V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of SHOWA shocks on Ebay, (my weakness) that have a nitrogen canister on each one. When I received them I decided to do my due diligence after the fact. To my surprise I find very little about SHOWA shocks. Can anyone give me a link to a site that sells SHOWA or any info would be appreciated. I was told they came off a 2004 1200R. I dont find this shock anywhere.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I also did some research on them. They have a plant in Japan and one in Ohio (i believe). They are the main OEM supplier to Honda and some other metric bike manufacturers. The also make the OEM Harley shocks and front ends.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been to a lot of websites looking to learn about Showa and did not see that. I see a lot of metrics use them. I also see they make for Harley aftermarket. Lots of parts and service available for them but I see no retailing of the fully adjustable shocks. I was hoping to see something similar and get a price idea.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I bought a pair of SHOWA shocks on Ebay, (my weakness) that have a nitrogen canister on each one. When I received them I decided to do my due diligence after the fact. To my surprise I find very little about SHOWA shocks. Can anyone give me a link to a site that sells SHOWA or any info would be appreciated. I was told they came off a 2004 1200R. I dont find this shock anywhere.
As far as I know all the narrow glide front ends use Showa. My 1980 FX still has the OEM Showa shocks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
geoffreyt said:
To the best of my knowledge, Showa is a supplier to OEM's only.....Bill

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
miles to go said:
As far as I know all the narrow glide front ends use Showa. My 1980 FX still has the OEM Showa shocks.

My 1982 FXS has Showa (HD) rear shocks from the factory. The former front end was a Showa narrowglide as Miles says. I changed to a Chinese Wideglide of undertain parentage that looks nice. :)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I know a guy who used to work boat manufactor doing testing and design. I thhink there some kind of shock on engine, to raise and lower it. either way they had tons of problems with them. But this is not apples to apples. Theres a few million of them out there on bikes. Lots of guys like progressive. I do not have any experience with them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
I know a guy who used to work boat manufactor doing testing and design. I thhink there some kind of shock on engine, to raise and lower it. either way they had tons of problems with them. But this is not apples to apples. Theres a few million of them out there on bikes. Lots of guys like progressive. I do not have any experience with them.
That's a hydraulic ram. Kinda looks like a shock but quite different in function....Bill

·
Banned
169 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Those shocks came standard on my 00 1200 Sportster Sport. I thought they were excellent shocks and the adjustments for compression and rebound damping allowed me to dial them in perfectly for my style of riding.

I just put 3000 miles, mostly hwy on my new Bob and I was sure I would be able to fault it's stock Showas...I can't! It was carrying 260 lbs with me and the gear. With just one click up on spring pre-load they were perfect and the handling was superb. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts