V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started going this am and not 100 yards after pulling onto the main drag, only me and I noticed a car stopped on a sideroad waiting to pull out. I'm going slow - 30mph (really) and right before I'm dead even with this car, she starts to pull out:whistle: . I make it a practice of letting off the throttle whenever I approach a car on a side street just because of this. She finally gets partway into the road and apparantly wakes up (stops). Just a note to be careful out there.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
I hate it when that happens. Great practices by keeping alert. I hate sucking the seat up my ass that early in the morning.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bikernut said:
if you where on the gas she would have heard you and never pulled out

:harhar: But then so would have the cop who normally parks across the street in the church parking lot and gives out speeding tickets:woohoo:

;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:hmmm: Coudda been my fault. This morning I noticed this sign at the side street that she was pulling out from.

·
banal
486 Posts
Another gleeming example of who we're sharing the street with:

Two months ago, one late afternoon in Birmingham, a passerby noticed a car down in a ravine in a large concrete drainage ditch. They reported it and an old lady was discovered in the car. She had been there all day and was just about to fall asleep. They asked her, how in the world did you end up down there? She said she was coming up to the intersection and suddenly noticed a stop sign so she jammed her foot down, but forgot it was on the accelerator instead of the brake, so the car shot down over the bank and into the ditch. Thank God no one else was coming.

·
banal
486 Posts
Another gleeming example of who we're sharing the streets with:

Two months ago, one late afternoon in Birmingham, a passerby noticed a car down in a ravine in a large concrete drainage ditch. They reported it and an old lady was discovered in the car. She had been there all day and was just about to fall asleep. They asked her, how in the world did you end up down there? She said she was coming up to the intersection and suddenly noticed a stop sign so she jammed her foot down, but forgot it was on the accelerator instead of the brake, so the car shot down over the bank and into the ditch. Thank God no one else was coming.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds very similar to what happened to me on the way home the day before yesterday.

In my case it was someone in a custom pickup truck. Sharp truck, but maybe the problem was the almost black window tint on the side windows. I couldn't even see who was driving.

I had a "feeling" and began applying the brakes before the truck pulled partially out in front of me. Then whoever was driving finally noticed me and stopped.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
lowmileage said:
:hmmm: Coudda been my fault. This morning I noticed this sign at the side street that she was pulling out from.

At least they won't complain about the lod pipes

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Another accident one of my freinds last week got into a accident was driving a semi w/trailer hauling two skid steers. a 17yo girl saw him and though she could pull out in time. He had no chance in stopping. hit her drivers door and totaled the car. (had to replace the bumber on the uck.) lucky for her she lived but when the cops showed up she admitted to seeing the truck but thought she had the distance.
She only had her license for a couple of weeks and was on the phone. :nono:

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
lowmileage said:

gotta watch out for them blind drivers.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
My two closest calls since resuming riding in 2003, one riding and one walking, both involved old ladies. In the first, an old lady in a big sedan pulled directly into my path from her right-lane position without ever looking left or signaling. I had to bleed speed very fast, to the point of fishtailing the back wheel a bit. In the other, I was preparing to cross the street on foot and an old lady with a passenger pulled up to the traffic light, looked left (I was to her right) then turned right just as I was entering the crosswalk. I jumped back and gave her some choice words and gestures. After I crossed the street, I noticed she pulled over and let the passenger drive. Maybe I made an impression. Ride, drive (and walk) safe out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts