V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this with their bike? I was thinking about doing this with mine. Is it legal? I mean does it matter where you put your license plate at? And if anyone has this done, I would like to see pictures, if you have any.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, B B,
Check with your state DMV.
All I've ever heard is that the tag has to be a certain height (may vary by state) off the ground.
I've never heard that the tag has to be centered on the fender, or whatever. :p
Ride safe & take care,
bear

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just emailed the dmv people, so we'll see what they say

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
BikerBabe; keep in mind that if you do change to a side-mounted license, it MAY get in the way of saddlebags, should you decide to install some later...

Just my $.02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its definately do-able. Several people, including myself have done it. I used a side mount that was made for a softail, but just made a bracket that comes off the lower shock bolt and mounted it to that. The only problem I had was at first I didn't have it adjusted correctly and when my suspension bottomed out my turn signal hit it and scratched it! I'm running 11" progressives, so that had alot to do with it as well. If your not into slight mods or custom fitting, they do have a bracket out there designed for an XL.

good luck with it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts