V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed here before, but I really didn't get what I was looking for in previous posts.

I'm looking to get a Sirius radio on my bike. Well, not the actual radio, but a reciever. So far all I have been able to find is a mount for the XTR1 reciever and a mount for a reciever that Sirius no longer makes (well, if they make it I can't find it).

Are there any other mounts for any other recievers or am I tied to just this one? If anybody has another reciever mounted to their bike (handlebar mount, not winshield pouch) do you have any pictures of it?

Again, I'm looking at just the Sirius, not the XM.

Thanks for the help

darrell

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I just recently bought the Sirius Sportster Replay model for home and car. The cradle that it comes with has 4 tapped holes on the back for mounting. Also included is a pivoting bracket which attaches with a suction cup. If you're handy, and creative, you could make a bracket and maybe use hose clamps to attach to your bars. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but if you do it clean, it might just do it for you.
A cigarette adapter is the power connection, as well as an antenna which looks like a flat oreo cookie. It also has the FM modulation kit, so you can link with a radio if you already have that onboard your bike.
Keep in mind, linking with the radio would be more preferred although not ideal for clarity sakes, for bike mounting, since you can control volume via the radio. If you use the cradle and direct connect to speakers, you have to use the remote for volume control. One thing for sure, for home use, its pretty neat, we love it, especially for NFL broadcasts.

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
I installed the Sirius Starmate Replay on my 05 Ultra last week. Took about 45minutes from start to finish. The radio is installed on the right side of my handlebar using a highly adjustable ram-mount. The magnetic antenna is inside the fairing attached to the radio. I'm using the aux input on the radio and it sounds great (no ground loop isolator needed). I've got pics if your interested and can provide more installation details as well. Total cost not including the radio was about $55.00.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wolf,

If you could provide some pics and a few more details it'd be highly appreciated. The replay was the model I've been looking at

thanks
darrell

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I noticed some of the new receivers have only 5 numeric buttons (1-5) - how do you enter the other numbers with these?

Thanks, John

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
Here's my installation. The receiver is mounted on the right side of the handle bar, but it could also be installed on the left side just as easily.

MOUNT: I purchased the mount through http://www.expressmounts.com. I purchased the black plastic components but they also sell them in chrome albeit more expensive. The mount has three parts. There is the U-clamp which fits around the handle bar (RAM-B-231U) and connects to a 1.75 inch arm. I used a 1.75 inch arm and it connects between the U-clamp and the receiver (RAM-B-201U-A). They make these in different lengths. The last component of the mount is the plate that fits between the 1.75 inch arm and the back of the receiver. It's a circular plate that accepts AMPS type fittings. I have both the Sportster and the Starmate Replay and I can use the mount for either receiver. Total cost for the mount not including shipping was $33.85.

ANTENNA: I took off the front of the fairing and placed the magnetic antenna on top of the radio. I fed the coax from the receiver through a grommet (see photo) in the fairing. No problems with reception.

POWER: I routed the DC power cord from the receiver through the same grommet as the antenna. I then tapped into a wire that feeds power to the cigarette lighter (inside the fairing) and attached a female 12V accessory outlet. I then plugged the receivers supplied power cable into the receptacle. The 12V accessory outlet is available at Radio Shack for about $7.00 (part 270-1556).

AUDIO: There are two ways to get audio to the speakers. You can either use the FM modulator (least desirable way) or you go directly to the Aux input on the HD Radio for enhanced sound quality. I used a 6 foot cable with 1/8 inch plugs on both ends and added 90 degree adapters. I coiled the excess wire and neatly secured it inside the fairing. I didn't need a ground loop isolator. The cable and 90 degree adapters are available at Radio Shack.

I currently have the wires that run from the receiver to the grommet (along the handle bar) in the fairing secured together with small wire ties. I plan to either use heat shrink tubing or windshield washer fluid hose to cover/conceal the wires to give it a better look (fewer exposed wires).

I've got more pictures. Let me know and I can email them to you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Wolf. Great pics and an excellent discription. Now I'm not so hesitant to do it myself.

thanks
darrell

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
The Stream Jockey (XTR1) motorcycle mount also comes with a rain protector cover too. I installed the Stream Jockey on my Ultra but the Starmate Replay is even smaller and would fit nicely on it.

·
Still alive
546 Posts
Wow, you get a good signal with the antenna in the fairing. My wife wants to listen to Howard on the way to work so I need to put one in her car. When I called up tech support they told me I couldn't even mount the antenna on the dash because the window would prevent the signal from being received.

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
The antenna works fine in the fairing. I typically get 3 bars of signal strength. On rare occasion, I've briefly lost the signal when traveling through heavily wooded areas. In my truck, I always use the antenna on my dash and it works fine.

I'm not sure if signal strength is different in different parts of the country, but here in TX I have no problem with my current configuration.

·
Still alive
546 Posts
Thanks for the info on mounting...........I sometimes wonder if these people have a clue. What I want to do is just put the antenna on either the dash or the back deck because she has a very slanted rear window. I figured this way I can easily move it when she gets a new car in the spring. I have the three pouch thing on my windshield so I can just stick the head unit there and run a power wire. I use my lighter plug for my gps so I will need to take power from someplace else.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Have ya'll seen these $49.95 + shipping? top plates change so your're not stuck with only one.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Radio Shack just had a killer deal on the Sirius Starmate. It was $29.99 after rebate. I was tempted to pick it up so I could compare the XM that I have to the Sirius. But they sold out.

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
Monstermile said:
Radio Shack just had a killer deal on the Sirius Starmate. It was $29.99 after rebate. I was tempted to pick it up so I could compare the XM that I have to the Sirius. But they sold out.

I dumped XM for Sirius a few months ago. I like the music and Howard much better. O&A are not funny and all they did was just go on and on about Howard and how much better they were, and it was really getting pathetic. The production value wasn't there and they were gross to the point of not being funny. Just gross to be gross with no real humor behind it.
I am a child of the 70's and 80's music and Sirius came through with the music I like to listen to.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Any one looking for XM or SIRIUS mounts for that gift under the tree :thumbsup: let me know these are the most solid mounts out there I think, and look better on a Harley than any I've seen :yes: CNC machined out of T-6 6061 Best 49.95 you'll ever spend!:clap:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts