V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after getting no responses to my V&H Stepped Drag post, I assumed that meant they didn't merit one. So, I've decided to explore other options and again I'm asking for your advice.

I've decided to go the slip-on route for now because I have no immediate plans to increase the displacement of my stock TC88. Basically because I figure I might as well let the warranty expire before touching it. I will however do the stage 1 EFI kit along with the SERT.

My question is, which of the following would be a better choice for performance and deep throaty sound?

1. SE II's
2. Python III
3. Cycle Shack 2 1/2"
4. Khrome Werks 2 1/2" HP-Plus

Bottom line is, I'm looking for a good performing pipe that looks and sounds great. I prefer the 2-2 look over 2-1 and I prefer staggered shotgun style over something like V&H Big Shots. I wouldn't be adverse to using Thunder Monster baffles if they will offer an improvement over the OEM ones either.

I have a stock 06 FXSTBI that need some "attention".

Thanks in advance.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Hogndaas said:
Okay, after getting no responses to my V&H Stepped Drag post, I assumed that meant they didn't merit one. So, I've decided to explore other options and again I'm asking for your advice.

I've decided to go the slip-on route for now because I have no immediate plans to increase the displacement of my stock TC88. Basically because I figure I might as well let the warranty expire before touching it. I will however do the stage 1 EFI kit along with the SERT.

My question is, which of the following would be a better choice for performance and deep throaty sound?

1. SE II's
2. Python III
3. Cycle Shack 2 1/2"
4. Khrome Werks 2 1/2" HP-Plus

Bottom line is, I'm looking for a good performing pipe that looks and sounds great. I prefer the 2-2 look over 2-1 and I prefer staggered shotgun style over something like V&H Big Shots. I wouldn't be adverse to using Thunder Monster baffles if they will offer an improvement over the OEM ones either.

I have a stock 06 FXSTBI that need some "attention".

Thanks in advance.
#4.............................................................................................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
V&h Bss...

SEDELUXE05 said:
whats wrong with the v&hbss that you do not like?
alot of guys put the thunder baffle in and have good results.
I have no doubts that it is a great sounding pipe with more than acceptible performance. I just don't like the look of the two pipes running side-by-side. I prefer the staggered/shotgun style. Although, I just saw on another thread a point I hadn't thought of. Seems with a pipe like the BSS, I don't have to worry about my passenger putting their feet on the pipes because it's too close to the pipe.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I agree with the Khrome Werks...Just installed a set on my 05 FXDi. I hear Cycle Shacks are nice (and loud), but they the stock heat shields don't cover up the mounting brackets all the way (or something like that). I read that and saw some images in a post a month ago (or so).

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Not sure if the python 3 slip ons are different sounding then the full pipes. I had the full pipes on an EVO, and they were deep and had a bark. Very loud though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the SE II's on my fatboy, sounds deep, nice sound. I am going to change to VH BSS, like the looks and want a little louder

My brother just picked up his 06 delux this weekend, and had the dealer put on cycle shack's turn downs, louder than mine..look nice also

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
KromeWerks

I had the KromeWerks slipons on my Sportster and they were wonderfull. I traded them for a ProPipe when I souped up the engine because then they were too loud. The guy I sold them to also loves them. If I ever went the slipon route agin I would get them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You..

Thanks for the great replies! Sounds like they're all good choices for slip-ons. I was really hoping for an overwhelming favorite, but I'll take what I can get.

I've now started looking at the AR3's and the ProPipe too... Even though I said I don't like the look of the 2-1... This is not going to be easy I can tell.:wacko:

Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rinehart just came out with a pair of slip-ons as well.. I just put them on my bike... and like the results so far... relatively mellow until you open it up.. then it lets out a deep bark... nice at highway speeds too.. like the looks as well...

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I use the cycle shacks on my 1200S with some modifications.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hogndaas said:
This is not going to be easy I can tell
You're not allowed to get it right the first time with exhaust, seats, handlebars or windshields. But, best bang for the buck is Cycle Shack slip-ons. You can get them for $100 or so and sell them if/when you get tired of them. I had a set of them for about a year and finally traded them in on a Pro Pipe. Performance was better with the Cycle Shacks, but they were a little loud.

Cdouthitt, those Krome Werks baffles look kind of unique. The heat shields on my Dyna covered the clamps up fine with CS muffs, depends on how far up the pipe you put the clamp (at least on my Dyna).
P.S. you've got way too many footpegs on that FXD!!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I thought that may have been the case with the CS and heat shields.

You're right about the pegs...but the wife has very long legs, and she always complained about how sore her knees would get (while sitting on the back). I'm not sure that she's all too happy about the adjustable pegs from Kuryakan, so I may take them off and try the Pegrizers. Oh better yet, I could start planting the seed about a new Road King or Electraglide.:whistle:

murphdog said:
Cdouthitt, those Krome Werks baffles look kind of unique. The heat shields on my Dyna covered the clamps up fine with CS muffs, depends on how far up the pipe you put the clamp (at least on my Dyna).
P.S. you've got way too many footpegs on that FXD!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Results...

So far it looks like 3 votes for both the Cycle Shacks and Khrome Werks, 2 for the Python III, and 1 for the SE II's. Thanks again for all the great input. I still haven't decided and am quite sure I won't get it right the first time, but anything has to be better than the stock sewing machine sound!

I do want to make sure that whatever I get has a removable baffle just in case I decide I would like to try the Thunder Monster Baffles.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Se Ii

Markfatboy05 said:
I have the SE II's on my fatboy, sounds deep, nice sound. I am going to change to VH BSS, like the looks and want a little louder

My brother just picked up his 06 delux this weekend, and had the dealer put on cycle shack's turn downs, louder than mine..look nice also
Mark The SE IIs were on my considered list. Looking for something louder but not too loud. Would the SEs be worth a look. Thanks ken

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am deciding on slip-ons, as well.

I have narrowed it down to either

HP+ or Cycle Shack.

I don't want the loudest pipes,
I am looking for the best performance vs. best price !

Just got a stock air cleaner assembly (from ebay)
and I am going to open up the bottom and
go with a K&N

- also any suggestions on re-jet ????

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Best performing of the choices listed is Cycle Shack. Very good performers from what all the engine builders say. Go to Nightrider.com and look at all the engine builds using Cycle Shack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the kromeworks hp+ you get a deeper sound due to the glass packing.
The cycle shacks you get a louder, raspier sound with all steel baffle.
Performance is good with both. Chrome, fit, and finish is better on the hp+ IMO. Bang for buck is better with CS. With that said, I prefer hp+.

Bob

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you bend the diverter tab in the Cycle Shack baffle about the width of a broomstick or yardrake handle (old trick), the raspiness goes away and the tone gets deeper. Just a little tip for you cheapskates out there.:whistle:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Used khrome werks mufflers and systems for many years, good performance, nice deep sound. Here is another option: while looking into system change for my fat boy and thinking about slip ons (w/standard softail head pipes) I talked to engine builder at Maroney's HD, NY state. Said they were getting really good numbers and broad torque band w/ s&s 3" slip ons. (may be made by kw) KW also has mufflers out now that look identical to s&s.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts