V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have later evo road king that needs crank and cases so was wondering if one of my options was swapping a shovelhead in. are shovelhead cases a match for primary and transmission to case mount? probably will just get crank and cases for the evo but?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cases have the same bolt pattern at the primary but it's a waste of a Shovel engine which there is no functional reason to want in a rubbermount bagger that didn't come with one. If someone was really in love with Shovelhead baggers and rubbermount frames a late splined shaft five speed with Denso starter is a nice upgrade. You'd need a custom exhaust mounting setup to tie your exhaust to the engine and transmission but that's easy to do. I would run a large oil cooler since baggers are the hottest environment for HD engines.
Shovel engines are worth more than Evos and it would be easy to find someone to trade engines or parts. Hop on some of the Harley Facebook groups (Facebook is a hive of idiocy compared to forums but some good deals live there) and you should be able to fine someone local. I came to Facebook HD groups late but there is some good content there. The Harley basket case for sale or trade group probably has what you need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have 2 98 flhr. both with cracked primary ring. one bad crank and one crank excess runout. someday i will try to fix the cases for spares. i have an ultima case and 4.625 evo crank ordered for one (which is a real rat bike beater bike)but i really have no love for square cylinders. probably will get an S&S shovel case and put a shovel together for the other. which is pristine. there are almost no vintage bikes around here. everything is twinkie. see a shovel or ironhead about once a year. dont even see many evo. only shovel engines i have seen on fb marketplace look like junk and overpriced and none are local. still have my merch filter cooler that is bolt on to am shovel cases.and was overkill cooling for an evo. i am salivating to get those S&S shovel cases. thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts