his dime.

When they ran the numbers the guy freaked out and left all pissed off saying he knows that this is being done. When the Stealer asked him to get the information from who ever had this done he would copy it but again would not support the work if it did not work to the owner's satisfaction. The '06 owner stormed out saying he has been screwed and should have bought the bike elsewhere.

I know he is headed down the street to the local independent shop for the Duals, Slip-ons and a PC. Most people I know going this route usually end up on a dyno two or three times unless they are using a previously debugged set up.

Finding a Stealer you can work with is most important. Particularly one that will talk to you and offer some alternatives and consider yours. Sometimes getting the best sale deal on the bike is not always the best as you will most likely need to get service above and beyond the scheduled maintenance especially for use geographically challenged in terms of other dealers.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I called the dealer and asked about a flash for my 05 flhti and they said they dont do flashes anymore harleys not making them u need to buy a race tuner

·
Registered
68 Posts
Forelanne, your buddy does need a new stealer. They can do it if they want, the problem is that most of them won't. He should find a really good indie shop (not easy to do), or spring for the custom dyno tuning/map. I have Rinehart tru duals and a stage 1 breather on my 05 EGC. I originally didn't get a SERT or PCIII, just the download. Well, that sucked (constrant popping and backfiring). I finally had my local dealer (Burlington, NC) put the PCIII on after deciding on the dyno tuning and a custom map. They had no problem with this arrangement at all. It's a bit more expensive, but I think worth it, since I seem to have found a bit more horsepwer in the bargain. I've had a couple of bikes and dealt with a few different dealers over the years, but my local guys are the best to work with (in sales and service) that I've ever come across.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Consider the dealers point of view weighed against the new 2006 EPA regs. He cannot modify or tamper with an EPA approved bike unless they want to risk a $20,000 fine per incident. For him to be legal, and still do what you want to do, the HD factory would have had to emission tested that exhaust on that bike model with that map and have it type certified with the EPA as 2006 compliant. The Moco is sure as he!! not gong to bear the expense of testing every aftermarket exhaust bike model combination with their SERT maps. Besides the time and expense involved, they'd likley have to tweak every map exahust combo to get it running under the allowed emissions outputs. for him to stay legal, he can install an SERT map (Stage 1 & II is epa certified on some models). but can't modify it, and can't install it on a bike where that map was not originally certified compliant with EPA. And, once you change the pipes too, your bike no longer matches the model certified complaint with that Map, so double jeapardy for you.

Physically, and reliability wise, you can do it yourself with the SERT. But don't expect the dealers to commit a federal crime on your behalf. And, you are also your own warranty center from that point forward when you change certified emissions components. Welcome to the new world order..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem, they dont have it right yet

Dealer in our area says they can do it and have done several dozen on a 2006 (I have a RK classic, 06). They say that yes, Harley has no one time flash. They will install any pipes that you want but only with the addition of a race tuner at about 400.00. Put that with the pipes and and labor and the tab pushes 1000.00, Even more if you elect to staty legal with the screamin eagle catalyst pipes. They didnt seem to have a problem removing the catalyst mufflers and indicated that PA for now does not have a "sniff test" for exhaust so state inspection isnt an issue. It is a shame to pay through the nose for the bike only to discover you are now going to get raped to get a little of the rumble you paid so much for. Prior to purchase when the dealers were gettin their feet wet on this 06 mess, the salesman of course said, no problem we can put any pipes on that you like. Another dealer not far from here (NY state) indicated that they have been doing a "one time flash" for aftermarket pipes but do not have any map from HD. They also indicated they have had some difficult avoiding popping and coughing and are holding up till HD comes up with the right configurations. Sound like if your dealer is willing to do anything with exhaust on an 06, he is in the experimental mode at your expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 06 SE ultra with a 103, I had the dealer install rinharts with a race tunner, and they dynoed the bike 97.6 HP with 99.6 lbs of torque. No problems at all and the bike runs like hell and sounds great. It can be done they just have to want to do it.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't waste your money

I have an 06 Street Glide with high flow air cleaner and samson rolled thunder slipons. I have all of the efi enhancements in the past stage one chip, power commander and the race tunner.

This time arround I used the race fueler and it works great. It is the best kept secret at the harley shop because if the secret gets out they will lose thousands of dollars on there dyno. The power commander and the race tunner are overkill for an air cleaner and slipons, save your money and get the race fueler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Race Fueler

The dealer flash will only work with high flow air cleaner and stock exhaust or active performance exhaust. I don't have any experiance with the V&H fuel pak it would probably work but I would just use Harley fueler I know that it works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
race fuler

Nunzio said:
The dealer flash will only work with high flow air cleaner and stock exhaust or active performance exhaust. I don't have any experiance with the V&H fuel pak it would probably work but I would just use Harley fueler I know that it works.
OK, what is this, and what does it co$t ?^rolleyez^

·
Registered
16 Posts
new pipes on 2006..hope they know what their doing

Purchased new screamin eagle slashcut mufflers, air cleaner kit, and race tuner for my 2006 RK Classic. With a 23% discount via the local dealers customer appreciation day this past weekend here in Erie, the parts came to about 750.00, 6% tax included. Was going to install the aircleaner and pipes myself and take it to the dealer to have it mapped. but have decided to let the dealer pull the catalyst mufflers off. They seem confident that this is the only way to do the pipes per HD although the indicated the air cleaner was recommended not absolutely required. The techician I talked to seemed very knowledgeable (Bob) and has done several dozen of the 06 conversions Will post how this works out

·
Registered
48 Posts
I will be very interested in your results !
This 06 Catalyst thing has a lot of folks asking questions. Some dealers are willing to make changes, and some are NOT. Some don't even know what is on the bike. I think the EPA has the MoCo running scared, and so are some the dealers.
WD

·
Registered
16 Posts
New pipes on 2006.. Looks like they knew what they were doing

Brought the 2006 RK Classic home today. It has about 750 miles on it. Had the Screamin Eagle Slash cut mufflers, Screamin Eagle Air filter, and Race Tuner installed and set up. The settings according to the dealer are specified for this set up by the HD, there is no guessing, but it takes the race tuner to do it correctly. Non Harley pipes and/mufflers (ie vance and hines) dictate getting the settings close with the race tuner and then hoping that you have a good technician to fine tune it. The bike sounds great and there is a noticable difference in performance. It very much feels that the engine is breathing better. The race tuner will provide the flexibility necessary should I decide on future modifications. I put about 20 miles on the bike on the way home and felt very good about my decision and what the dealer did. I was treated very well and everything was explained in detail to my satisfaction. Im sure that there will be confusion for a while until all the dealers are up to speed, but in a nut shell, its no problem if you stay with HD pipes or HD screamin eagle pipes. By the way, my local dealer is HD of Erie, PA., credit should be given for the good work, thorough explaination, and...all things considered....a fair price.

Randy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts