V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal I own outright a 05 Ultra Classic. I need to sell the bike.

I had a small stroke and would be afraid of riding and having another so I need to give up riding and maybe even driving.

My dilemina is that what is the best way to sell her?

I have additional chrome goodies and stuff on it. Am I better to revert it back to stock and sell all the goodies on ebay or just sell it outright ? I appreciate any advice you all may have.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My advice, put it on ebay with a reserve and maybe advertise it elsewhere as is and see if you can get what you want. If not, then take off stuff and sell it seperately and try again. From what you are saying it does not sound like you need to move it in a hurry so time is on your side.

Sorry to here about your stroke. Hope everything is ok.

·
Registered
547 Posts
call up the local dealer and see if they will sell it for you...the salesman at our local dealer has a notebook that he keeps "customers" bikes in...doesn't seem to mind giving out the numbers, so maybe you'll have luck

you'll probably be better off getting the bike close to stock as possible, then selling it

most people, unless they ride alot, don't understand the value in all the goodies

sorry to hear about your situation...hope your recovery is speedy

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Perhaps a post in the classified section on VTF...afterall, it's free. See if you get any nibbles. Doesn't hurt to try for a week or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you really need to sell? :dunno:
I had a small stroke on Jan. 02, 2006 at the age of 53.

I did not ride for two months (balance & fatique).

I am just now starting to enjoy riding again. I still can't go far from home in case I get tired, but at least I am riding!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stroke

Dog Folks said:
Do you really need to sell? :dunno:
I had a small stroke on Jan. 02, 2006 at the age of 53.

I did not ride for two months (balance & fatique).

I am just now starting to enjoy riding again. I still can't go far from home in case I get tired, but at least I am riding!!
Well first off thank you all for the views. I am 54 going on 55 very soon. Maybe I am just scared at this time. Maybe I will wait and see. Yes , would be great not to sell but worried if I had another one while riding. Going on a blood thinner maintenance which means no blood letting. Guess I may wait and see. Thank You to all.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Don't rush it. You've got plenty of time to think it over before making any decisions about riding in the future. Just don't want you to make any rash decisions and then regret them later.

Tom

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If I were you I would hold off selling the bike. I have seen people that have had a small stroke make a full come back and live out the rest of thier life in pretty good health. My father had a major heart attack at age 55 he is now 83 and in great health due to taking better care of himself. Having a stroke is not the end of your life. You should be going through some sort of rehab. Give it a little time before you go and sell off the bike. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having health problems. Maybe if you have grandchildren put the bike in mothballs and see if you get better or put it in your will. If money is not an issue, keep it for a while and see what happens. Once it's gone it's gone. Wish you the best! JMHO

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Don't want to give advice on something so important. But what does doc say? My grandfather had a stroke, and didn't have another for 20 years, still going. Though that won't buy you any time.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I had 2 small heart attacks and a minor stroke before 55 and at 55 I had a cardiac arrest. My heart didn't beat for almost 5 minutes.I was in a coma for a week and I now have a ICD(defibrillator). I am 59 now and doing fine.I also have an 05 ultra and continue to ride a lot as I am now retired.I took a 8400 mile trip last June that lasted 4 weeks and we had a ball. I am taking another long trip this June and plan on doing so every year that I can.I am probably in better shape now than I ever was with medication,diet and excersize. I get tired sometimes but that's why God invented naps.Don't give up what you truly love.Give it some time and things will probably work out. Good luck.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Get a sidecar for that Ultra and keep riding, if balance and strength is an issue.

IMHO, "there's life after a stroke." People heal faster and recover better when they have a mission in life. Set your mission on riding agian, if you really want to ride agian. I personally wouldn't have any problem sharing the road with you here in Wisconsin, even knowing you had a stroke.

As long as you stay on your medicine, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you're going to sell the bike, keep the chrome on it. Its an added selling feature but don't plan it increasing the value much. Normally you might recoupe 20%-30% of the cost of add-ons. Good luck and take care of yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
never give up

I would really hate to see you sell the bike, There is no greater stress reliever than a Harley, While I don't know the specifics about yor case, I hate to see anyone give up something they love for fear of what "might" happen. Live your life to the fullest and dont look back, No regrets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you gotta sell...you can also list it on craigslist for free. But, I wouldn'y rush it. My father had a tripple bipass five years ago after a pretty nasty heart attack, and still rides and flies his helicopter as much as possible.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all

thank you all ! I will take my time to make the decision. After conscidering all the potential issues ...

I guess I am plain scared at this time. I can not imagine being out with the Ol on back and having something go wrong. Not like she could ride it down. I realise we all have "our time in the good book" but I am more worried if we were out and it were to happen. If it were my self so be it but if were to hurt OL then i dont know granted i could be gone as well but.. whats on the other side. Can we close this thread on a positive note that i will try to hang in there? and thakns to my fellow bikers here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts