V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kickstarting

You must be commited to each and every kick. Kick all the way thru and don't let up on the kickstarter as the engine catches. You will get the hang of it soon enough. Breaking down and going electronic on my 48FL, that might help also. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i'v got an electric start and the kickback happens when its cold. i'v broken 2 primary belts and the guys at rivera engineering (they are 5 minutes from my house!) said that it might be a timing thing. but then some guy told me to pump the throttle 3 times and then no gas and start it. so i tried it and for 2 days now it starts right off. still going to check the timing . you guys think that an inch and one half belt is big enough to handle it? i'm punched out to 93 ci. thanks john

·
Registered
177 Posts
The plot thickens... The belt should be fine, are you sure the tension is correct. Secondary ignition is hard on all the drive componets. Static timing is fine but confirming with a light does'nt hurt. A plastic see thru crank plug comes in handy it helps to highlight your flywheel timing mark since it can be hard to see thru the plug. I also ment electronic ignition, I had a 74FXE that ate flyweights or a regular basis. good luck. Roger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its getting to be all voo doo. i think pumping it 3 times and spitting over my sholder is in order. but so far the starting procedure is working. but when the bike is cold, and even sometimes when its been running, when i start off if i put some torque into it, i hear a whir or a sort of grind when i start almost as if the belt is slipping but no drop in power. got me freaked, don't want to bust another belt, especally if i'm on the freeway because that could be fatal. any wizards out there?

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
This may have no relevance to a Harley at all but I've had two Triumphs with kick starters and they will definately break an ankle if you're not careful. The procedure I was taught, along with spitting over my shoulder, was to hold the clutch in and kick it over a couple of times. Like I said probably don't mean squat for a Harley but you might give it a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the replys. don't know what the sound is, might be the clutch slipping since its all tied into the primary. great bike though, i love my shovel, and i hate to say it, but it sounds sweeter than an evo or twin cam. anyone else out there ride one and any tips or such? the one tip about pumping 3 times and also to turn off the pettycock for the gas when stopped has eliminated my kickback problem. starts everytime like a charm. gonna get it timed and tuned and then hope for the best on the belt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello Johnhawk, I'm running a 1979 Lowrider, love that shovel! and you are so right they do have a different sound that the newer bikes. I'm glad you resolved your little kickback problem, I am only the assistant mechanic on mine, the OM is the Chief mechanic, he tells me what to do and how to do it, I only follow his instructions, but I'm learning!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah hd, its like riding a beast! these new ones i see are pretty to look at , well, so is mine!, but they seem too civilized, too smooth. and they all look at the shovels don't they? big ol tanks and oversized rockers, oh yeah! if that is a pic of yours, it looks real sweet too!

·
Registered
684 Posts
jonnhawk, I had a '76 FXE. It took two squirts of the throttle and it fired off every time. If I went 3, it would flood. I've got a picture of mine in the gallery. I wish I still had her! If you have some pics, let us see them.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Starting Shovels

Heres what ive been doing the last 14 years to start my shovels.
1. Turn fuel on
2. kick over twice (no throttle)
3. One quick squirt
4. Slowly kick bike over until front cyclinder is near TDC
5. Give it a good strong kick all the way to the bottom (I rest my left leg on the seat or stand on the passenger peg to get max power)
6. Go back to the bar, finish your drink and leave, preferably with the young blonde from the bar.:D

Id be checking my timing still. Get a clear plug as if you try it without one you'll end up like I did the first time - very oily. Do timing plug up tight when finished. I lost one on the way to Sturgis which ended up almost getting myself killed in B.F. Wyoming. Good luck.

Pete
Hear no Evo
See no Evo
Ride no Evo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey pete, thanks for the input. i'd like info from all shovel owners about tips ect since i'm a new harley owner and a shovel at that. i kick mine over now a few times, 3 squirts, and then use the elect. start and it seems to work. i guess it eases the pressure or something. if i use the e. start only, it seems to freeze up cold and that imense pressure is what i hear breaks the primary belt. going to have it timed and also get the belt aligned (i found it is wobbley, like an offset belt sander). my fear is to break another primary belt. also when i open up the throtle it tends to miss and i heard if your running too rich it can really **** up things. oil leaks, one rocker is leaking a little and i guess that is the spring. plus i changed the valve cover gasket on the front cly. but didn't retorque it and now i have a small leak there. retightened but the leak is still there and am wondering since i didn't retorque if the new gasket is ruined and i have to do the job over. are shovels reliable? can i trust her to go on runs or will i have to be content to bar hop around town? lots of questions ,hope i get some input. also if there are any shovel owners in the L. A. area, would like to talk and share resorce info and maybe ride. thanks all, johnhaak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transfer mark from Flywheel to pully if open belt.

I have a 1978 FXS Shovel. It has a 3" open belt primary.
I realized something that could make your life a lot easier when trying to set the timing (seeing the marks that is).
1. Remove your spark plugs and roll the engine over till you are at TDC.
2. Remove timing mark access plug.
2. Make a mark on your front pulley at exactly 12 O'clock (If you have letter punches make a "T".
3. Roll the engine to your advance mark.
4. Make another (different) mark. (if you have letter punches, make an "A")
5. Make a match-up mark on the inside of your pulley to the splines on your motor shaft. This will allow you to put the pulley back in the same place if you remove it.
6. Replace the timing plugs and spark plugs.
7. Time the bike as usual, using the marks on your pulley.

This isn't a huge revelation. It just makes the marks easier to see.
Rattletrap
www.reservoirdogsmc.com

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
This may have no relevance to a Harley at all but I've had two Triumphs with kick starters and they will definately break an ankle if you're not careful. The procedure I was taught, along with spitting over my shoulder, was to hold the clutch in and kick it over a couple of times. Like I said probably don't mean squat for a Harley but you might give it a try.
are you trying to kill the guy? If he holds the clutch in hes going to break his leg if he kicks with some intent, you see that dis engages the motor. he will be kicking over tranny gears and thats it. Sounds to me like clutch is slipping and your not getting a full kick. tighten the clutch or replace or clean discs. Happened to me on my 103, and it needs every bit of kick to get going. a little slippage and it wont go.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Panman69 speaks wisdom.

Much love for hotter cams with lots of overlap. They make starting (kick or electric) easier and make more power.

I also fit the LOWEST compression pistons I can find to my Shovels. The cam takes care of filling the cylinders at speed, detonation is reduced when running modern so-called "gasoline", and they run much smoother.

BTW, holding in the clutch is pants-on-head retarded on Triumphs or Harleys because it doesn't permit the kicker to turn over the engine thus accomplishing...nothing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts