V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a '06 RG and want to add on Sirius satellite radio....Has anyone come up with a way to have the stock radio control a receiver for Sirius? I know you can buy the XM receiver thru the dealer, but don't want XM.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have seen some head units designed to work with either but never heard of anyone converting a head unit designed for XM to work with Sirius. We had both XM and Sirius, use neither now, but the head unit in the wife's car is designed for Sirius. If it would work with XM we would consider XM again. I don't think we will ever go back to Sirius.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
jayw said:
Got a '06 RG and want to add on Sirius satellite radio....Has anyone come up with a way to have the stock radio control a receiver for Sirius? I know you can buy the XM receiver thru the dealer, but don't want XM.
HD has a contract with XM........which is too bad.

I heard the other day that they are coming out with a replacement "brain" for the XM radios in GM cars and such that will make them work with Sirius. I don't know if this will also work with HD radios, but you might want to email Sirius and find out.

The way XM is losing stuff lately, maybe HD will switch over to Sirius.

Steve

·
Registered
967 Posts
Also heard about the new brain that converts XM to Sirius. I understand that XM just lost NASCAR for next year. Sirius is becoming very big now with Stern fans also, don't think XM will last in the future. I hooked my Sirius up to my EG Classic originally, but went ahead and installed it in my car for good. My iPod goes with me on long rides now.

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Other options

I'm an avid satellite radion user and I can tell you that as of now, there is no way to hook up your HD Radio to work with Sirius. It has an XM Brain, and will only accept their technology.

So, you can do what I did and either install an aftermarket plug and play adapter, or change your head unit all together. (I took the second option).

I than sold my 06 Stock HD Radio for $700.00 on Ebay! So, I actually made money on the deal.

Trust me...the HD Radio is not all that great. Some people just want it to say HD. I'd rather it said Pioneer.

As for making the hand controls work, I put in a "Biketronics" kit. Mike over at Biketronics now has one available to work with the Pioneer radio, keeps the hand controls, allows you to have Sirius Satellite, and has the Auto Volume Control!

Best $200.00 I've spent!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know for a car its just a matter of a converter type box if you replace the xm converter with a sirius converter it should work

·
Still alive
546 Posts
I use my sirius one unit and move it between the car and bike. The unit is just small enough that I can put it in the windshield pouch, cut a hole in the bottom for the antenna wire and run it behind the fairing. Use the cig out to plug in the power supply. This way I can move between the two. I store the power adapter in the puch when not in use. I may try to hard wire directly to the back of the lighter if I can figure out how to do that

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use the sirrius startrack with fm modulator and antenna in the fairing mounted on top of the hd radio unit with the 1x3 tuner mounted either in a windsheild bag or its small enough to velcro or zip tie in several places. (I just painted my inner fairing so have it in a waterproof plastic sleeve zip tied to my clutch cable-kinda cheesey, but I wanted to look at my new paint job for awhile!!) I am able to view the display and work the buttons this way. Has 18 presets and the only problem I've had was with the antenna wire breaking until I got a better satellite antenna from crutchfields.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sarge12R said:
Also heard about the new brain that converts XM to Sirius. I understand that XM just lost NASCAR for next year. Sirius is becoming very big now with Stern fans also, don't think XM will last in the future. I hooked my Sirius up to my EG Classic originally, but went ahead and installed it in my car for good. My iPod goes with me on long rides now.
Really???
Maybe you should advise Wall Street and the Sirius Stock Holders.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P116156.asp

·
Half Fast Rider
94 Posts
Mounting Radio

Hello

I have a Sirius Starmate replay I use . I have it setup also to switch from my truck to my bike. I use the Sirius ant. for the truck and bought seperate ant. for the bike which I have mounted on the radio under the fairing. I got a seperate power cord and hardwired into back of stcok cig.lighter and ran both wires out thru fairing to radio. I use a Ram mount that I have mounted in the fairin on the upper left side... I love my Sirius no more local stations for me....

Glen

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I used a RAM Mount for a XM Roady and adapted it to my Sirius Starmate. I needed audio volume control and happened onto a close out deal on the Starmate. I got the set up from Cycle Goodies with the antenna mount. I just take the RAM Mount arm loose from the bike, attach it to a suction cup mount on the windshield of my cage and play through the FM. I'd like to deal with all the antenna wire, if I could find a way to shorten the Antenna cable, but have it coiled up in some wire harness wrap so if I need to I can unwrap it and attach to the car roof.
The audio out is connected to an AutoCom intercom input which plays right into the helmet.Works great!
I could take some photos later in the week if anyones interested.
Sam

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
06HawgSG said:
Really???

havent been here for a while, but I have to say when it comes to motorcycles and Sat radio, every after market add on I have seen on dressers have been largly XM units. This past trip to Datona Bike week I counted like 10 to 1 ratio in favor of XM

·
Registered
755 Posts
06HawgSG said:
Really???

Well since my fuckin time machine went titsup last week (probably because I didn't use Syn-3 in all 3 holes) I guess I am relegated to posting a link from THIS YEAR to keep things honest... :blink:

<LINKY>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sirius is the only way to go . You get all the music plus Stern and if you guys have never heard Bubba the love sponge you dont know what your missing he is insane. Oh yeah i do own stock in sirius.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts