V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 Dyna FXDX, highly customized, including Low Rider tank. My dilema is I have a Badlander seat, and would like to add a sissy bar/luggage rack combo to the bike for infrequent overnight trips to attach a SAC bag, and back support for the misses when she rides. Trouble is, I ride this bike on a regular basis, but show the bike at various bike shows, and usually win 1st. I like the idea of detachable side bars so I can remove the whole combo for shows, but the detachable side plates require relocqation of my rear bullet turn signals, and uses a stalk that is fugly and would detract from the looks of the bike. I am also not crzy about permanent sidebars since they too dtract from the looks of the bike. I am throwing this out to get tohers opinions about permanent vs. detachables, or any aftermarket detachables someone might have experience with. I am making my Xmas list, and would like to include these items on the list. Please post pics of yours or others bikes with the aformentioned kits installed, or any other brilliant solutions you may have come up with. I have attached a pic of the bike. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
That's a tough one. I also think the detachables look fugly when they're on the bike.

Seeing as I'm so lazy and am unlikely to detach anything, just leaving it on for the SO and kid, I went for the fixed version.

The good thing is you can't see either of them when you're riding....

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Good looking bike - and no fugly eyebrow either!

·
Registered
875 Posts
dude, I like your garage!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I get more comments on the garage than the house, scooter, or anything else I own. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
****...that garage is cleaner than my house! Was it just cleaned for the picture or are you one of those anal people that can't have a grease spot in the garage?

Your question...well I for one agree that the detachable part is pretty ugly. If I were as into showing my bike as you are...I would think that hooking up with a good machinest and buying some raw metal to machine out a really FINE looking custom setup by using the factory setup as a template would be the way to go.
How about custom cutting some metal plates (using the factory ones as a guide in a really trick looking angle to match the seat and fender perfectly then having that chromed. THEN...get an upholstry professional to custom make a sissy pad to match the seat and shape of your custom backrest. It will cost more, but it will be YOUR design and a TRUE custom part. For the show aspect it seems that would increase the showmanship of your bike.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think the little mini bar looks cool with the badlander seat. dont fix know rack problem though. You got a 95" in there?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Originally posted by Kags You got a 95" in there?
Actually, it's got a 103" Stroker kit, ported "HTCC" heads, Mikuni 44mm flat-side carb, 7000 rpm race ignition, and a lot of other high performance goodies. Horsepower is 120+. She's a quick little scoot, and still scares me sometimes.

I might use the mini bar like you said, and buy a low bar/luggage rack combo to swap out when we take a trip. The mini would suffice in keeping the misses from sliding off the back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the mini bar with the badlander seat. It keeps the old ladys caboose aboard. When i go on a long trip i change to the bigger bar and pad that came with the bike (2000 FXDWG) so it acts like a back rest. I take the mini along and change it when i get there.

Earnhardt #3

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Chrome headlamp

What setup are you using for the headlamp?

I have a FXDL and was lookiung to do something suimilar, getting rid of the eyebrow and fitting a chrome body.

I'd really appreciate knowing the solution you've adopted.

cheers

Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Chrome headlamp

Michael Benis said:
What setup are you using for the headlamp?

I have a FXDL and was lookiung to do something suimilar, getting rid of the eyebrow and fitting a chrome body.

I'd really appreciate knowing the solution you've adopted.

cheers

Mike
The light is off a XL1200 Sportster, mounted to the triple tree. For Xmas, wife gave me a headlight rim ring, and turn signal trim rings with lenses. that make all the lights appear "frenched" in. Gave me exactly the look I was after. The headlight always seemed a tad small for the front end to me. Adding the trim ring realy made the difference.

If you have the latest Harley parts catalogue, look on page #83(E). Shows the headlight with the trim ring, and the mounting I adopted for the triple tree.

Page #149 (G) shows the bullet trim rings for the turn signals. I relocated my front signals to the fork below the headlight. Never liked them on the bars.

I used a chrome handlebar clamp frpm an FXR that has the instrument lights (turn signal, oil, high beam, neutral) within the clamp since I wanted to maintain these lights. Can't see it in the picture. If you are serious, I could take some photos showing the various changes that you are interested in.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Re: chrome headlamp

Thanks for the info. I'd certainly appreciate the pics if you can spare the time.

I'm going to leaf through the catalogue this evening.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Yes, the turn signal setup is in the stock position for an FXDXT, 'relocated' at the factory to the license plate mount to make room for the saddlebags. For other models, H-D sell the relocation hardware in a kit so you can move the turn signals from the fender to the license plate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Re: chrome headlamp

Michael Benis said:
Thanks for the info. I'd certainly appreciate the pics if you can spare the time.

I'm going to leaf through the catalogue this evening.

Cheers

Mike
I will attach a few pics I took today. Sorry for the delay..been real busy around here. Let me know if you need more pics or additional detail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts