V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the newbie post - but that is what I am.

This is my first Harley and I bought a 1979 (early) FLH-80.

The owners manual calls for 58, 75 or 105 oil in the crankcase. No one I have talked to has any idea about these oils.

Is this some kind of part number or is this the viscosity? Assuming I can't find them (and I looked) what oil should I run? :xhere:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

So are you saying these are aircraft oils?

I bought 50wt Kendall for the bike. Not much riding time left in Northeast Iowa.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your H-D manual talks about the H-D oil sold at the dealer and the numbers are old time proprietary, so you can't compare apples & apples.
H-D no longer uses these numbers.

Depending on ambient temperature is how you should select your oil type.

Shovels with stock valve train like higher viscosity oil and now H-D would probably recommend their 60 weight above 50 degrees ambient.

I use an evo cam and lifters with rocker arms that allow push rod top end oiling.
This also eliminates the outside oil lines.
With this setup I use 20W50 oil, the same as most use in Evo's and Twin Cams. Multi-viscosity oils in my opinion are better for a wide range of ambient temperatures and oil can get to where it needs to be quicker on start-ups.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shovel Oil

I have been using 20-50 oil in by '81 FXEF since new. No problems and H.D. markets it as 360 or something.
WUZFUZ

·
Registered
23 Posts
my suggestion

checkout the areoshell websight for info on aircraft oil you will get a real education not harley fiction i use the new w100 in my shovel head wich is 50 weight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where do you live? I'm in Tennessee. I use Harley 60wt all year long. We haven't been having any real cold weather so no need to go to 50wt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never use Aeroshell or other aircraft oil for
a motorcycle application, its non-detergent
and lacks a proper additive package for Harley use. You should of seen some of the motors we tore down that used Aeroshell at our shop.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
tmf22 said:
Never use Aeroshell or other aircraft oil for
a motorcycle application, its non-detergent
and lacks a proper additive package for Harley use. You should of seen some of the motors we tore down that used Aeroshell at our shop.

Dennis
straight mineral aircraft oil used for break in is the only oil that does not have the typical additives. What kind of shop do you work in? You are correct that aircraft oil does not have the proper additive package for harleys, but usually will not cause any harm in the pre twin cam engines.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No detergents low foaming agents, and poor resistance to extreme heat is not particular
to any given model year. Would these issues not be a problem in your opinion with pre TC motors? Whats your basis ? The failures we seen were in Shovels so pre TC use would NOT be ok in my opinion. But thanks for the approval on the additive comment.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
tmf22 said:
No detergents low foaming agents, and poor resistance to extreme heat is not particular
to any given model year. Would these issues not be a problem in your opinion with pre TC motors? Whats your basis ? The failures we seen were in Shovels so pre TC use would NOT be ok in my opinion. But thanks for the approval on the additive comment.

Dennis
I think you missed my point and that was that straight weight aircraft mineral oil is the only aircraft oil that does not have a full additive package like the other aircraft oils do. I took your post to mean that all of them lacked additives is all. I am not endorsing the use of them in a harley, but several bikers from this forum have used them without ill effects . If you have seen many failures in shovels what exact brand and type were they using?

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
tmf22 said:
These motors all used Aeroshell, possibly other brands of Aircraft oil would fair better ?

Dennis
Aeroshell what? This is like saying Mobil or Quaker without what viscosity or if it is dino or synthetic. Just curious to what they were actually using to cause damage. Like I said before if it was one of Aeroshells break in straight weight mineral oils then yes they would wear the engine a little faster, but their other brands have full additive packages that shouldn't hurt anything in the older motors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts