V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the hd shop last week and there was a Buell that was tore down. I asked the mechanic what was up,and he told me that this guy from PA. was running Red Line Synthetic oil and the bearings skated. He showed me the tore up cages and believe it or not,the roller bearings were square and some were flat on 2 sides. As you can imajine,the motor was tore up. It took a complete rebuild,and what shocked me was HD paid for it since it was less than 1 year old. Any way,this is somthing that may have been due to bad bearings,or the oil he was running. ???? Somthing to ponder over isn't it? I ran Amsoil on my last trip and wound up with 2 lifters that malfuncioned. Replaced all 4 and the hd extended warranty paid for it. But I wonder? I have used Mobil 20-50 before and every thing seemed OK,but it was too expensive,and hard to find. I just thought this would be interesting to post......Ralph

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Skating bearings?

It would depend on wether you are talking roller skates or ice skates. :D

Wayne claimed he didn't know a thing about them.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
HIPPO said:
Damn, I'm confused again. :D

Yes you are, but now that you have more than 1,000 posts, congradulations!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have heard that synthetic oil can be too slippery and instead of the roller bearings rolling they actually skid or in this case "skate". When they skid they wear flat spots in the rollers and then fail. The only thing that makes me wonder a bit is HD warranty covered it.

hmmmm.....
calvin3

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
calvin3, if your dealer is telling you stuff like this about synthetic oil, what other lies is he telling you??? Are you hearing this from the dealer?

Whoever is saying these things, they are lies, calvin3! Lies!!!! Ask your dealer to write down those things he/she is telling you. Tell them you want to check 'em out. See if they do it. Betcha' a trip to Kal-i-forn-i-A that the dealer won't do it. I'll even throw in a drink with the air. ;) Also, I'll betcha' that you'll NEVER hear the MoCo saying what the dealer says.

calvin3, if you run a search, you'll see that I run H/D dino oil. My choice. Without lies and untruths. Just a choice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jim, nevermind that he works for HD:D

I burn, I mean use, Mobil 1 15w-50 FWIW.

G

·
calvin3 said:
I have heard that synthetic oil can be too slippery and instead of the roller bearings rolling they actually skid or in this case "skate". When they skid they wear flat spots in the rollers and then fail. The only thing that makes me wonder a bit is HD warranty covered it.
calvin3
This rumor has been around a while. Problem is that it defies logic. If the oil was that darn slippery the bearing wouldn't wear, because there would be a film of oil over it.... If the oil wasn't that darn slippery, the bearing would turn ...

Real question is - what makes bearings fail? - my guesses would be overheat, lack of oil or a plain ol' bad part. If H-D replaces a bearing under warranty, I guess they must think it was a bad part.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Boy oh boy! This topic for some reason always raises that hairs on the backs of folks.

The oil change schedule, using HD Dino oil is fine. As far as I am concerned, the use of synthetics has shown no advantage that can be documented but IS prone to leaking.

If you are cutting across country and run into a situation where you need some damn oil, I would much prefer to be running HD Dino as you will have no problem anywhere getting the supply.

Rumor or not about skidding and the like. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The ONLY time you wander from the OEM recomendation is when you have SOLID EVIDENCE of a PMA product improvement.

Where the hell is the data supporting product improvement by going to synthetics?

One thing that speaks volumes is that HD is responsible for the warranty they publish. I really don't think they would chance costly repairs under warranty in order to stick their name on some oil that they don't produce.

If the other oils were so much better, they would stick their name on them and recomend them.

This ain't rocket science y'all.

·
Registered
629 Posts
JimmyK said:
This ain't rocket science y'all.
You should stop by one of thier labs:eek:

I believe H-D will put thier name on whatever came in as the lowest bidder, and you will get that quality. All oil goes through a testing phase to be sure that it can do the minimum job. As long as you run the proper grade, you have no worries. I have known people to run Penzoil in cars, and with proper maintanence reach excellent mileage out of thier engines. Proper maintanence is the key.

I will stick with synthetics for various reasons of my choice. I run Mobil because it isn't too hard to find out on the road. Much easier to find Mobil 1 then it is to find a H-D oil.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yup, that rumor has been floating around for years. The whole "skating" assertion strikes me as contradictory. If the bearing is "skating" due to the lack of enough friction to make it rotate, then how in the heck can it wear enough to flat spot? If there is enough friction to cause wear, why would that same friction be inadequate to make the bearing rotate? Seems bizzare to me...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Which oil to use??????????

I do believe that we have had several threads on that, just scroll around, and start reading. You will have to make up your own mind as to what oil to use.

Ride Safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts