V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about welding a thin metal round plate with a one inch hole drilled in the center on my right hand V&H basic slip on inner baffle to even out the exhaust flow. Most of the exhaust flow comes out of the right pipe when both muffler baffles are open to the same size. Unlike the stock mufflers that restrict the right muffler to cause more exhaust flow to exit the left side.

This seems to make the exhaust note more even sounding, unlike the V&H mufflers that have an uneven sound with most coming out of the right muffler. Any ideas or comments? Has anyone tried this? There must be a reason the factory attempts to have the exhaust flow evened out through both mufflers. Tuning, even exhaust sound maybe?

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
A proven way to make more power with the stock FLH header it to put a somewhat restrictive muffler on the left side and a free flowing pipe on the right. For instance, my SuperTrapp slipons have 6 discs on the left and 18 on the right.
Putting a cork in the right side pipe will reduce power and probably create heat issues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
muleskinner said:
I'm thinking about welding a thin metal round plate with a one inch hole drilled in the center on my right hand V&H basic slip on inner baffle to even out the exhaust flow. Most of the exhaust flow comes out of the right pipe when both muffler baffles are open to the same size. Unlike the stock mufflers that restrict the right muffler to cause more exhaust flow to exit the left side.

This seems to make the exhaust note more even sounding, unlike the V&H mufflers that have an uneven sound with most coming out of the right muffler. Any ideas or comments? Has anyone tried this? There must be a reason the factory attempts to have the exhaust flow evened out through both mufflers. Tuning, even exhaust sound maybe?
Your OEM System is basically a 2 into 1 set up, the crossover allows quieter running and assists in maintaining a degree of performance while meeting EPA Standards, approx. 80 percent of exhaust flow is out the right side, blocking your main flow path to achieve a certain sound would be detrimental to the operation of your engine. Are you talking about the 07 Exhaust systems that have a real muffler on the right and a blocked off Echo Chamber on the left to make more noise at Idle? Or some of the CA exhausts with convertors, There are no 49 state U.S.factory mufflers I have encountered that are more restrictive on the right side. Perhaps you could give an example.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock 07 mufflers do not have cats, they are as you describe. But at idle you feel the same ammount of exhaust pressure coming out of the left side pipe as the right side. It also blends the sound more. The V&H pipes seem to make all of the sound come out of the right side at idle, giving the exhaust a one pipe type pop, pop, pop, sound. Also very little exhaust gas pressure comes out of the left side muffler at idle. I wondered if this was a design function of the stock OEM mufflers and if they were designed to make more torque??

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
It is a design function of the OEM headpipe. It is telling you it wants to put the majority of the exhaust gasses out the right side. At first glance it's a goofy system, but it works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just get rid of the cross over entirely and put a true dual system. 50/50 all the way. It also greatly reduces the heat on the right side. A properly tuned true dual system can increase your power by up to 15-20%.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Jaybo said:
. A properly tuned true dual system can increase your power by up to 15-20%.
Dunno what ad copy you been reading but that is not the case. Compared to other aftermarket exhausts and slip-ons true duals may help a little, usually they don't. Often they cost a few hp.
Even the best aftermarket exhaust won't give that kind increase over the restrictive stockers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts