V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a dealer tell me today that the silver on the '03 100 yr models is going to be very difficult to touch up if chipped. He said the paint was made with aluminum particles in suspension and applied over black as a very thin coat. Any chips would show as black from the undercoat. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks Fire

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
When I get my bike, I know that it will get a chip in the paint, when that happens, you will see a man cry like a baby:eek: I just hope that bugs don't chip paint;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
There have been discussions on other boards that the silver paint scratches easily. Probably because it is 1/5th as thick as other colors!

This is an excerpt from the latest Enthusiast Shop Talk publication from Harley-Davidson:

The Story Behind Sterling Silver
It took more than three years to
develop the new Sterling Silver paint
for the 100th Anniversary two-tone
models - and there is no other paint
like it. While some manufacturers have
used a powdered form of this paint
on wheels, Harley-Davidson alone
has achieved success using "vacuumized"
aluminum paint in liquid
form on sheet metal and fiberglass.
To get the desired depth of color and
optical quality, this special silver paint
is applied just 0.2-mil thick. (H-D
production paint is normally between
1.1 and 1.2-mil thick, more than five
times thicker.) Paint this thin required
significant reprogramming and
retooling. The silver is actually sprayed
over a base coat of gloss black paint.
The Motor Company's production black
paint is not a gloss but a flat-black paint
with a gloss topcoat. This layer adds to
the silver's depth to give the final silver
a unique reflective sheen, much like a
mirror, to produce a liquid-alloy look
that is simply amazing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fire said:
I had a dealer tell me today that the silver on the '03 100 yr models is going to be very difficult to touch up if chipped. He said the paint was made with aluminum particles in suspension and applied over black as a very thin coat. Any chips would show as black from the undercoat. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks Fire
The chips indeed show as black... I have an '03 Silver/Black Fatboy that has a small chip in the fender. Looks like a black spot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've ordered a silver & black, and I'm starting to doubt my choice.

What happens if you've a damaged panel in 5 or 10 yrs time (I'm wanting to buy the bike as a keeper). Would they provide a 100th anniv silver & black replacement panel on exchange (for a price!!)? Or am I buying something that's difficult to repair, and impossible to replace?

Any advice / thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I've been saving for this baby for years, and want to make the best decision for the future!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi Tom, I'm a big fan of "to each there oun" but you can save a thousand bucks buy not getting the two-tone. I must say, If you have to have the two-tone, then get it, if it does not mean that big of a deel, then go with a differant color. The Gunmetal is nice:D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well Tom I for one wish you had an answer too. I also have a Silver/Black on order in the FLHTCI version.

I can tell you this much from my experience anyway.This is just what happened to me. I'm not saying it's the case for everybody.

I own a 1979 Electra Glide. In the early 1990's I decided to do a frame up restoration. Spent a chunk of change on paint,chrome, and motor goodies to try to keep it original. Some of my problems were HD quit making the paint but I got it mixed to match. The original decals were no longer available unless laying on some dealers shelf. Never did get them all. In a little over ten years they start to abandon some stuff no doubt. You have to look harder for sure. Anymore it makes me sick when I go for parts and they now have to be ordered as I'm told "Oh that's too old we don't stock it anymore or it's no longer available"

I too worry about that funky stripe getting nicked up in the future and not being able to replace it.
However, with todays tech wizards maybe someone will be making them on there own. I guess I'll still take the chance and see what happens. Can always custom paint it for a change if I have to.

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a '03 two tone ultra, I picked it up on 9-04-02 and I can say, it's the sweetest ride I've ever had. I didn't buy it specifically for the two tone, I bought it because it was the only ultra I could get without waiting until next year. I don't think about the paint anymore than I would if it was black or blue or whatever. All the crap about the paint peeling was just that, bullshit....

Some people buy a Harley to just look at and try and impress their friends....then some buy them to ride.....I bought mine to ride.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 2tone FXSTDI that was keyed the second weekend I got it 3 inches of zig zag thru the silver, black and stripe of the right side rear fender, the scratch thru the silver was deeper than 2 mil and I can see white, the shallow parts easily buffed, the deeper parts did not, HD shop told me this cannot be "Repaired" and would need to be replaced, the scratch remains as I cannot file another insurance claim for fear of being dropped by my carrier, It's a daily reminder of the assh*les out there and one of the bikes scars, hey I have them all over my body.
Ric-

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
chingon, I just don't get it, you got a new bike, it got keyed and you can't even file a claim for fear of being droped?:rolleyes: What is the point of having it covered then? It's your bike, not mine:confused:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I filed an insurance claim this year that was "my fault" my rates tripled, Insurance is legalized extortion, because of two not at fault accidents on my truck I am high risk and am at serious risk of being dropped if I file another claim, go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts