V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a nice side mount for my plate. Does anyone have one on their bike? If so can you post a picture or website? I would also like to get rid of the whole brake light in the back and use one that is mounted on the side plate. Any one got some good ideas?
Thanks alot.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
if i remember right pro1 has a few of them both radiused, and flat style. that is if ya wanna go that route with out spending a crap load of cash. if $$ isn't a real issue check out paul yaffe's site ( www.paulyaffeoriginals.com ). as for the stock tail light what ever you do don't totaly remove it.....shave off the plate mount (it's plastic), and replace it with something like this http://www.heavycycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_3&products_id=28 they are a VTF sponsor. that will also get rid of your outboard turn signals. IMHO there is nothing worse looking than a bobtail fender that you can see up like a rain gutter that's been turned upside down. this is actually the plan i have for mine. i have put alot of time thinking about how i want it to look and i personally believe that this would look the cleanest. i have seen a few softtails with thte whole taillight assembly removed and i don't like the look of it. to me it looks unfinished. besides if by some stroke of bad luck you get hung out in the rain you'll be slinging a water rooster tail about 10 feet high. BTW swtte lookin bike...you might wanna check out my gallery (see the BLACK HAIRED MISTRESS link below).
josh

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I agree with apache36. Don't remove the rear tail light. Will look like poop. All that open space etc that the tail light covers up will be visible and won't look very good.

Also the side mounted licence plate will look pretty cool. But I wouldn't use one with the brake light though (see above). Also because the rear tire blocks the light from anyone behind and to your right. Not a good thing when riding at night etc. one other thing to consider is your local laws. Some states/cities don't allow virtically mounted license plates (like Philidelphia, PA).

I like the idea of the combined tail light and turn signals. I was actually thinking about doing a similar thing with my '06. But instead of an integrated tail light/turn signal, I would mount my own set of turn signals on either side of the tail light. Like some mini-turn signals (inch long/wide) for sport bikes or something. There is enough room/plastic to mount them with the 200mm tire/fender etc. Don't know if there is room to wire it though. Haven't had a chance to look.

Would be SWEEEEET, :banana:, if someone came out with a kit to do exactly what I'm thinking... Take up all that extra blank space on either side of the brake light. :woohoo:

--Rob

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apache,
I think what you said about not removing the tailight is a good thing. I think I will just shave off all that plastic crap below the light. That tailight website you sent looks good too. It will be nice to get rid of the blinkers on the side. Give the bike a sleeker look. I still have to find out the laws in california pertaining to side mount plates (vertical, horizontal, illuminated etc) Thanks for the compliments too...........

petrock,
I agree with you about not using a side brake light. I got enough to worry about with people not seeing my rear brake light..............
Thanks alot.

i have seen a few plate mounts i like just got to pick one now!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I was wanting one for my FXST until I removed the stock setup to see how much better it would look. Man was that ugly. So I went with a Kuryakn low profile LED. It looks good. Now I need to clean/ dress up the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Brake Light Turn Signal Heavy Duty Cycles???

Is it legal to get rid of your rear turn signals and have them intergrated in to your brake light as in the Heavy Duty product posted??? thx

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
SoCal harley said:
Here is the mount I am bidding on right now.
http://images.andale.com/f2/103/122/11088874/1053710752943_33_0053_2.jpg
Hopefully I will win it...................
If someone on this board doesn't see this post, click on the link and out bid you first... I'd edit your post, remove the link and replace it with a link to one of the images (like I did above).

Nice place mount. I'd have it powdercoated gloss black to match the bike/frame so it looks like a part of the bike, not some piece you just slapped on. When you have it all setup, post some pics... Good luck...

--Rob

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I have a side-mounted license plate... it looks good. I hope to actually do the opposite as everyone else and convert my turn signals to running/brake lights, then I'm going to take a metal plate and have it painted dull-black. I'm going to mount this where the tail light is to fill up the void so there isn't just a hole there. I'll also seal off the electricals so no moisture can get in to the brake light housing and short things out.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I have an 05' FXST and I am dealing with the same situation. I bought the Kuryakyn vertical mount plate from JP cycles. part # 340-246 but not really sure if I like it. Keep lining it up and taking it off. As for the rear fender, what do you all think it would look like with the brake light gone and the bike lowered about 1in. maybe 2. I am really worried about the gap and not sure if I want to buy a new rear fender yet.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
roloplex said:
As for the rear fender, what do you all think it would look like with the brake light gone and the bike lowered about 1in. maybe 2.
Ok, I esplain... no too long... I sum up...... It would look like poop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts