V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it ok to run slick 50 in a twin cam roadking EFI.??
I have used it in other cars and things but never tried it in a bike. I am a witness to this stuff working.
please email me with comments.
[email protected]

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
While I'm no mechanical genius, the folks who are invariably recommend H-D oil or one of the V-twin synthetics. I can't imagine what Slick 50 would do for....or to....an air-cooled V-twin. I'd personally never use it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a publication called "Nutz And Boltz" much like the Motorcycle Consumer News that years ago did some tests with Slick 50 and PTFE stuff. Apparently there is a temperature issue where that stuff could very easily just sit in the oil pump or journals and block oil flow to the rest of the engine. Oil companies say not to add anything to their oils and I tend to believe that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I, like you, am looking to "baby" my twin cam to get the longest life out of it. I have done a load of reading on line and off and have decided to switch to synthetic oil. I just added it for my 5000 mile service and as soon as this horrible winter weather clears, I'll be posting my initial results, ie: increased mileage, smoother starts, etc.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
There have been several publications over the years about NOT using Slick50 or other such products in a Harley. The one point that all of them brought out was the fact that the rod bearings would slide and not turn as designed. Slick50 and such products are made for babbitt/insert type bearings and not roller bearings. My opinion, don't use it.

Happy riding !!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Slick 50 is Marketing Bunk!!

To make Teflon bond to metal, it must be baked on at over 500 f. in a laboratory, not mixed & bathed in oil at 210 f.

Think of your non-stick frying pan, how would the Teflon ever stick to the metal if it was bathed in oil the whole time?

Also, Harley oil filters filter down to 10 microns, which would filter out the PTFE before it ever reaches the engine (harley 88's filter oil before it circulates).

Don't add anything to oil!!!

If anything, switch to synthetic, but even then you won't see any appeciable wear difference, because the engine was designed around conventional oils.

I have done a lot of research on this subject.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Slick 50 has been sued by the FTC for false advertising just like nearly all other oil additives have been. There is no industry regulation for them so they get carried away and some of them wil actually hurt your motor while others will only hurt your wallet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
All vehicle owners manuals say the same thing...

"do not add additives to oils..."

·
Registered
5 Posts
All of the oil additives are crap. If you want to baby it.....just check your oil levels often and make sure you loctite nearly everything.
ABSOLUTLY! You know who "rides" and who don't, "W-e H-aul O=ur R-ides E-verywhere"....
Loctite & regular service with "Quality" components...F-ace T-he W-ind

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
Running Slick 50 is for new vehicles on one with lots of miles will clean deposits away and you will soon see smoke from your exhaust. When it quits smoking you will have to do a complete rebuild. I don't recommend it.2¢

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts