V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 flh with a 74” motor. I’ve put a cv carb on and 40” drag pipes( yes, I know and I don’t care! It’s a shovel and sounds great). By looking at the service manual I believe it’s 8:1 comp. What would be a good cam for a heavy bike like this? I have the ev27 in my evo fxr and like it. I was leaning towards an Andrews j grind

·
Super Moderator
3,084 Posts
A2 may be a good choice for you. It will make power a bit further out on the revs.I run it in a .030 in.over 80 inch shovel in a 1980 FLT.With mild porting and some decking It works at all rpm for me.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual says my bike has 8:1 compression. When I do the top end I’m thinking about going to 9:1. I’ve been leaning towards the j grind

·
Registered
45 Posts
7.5 is low compression 8 is normal. I suggest you look at the Andrews websight. The give some good insight into choosing the right cam for you. Your not going to see much change with a J grind. If any. The AB is pretty close to your EV27. I had a B grind in my ,"78 set up the same as yours. at 74CI. I still run it at 106CI . I like the way it pulls. I could get more RPM out of something else, but the loss in low end isn't worth it. To me. You could run Evo tappet blocks and the EV27 cam , it is more money but it straightens the pushrod angle up and adds slightly to reliability. It's a good mod for 80 and 81 Shovels that had some problems with tappet block oiling

·
Registered
1 Posts
Talk to Craig at Black Widow cams. He purchased Tom Sifton's cam grinding equipment. He is only available to call on certain hours but you would be talking to the person that manufacture's your cam. Sifton knew Shovels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts