V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried Sylvania Silverstars in their headlight. What's your feeling, are they worth it?

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Yes, have had them for about 6 months now...really like them. They're not suppose to have a long life so I always run them on hi-beam during the day to "save" the lo-beam for night riding which I do a lot of. I'm now running the silver coated amber turn signal bulbs with clear lenses...they look pretty trick and I'm very happy with them too!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GS, I'm getting to the age that I'll take any help I can get for night riding. I think I'll try them out. {salute(

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
If you're looking for a much better upgrade try the 05 or later headlight assembly, the reflector and lense is much approved over the previous models. The new headlight assembly in concert with a good bulb is world class! I work 2nd shift so drive at night a lot, and the H-D light is more effective than my GM and Mazda vehicles are with dual headlights!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an o6 wide glide and the headlight isn't great. I was thinking of getting some sort of upgraded bulb too. There is an article in the January edition of Consumer Reports on "replacement bulbs" and they concluded after their tests that..."while they do yeild whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don't offer a consitent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse."

They have a graph of illumiation distance, and the bulbs are about the same as OE. They tested Silverstar and it is about the same as the OE too, however I don't know how Harley bulbs compare. I'm a little concerned about the reliablity of the filaments in those bulbs that burn so white hot. I could just imagine the lights abruptly going out on a dark road.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
try a European Spec Sylvania/Osram Silverstar... considerably better than the North american spec bulb. Other than that one, the Euro-Spec Philips Vison+ bulbs are excellent and the rest are pretty much garbage.

I got my Euro SilverStar from California Sport Touring www.casporttouring.com

"50% more light on the road and the winner of the Auto Express 2003 Autobulb Test!

Produced by one of the world's leading automotive lighting manufacturers, Osram Silverstar meets and exceeds the quality and performance you'd expect. Awarded the Auto Express 'Best Buy' award, it really is one of the best bulbs you can install in your vehicle. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Giving up to 50% More Light on the road
- Objects and situations can be seen clearly at a distance of 75 metres
- Service life comparable to that of standard H4 and H7 lamps.

Up to 50% more light on the road! And don't just take our word for it. Here's what Auto Express, the UK's leading car publication, said about the bulbs:

"The flagship bulb in Osram's range, the Silverstar's 75m figure was only a fraction better than that of arch-rival Philips (right), but it performed significantly better at 50m. Add a price advantage, and the Osram's plus 50 per cent competitor is our Best Buy." - 5 star award.

H4 12V 60/55W

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a Silverstar bulb today. It is packaged with Osram/Sylvania on the label. It is part #H4ST and says it is made for motorcycle use on it. The parts place I use had a buy 1 get 1 free sale on them with a $5.00 rebate. I got two for $14.00 after the rebate, so I figured it can't hurt to try 'um out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DrHS, Checked out the Cal. Sport Touring site, thanks for the info. Yeah, I go to Gengras for some of my maintenance items etc. Bought my bike at TSI Harley up in Ellington Connecticut though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
you're welcome... they're good people to deal with.

just wondering about Gengras... my brother's friend, Rob is the service manager at there. I (we) grew up in New Haven/North Haven area.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next time I'm up there I'll tell him some guy named "HeathenScum" from Cali. said to say "hello"... Betcha $5.00 they will look at me weird. :huh:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Prky Pg said:
Next time I'm up there I'll tell him some guy named "HeathenScum" from Cali. said to say "hello"... Betcha $5.00 they will look at me weird. :huh:

lol, you'd be a lot safer with Tom's brother Joe that makes the LED taillights. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
try a European Spec Sylvania/Osram Silverstar... considerably better than the North american spec bulb. Other than that one, the Euro-Spec Philips Vison+ bulbs are excellent and the rest are pretty much garbage.

I got my Euro SilverStar from California Sport Touring www.casporttouring.com

"50% more light on the road and the winner of the Auto Express 2003 Autobulb Test!

Produced by one of the world's leading automotive lighting manufacturers, Osram Silverstar meets and exceeds the quality and performance you'd expect. Awarded the Auto Express 'Best Buy' award, it really is one of the best bulbs you can install in your vehicle. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Giving up to 50% More Light on the road
- Objects and situations can be seen clearly at a distance of 75 metres
- Service life comparable to that of standard H4 and H7 lamps.

Up to 50% more light on the road! And don't just take our word for it. Here's what Auto Express, the UK's leading car publication, said about the bulbs:

"The flagship bulb in Osram's range, the Silverstar's 75m figure was only a fraction better than that of arch-rival Philips (right), but it performed significantly better at 50m. Add a price advantage, and the Osram's plus 50 per cent competitor is our Best Buy." - 5 star award.

H4 12V 60/55W

Hey Joe
What is the euro bulbs part #? Thanx

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Guys,

I found these babys at Pep Boys here in Plano Texas. H4ST Silverstars for around $14 bucks. 12 volts. 60/55 watts. Say's on the package they're imported by OSRAM/SYLVANNIA from Ontario and made in Germany. On the side of the blister pack it say's FOR MOTORCYCLE USE ONLY. I think the part number according to the UPC is 32297.

Doc, I think these are the good ones you've been talking about?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
look at the metal ring of the bulb... if there is anything that reads "DOT" or "SAE", those are not them. I would guess that if found at an auto parts chain, they would be the North American bulbs... the European spec bulbs are a little brighter and do not have the silly blue tint on the glass.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
You're right Doc, mine has the blue tint and says DOT on the ring.... oh well, I thought I was on to something... those basturds!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
107 Posts
HD Xenon gas

I bought the HD Xenon gas bulb. About $20 It is definitely "whiter" light, and I like it. This type of light seems to light up reflective signs much better at night; you can even see it refelcting during the day if you watch the road signs as you approach.

I have found in the past that alot of bulbs for the auto market don't seem to hold up very well in bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts