V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '81 shovel with a 93ci cone (alternator) motor. It is a point ignition. I had some problems last weekend (my own fault) the timing was off - ran badly, fouled plugs. On the way home Sunday, it pretty much limped home the last few miles on one cylinder. I put in new points, condenser, plugs, reset timing, checked push rod adjustment and drained and blew out carburetor (S&S super B). Now it seems to run fine - at least around the block. But in that short time the right/cone side of the engine case got really hot - took longer to cool than the exhaust pipes. Am I just suddenly sensitive to it - is it always hot or is this something else?

Gelman

·
Banned
871 Posts
How long have you owned the bike? How long has it been doing this? Is it still running good after a ride around the block? Did you remove the cam cover at all right before you noticed this?

If it's not making strange noises in the cam chest, and the oil looks good, then I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, the exhaust is hollow and will cool much more quickly than the rest of the engine. The cam cover is attached to the block, with is attached to the jugs, which are attached to the heads. All that heat from the top end is going to disperse to the bottom end through conduction, so it's going to stay hot for quite a while.

Besides, chrome or polished parts do not lose heat very quickly. They actually help to retain it. That's why it's a bad idea to chrome an entire engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have owned it for a few years - just never noticed (maybe) the the case would get so hot so quickly and stay that hot. I did not remove the cone - but I did just remove and replace the point cover.

I was fearing that maybe I was losing the bearings on that side of the crank - If I remember correctly thay are roller/cage type bearings. Thought if they were going it may be the reason the ignition timing was so off on the ride home Sunday. No big noises like bearings going - just the heat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you replaced the point case, did you replace the flat round gasket that goes underneath the point cover?

If you replaced it, then maybe remove the cover again and check to see if any wires are binding or heating up.

Just a thought.-2$en#e-

IKE

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Really, with a bumped up motor such as you have, it would be a very wise idea to toss the points, weights, condenser and so forth and get yourself a nice electronic ignition.

They've made great strides in those things in the past few years. Even the new HD's all have single fire electronic ignitions.

There are a dozen or so elec. ign's that you could get. Crane, Rev Tech, Sypke, Compufire, etc. Any one of them will cure the poor timing issue for your bike. I changed about 6 years ago to a Spyke with matching coil and have never been sorry. The timing is always good and the bike runs better and best of all, cooler.

I doubt that a little extra heat would damage your motor, assuming that it doesn't happen often. An oil cooler would help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the cost of a few gaskets it may be wise to investigate, check clearances and any discoloration of parts, and new oil and filter.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
hgelman said:
I have an '81 shovel with a 93ci cone (alternator) motor. It is a point ignition. I had some problems last weekend (my own fault) the timing was off - ran badly, fouled plugs. On the way home Sunday, it pretty much limped home the last few miles on one cylinder. I put in new points, condenser, plugs, reset timing, checked push rod adjustment and drained and blew out carburetor (S&S super B). Now it seems to run fine - at least around the block. But in that short time the right/cone side of the engine case got really hot - took longer to cool than the exhaust pipes. Am I just suddenly sensitive to it - is it always hot or is this something else?

Gelman
The heat you are noticing is probably normal. Your engine will actually get hotter after you shut it down...i forget what this is called...but your exhaust pipes will begin to cool immediately.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
hgelman said:

Gelman

I have an accessory thermometer in the dipstick on my 1982 80 cu in low compression Shovelhead. It runs at 190 degrees max, even on a hot day. I also have the OEM Lockhart oil cooler.

If you are concerned about heat, I suggest picking up one of the dipstick thermometers and check out the actual oil temperature in the tank. I've seen other bikes that run them go as high as 275 degrees!

One thing is sure, with a 93 cu in engine, likely with higher compression, you will certainly be running hotter than a stock bike. More fuel running though a bigger engine makes for more heat.

Also, I suggest that you lose the points and put in a good single fire electronic ignition. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would get rid of the points and weights and get a single fire ignition-Crane, Spyke, Dyna. Also install an oil cooler and run a quality synthetic oil . JMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts