V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the tranny side door off my 93 Evo. The book says to pry it out, but it appears that it may be binding on the main shaft. Can this cover be pulled off without a puller?

If anyone has any tricks to getting it off, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
did you pull everything off the primary side?if you didn't it won't come apart. the inner primary bearing race that is on the mainshaft has to be removed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The door can be removed without removing anything else. What is binding is the main and countershafts on the door bearings inner race, they are pressed on. There is a tool to do this, as well as reinstall without doing anything else. I don't like the prying, however without the tool, I guess you will have to. After taking off both of the main and countershaft nuts, the idea is to pull the door while pushing the shafts so to speak. If you were to have a plate attached to where the side cover was, and then drilled holes where you could tach weld a nut over each shaft you could run bolts down on them and it would basically pull/push the door off the shafts leaving everything in tact. Well thats what the tool does. You can make one easily. It probably will come off with a little heat and prying, just watch out for the gasket surfaces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought that I could pull it off without removing the primary side. I'll take another look at it this weekend and see if I can try the push/pull method. I'm not particularily worried about damage to the side door itself as it is being replaced with another plate.

If all else fails, I'll just pull the primary side and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the side door off with a gear puller, alternating it between the main shaft and counter shaft. Was a PITA, but it's done. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts