V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this story and was surprised at how many people supported this, so I thought I'd make a poll here.

According to a poll by the Associated Press, 67% say yes !
November 2, 2007
WASHINGTON -- People decisively favor letting their public schools provide birth control to students, a poll showed.

Sixty-seven percent support giving contraceptives to students.

''Kids are kids,'' said Danielle Kessenger, 39, a mother from Jacksonville, Fla. ''I was a teenager once and parents don't know everything, though we think we do.''

Yet most who support schools distributing contraceptives prefer they go to children whose parents have consented. AP

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
claydbal said:
it takes a village.
When I was a kid the whole village was involved. If I screwed up and the neighbors seen it they would threaten to beat my a$$.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I know a lot of people will be upset about the morality thing but anything that keeps them from breeding is fine with me. ** YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY ** Like medicaid, I feel it a ripoff that the customer can ask for the brand name instead of generic but I'm all for free birth control pills.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I voted "yes". But on the other hand, who should get the birth control? Male, female or both?

Put something in the water besides flouride!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Yeah...the question here is gonna be centered on age...I lean towards offering free pills just to keep kids from having kids...but...I have an issue with making the kids able to take responsibility for their actions without parental guidance...or is that what we're attempting to teach them...?

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
-2$en#e- No, schools should not provide birth control for students (kids of any age). And, no it doesn't take a village, it takes two responsible parents. Schools should teach reading, writing, and math. They have enough trouble with those things.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
With all of the interactions between medications, both prescription and over the counter, I don't think that a school system should be able to "prescribe" them without parental consent.

With every school in this part of NC begging for local support because they can't afford to buy all the basics that a teacher needs in his/her classroom, I think that the money could be better spent.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Well in a perfect world I would say no but we dont live in a perfect world so I voted yes. We live in a time when in most cases both parents work. Lots of kids are left alone or go to after school care. In fact I think, unfortunetly schools are nothing more then a baby sitting service for many families. Parental control would be nice if Parents were actually Parents. Yeah kids should show restraint when it comes to having sex, but if there isnt any kind of roll model in their life it maybe a tough thing to learn. They have plenty of exposure to the lures of sex with all that is around us in todays world. Kids are faced with more temptation then ever. We are an instantanious society and we want everything now, wether it is a package shipped overnite to cable internet access, cell phones, microwave dinners, now , now , now no one has time to wait anymore. We got to have it all and we got to have it now.
So why would sex be any different. Hey this sex thing sounds cool I want to try it now. In a perfect world again I would say no in our world today I would say yes. It is easier to decide to stop taking a pill because you have decided to have a child then it is to decide what to do with a child you didnt want.
Oh and what about the child that is born into the family that didnt want them.......................................... In the end it is up to you and your child.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Lefty said:
... it takes two responsible parents. ...

Lefty
I totally agree with ya on this, unfortunately a lot of these kids don't have responsible parents. The parents could give a care less what their kids are doing. It's pretty sad.

·
Registered
901 Posts
jockeyshift said:
I totally agree with ya on this, unfortunately a lot of these kids don't have responsible parents. The parents could give a care less what their kids are doing. It's pretty sad.
+1

Too many people in the "village" don't have the principles or will to raise their own children with morals, respect for self and others, etc.

Those of us who do are sadly in the minority and we and our children are considered slightly nuts (by the lazy breeders) for going to the trouble of emphasizing accountability, responsibility, desire for education, achievement, community, etc.

Of course their kids will be working for my kids someday (or someone like them) and probably complaining about how they deserve "more" (just like their parents do).

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
BluegrassBoy said:
+1

Of course their kids will be working for my kids someday (or someone like them) and probably complaining about how they deserve "more" (just like their parents do).
+ 2

(tongue in cheek, or maybe not) Your kids will be voting for their kids one day.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Just because you raise the kid right doesn't mean that hormones won't get the best of them. We are predisposed to furthering the race, and it doesn't need furthering at young ages anymore. A good kid makes a mistake and if she decides to be responsable and not have an abortion(which is the right thing to do), she will pay for it all of her life. Having a child when young is a big reason for poverty in this country. Many young mothers never are able to continue thier education, and end up in deep depression.

It is better to have birth control available and never use it than to have a situation come up and it is not available. Date rape is common, many times the girl wants it too, and is not forceful enough to say "NO!".

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hey what do you call the pull out method of birth control

PARENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
ditto

DJW said:
Define the word "Kid."
Under 16 it's my business

Over 16 it's also my business BUT if I happen to not be taking care of business the schools should help. It is the lesser of 2 evils, a unwanted pregnancy or abortion is WAY worse that handing out BC.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
This started about when a middle school in Portland, Maine voted to allow the nurse to give kids birth control.....

What this does is make it MUCH harder for the 99% of us who are good parents to teach our kids what is right and wrong.

When a school system in the State of Maine says "here kids have some birth control".... then "oh by the way don't tell your parents or the State"...because in Maine sex at this age is against the law.

So tell me what kind of message the school system is sending to these kids? It basically says, you're going to break the law anyway so to help you do that here is a drug to make that easier....and by the way don't tell your parents...nice!

I live one town over from Portland. My oldest daughter (15) and I had a discussion on this and she said that this would make more girls want to have sex. That this would allow them a better opportunity to do it without mom/dad knowing.

Hell, we might as well give each kid going into high school a 6-pack of beer too.

Oh well....my -2$en#e-

:xhere:

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
99% hardley

mcouture said:
What this does is make it MUCH harder for the 99% of us who are good parents to teach our kids what is right and wrong.

:xhere:
I don't think 99% of parents would qualify as good parents. I doubt you could qualify 50% if you were to actually rate parents as good or not good according to some criteria.

Just look at the number of kids in some kind of foster care program and you can instantly see the number of parents who would never make the grade.

Then find out how many kids in your own town are on some kind of juvenile program connected with the court system. And you find more parents who are not doing their job.

In all honesty I can not say I agree with the schools dispensing pills. Then again parents don't show me much in line with practical applications of dealing with the issue either. Would everyone look at this differently if the Public Health system was giving away the same pills rather than the school?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts