V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your oppinions please

After installing baffled slip on's, I noticed that the engine started to backfire while de-excelerating.

I was under the impression, that this is going to be solved after installing a stage one kit, what I got done this weekend by a Harley dealer - including flash upgrade.

Nothing basically changed - still massive backfire and no significant gain of power.

I checked the header gaskets to make sure they don't suck air - they seem to be ok.

Is this normal? Could it be that the dealer forgot the flash upgrade?

I also notice that the right pipe get's much hotter, than the left one. The inside of the right one is covered with black "dust" the left one is still clean.

As you already noticed, I'm new with Harleys - this is my first one - so I apologize for probably stupid questions.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I was originally going to tell you to check for a leak, but it almost sounds like you are having bigger problems than that...

Take it back to the Stealer and get it right!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Most all exhaust is out the right side
Popping on decell is normal to some degree not massive or from low rpms. Take it back to the guys that did the work ,nicely complane & make sure they test drive it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to the dealer today. As expected, he tries to convice me, that my non HD pipes are the reason for the back fire.

He recomended to buy a set of SE pipes this would solve the problem.

And now?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
One of two things. He knows they did not tune your bike right & will correct the problem apond fleacing you out of greens for the new pipes.
They change the pipes and it still pops, just not nearly as bad and then they say "thats normal".
The truth is that line had some bull. Regardless of the pipe the map can be tuned for the pipe problem is the S/E map is for there pipes. Live with it or get a second oppinon. Did they test drive it? Did you check the plugs ? See if there white, tan ect..

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can tell you the SE pipes wont fix it . I have SE pipes on my 2000 95" and as I put on more miles it pops more as it gets them burnt out more.
Oh yea the right pipe turns all kinds of purdy colors too, gets realy hot pulling the trailer.
Thinking about trying true duals and cleaning it up one more time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi flt,

whats the advantage of true duals ?

P.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Some mufflers are prone to do this. The flash upgrade is designed to work with SE components and the dealer has no control over that right now. Installation of a Power Commander would probably allow it to be fixed but would probably require a tune on a dyno by a knowledgeable operator. Power Commander is also pricey.

What slip ons did you install? Do you have a buddy that has some other type of slip ons you could try and see what happens??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ed Y,

thanks for your reply. I'm going to switch pipes with one of my buddies this we. I'll post the results.

My pipes are wild pigs - they sound awesome - the only problem is the fire.

By the way - thanks for all your replies folks - great forum !

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to admit, but the stealer was right.

Switched pipes last weekend with a buddy - absolutely no back fire with his screamin eagle pipes.

Sound is not half as good.

Remains to be decided - live with back fire and have great sound or sacrifice sound for zero back fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Burst60,

For what it's worth...... I have the 2-piece SE performance pipes. I've experimented with them quite a bit in terms of adjusting the sound. I've got 4,500 miles on them. I found that as the fiberglass wrap on the baffle 'burns down', the pipes will have a tendency to pop on decel. You don't say if you have the 2 piece or the1 piece. Mine never popped until I started removing some of the fiberglass. Right now I have about 40% of the fiberglass on the baffle. Nice sound.....only pops on cold decel. Once it warms up there's no popping.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
FI backfire on decel

Hmmm.
Guess the Wild Pigs must be a lot less restrictive than the SEs.
I rode a loaner FI while my carbed bike was being serviced. It had SE slip ons on it and absolutely no backfire, but then it had absolutely no decel from the motor either. The motor just seemed to go into a "coast and slowly slow down" when throttle closed. Is this normal for FI? If so, I don't see why they would backfire with anything. Of course, with lower restriction pipes, I suppose the mixture could be out of range of the FI system, and get really lean on decel. Actually probably really lean overall.
I would spend a few bucks and have it run on a dyno AND exhaust gas analyzer. We have a guy in town who will dyno for 25 bucks. Not sure if he has a EGA, but think most dyno shops do. Then you will KNOW how it is set up.
Good rides,
Don '02 E-Glide (carbed and happy with it)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talked to my stealer today. He told me that they have had good results with samson pipes when it comes to popping.
They seem to be pretty close to the back pressure settings of the SE's but louder.

He also told me that the 2000 and earlier EFI models are the most sensitive models conc. after market pipes - this is related to the injection brand. 97 to 00 used Magneti Marelli.

However, I think I give the samsons a try.

Any body interested in my Wild Pigs ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Burst60,

Just out of curiosity, which bike to you have. The only reason I ask is that in your last post you mention the different EFIs used in the 2000 and earlier models vs. those in 2001 and later. Your shop is correct (who would doubt them) regarding Softtail EFIs using Magneti in 2000 and earlier and moving to Delphi in 2001. However, it was only the Softtail that did this. The touring bikes continued to use Magneti in 2001 and didn't switch to Delphi until 2002. There's more sensors in the Delphi EFI system that allow the ECM to do a better job of running the engine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there,

its a 2000 model - very interesting what you are saying, I'm going to ask my stealer again, next time I be there.

Thanks and ride safe !

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a 2000 RK

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth......the backfiring seems to be a personal preference issue (as long as it's not excessive). I have a friend that has a 2000 RK EFI and he's running D&D mufflers. They're loud......and they backfire....cold....hot.....doesn't matter. He likes it that way and the dealer's told him "not to worry. The price you pay for less restrictive pipes". Me SE 2-piece pipes didn't pop when they were new. But after removing some of the fiberglass I get a little when I decel on a cold engine. Goes away when the engine gets hot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are right, it is a personal preference. For me the back fire is annoing my riding buddies like it.

Mounted the Samson Mufflers the stealer recomended today.

Absolutely no back fire - the sound is good - not too loud, nice deep rumble.

So, this problem seems to be solved and my Wild Pigs are defenitely for sale now. 75 bucks + shipping - drop me a mail if interested.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Question for you, brust60. Rate the sound of the Wild Pigs vs. SE vs. the Sampsons. Which Sampsons did you go with? I'm considering Hooker, Sampsons and V&H. I want something with removable baffles, which I guess will give me more options to alter sound and performance. Thanks in advance. J.T.
P.S. It's a 2002 RK which is carb.ed. Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.