V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently went out for a cold weather ride and stopped to get gas on the way out of town. I was bundled up pretty well and had my super thick gloves on.

While on the way out of town I felt something land on my lap...I thought I bird flew into me. While glancing down to see what hit me I immediately noticed gas splashing out of a non-capped gas filler.

I obviously had not been able to feel the gas cap improperly seating at the gas station with the gloves on. I assume it was cross-threaded and worked its way off while in motion.

By a stroke of magic and good fortune the gas cap landed in my lap and I instinctively grabbed it and got it back on without incident.

This could have been much worse and I am thankful it did not cause an accident or at the very least a lost gas cap with a full tank of gas!

Lesson learned: seat your gas cap with ungloved hands to make sure it is threaded snugly in the tank!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
glad it turned out the ay it did. your cold ride could have become much warmer!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did that once, you'd be surprised how much those little HD stick on cap covers will cover up. It was warm outside too. Oh, it was 91 octane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts