V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this old stinker to freshen up. I'm new to shovelheads and found this hole under a small lake of JB Weld. It appears to be stripped and not needed either, but JB weld is not going to work for me. What is it? An alternate oil line port or drain location? Should I drill it bigger and put a set screw in there? It looks like it will be under pressure, so I don't think helicoil is the answer.
eta..'80 fxe engine in '81 fxwg frame. Front rocker box.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It's been a while, but IIRC that was the original oil feed to the head.

Like I said, it's been a couple decades, so one of the experts will be along with the correct answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a while, but IIRC that was the original oil feed to the head.

Like I said, it's been a couple decades, so one of the experts will be along with the correct answer.

The hole you are referring to is a tapped hole for a bracket that is attached to carburater backing plate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole you are referring to is a tapped hole for a bracket that is attached to carburater backing plate.
Thanks for the responses. That's what I'm leaning towards using for. The fact that it goes through to the oil passage complicates the function. Leaking from that point doesn't seem to be a common issue. I'll probably drill it out and use a bigger bolt. Maybe counter bore it and use an o-ring too.

·
Registered
1981 FLT
14 Posts
It is the mounting holes for the carb support.
I use a homemade bracket on one side. The front has a broken off bolt in it! Go figure.

20201017_090249.jpg

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
211 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe the hole (marked with yellow arrow by OP) is an original oil line attachment point. I think the carb mounting bracket bolts to the boss I marked with a red arrow.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Could be correct. I said it'd been a while. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be correct. I said it'd been a while. :)

I bought this old stinker to freshen up. I'm new to shovelheads and found this hole under a small lake of JB Weld. It appears to be stripped and not needed either, but JB weld is not going to work for me. What is it? An alternate oil line port or drain location? Should I drill it bigger and put a set screw in there? It looks like it will be under pressure, so I don't think helicoil is the answer.
eta..'80 fxe engine in '81 fxwg frame. Front rocker box.

Thanks,
Chris

View attachment 267142
View attachment 267143
View attachment 267147
Just a guess: Could it be the engine has two rear rocker boxes in stead of 1 rear and 1 front
rocker box? Just my 1 cent.....

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
that is a mounting bolt hole for air cleaner backing plates,,,, so many different air filter backing plates,, it may be needed, or not... if it isnt needed, i would leave it alone..

it does not go through to the rocker shaft,, unless someone decided to fix it and broke through. to the oil passage in the rocker shaft bore,, explaining all the sealing off..
the hole marked in red,, is the mounting point for the stock air cleaner box..

an adjustable bracket is also available to use the center case bolt to hold the carb in place. S&S makes this bracket..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts