V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal.I want a bigger bike.I want to trade my 03 Sporty 1200c with V&H pipes,windshield,sissy bar and 5600 miles.I've narrowed it down between 2 bikes at a local dealership. 03 Deuce loaded.2700 miles.V&H pipes,FI,winshield,anniversary saddlebags,chrome hd pegs and grips.Price=my bike +10,000 plus sales tax on that 10,000(500). or.....02 Fatboy only 30 miles.basically stock except for a few chrome goodies. What do you think.I've had my bike in the want ads for a long time with no bites so it looks like I have to go with a trade in.Both bikes are mint.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Looks like you could get a brand new Deuce for the price you stated. How much are they willing to give for your Sporty? Im partical to the Fatboy. Did the Fatboy ever have an owner? For the right price of an '02, I'd say thats the better deal. What are they asking for the Fatboy?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you should really ride both. I have a Fat Boy also, have ridden both. I like the floor boards, and chunky feel. But, everyone likes something different, you have to ride them, and decide. Don't just go with a few dollars saved on one or the other, down the road, you might not be happy.:D

Either way will be a big difference from the sporty, good luck

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
I agree you should really demo them both, they are too different bikes. If you want the wide tire look the duece is almost there. It doesn't take much to put a 180 out back, the widest you can go without too much modification on the fatboy is 150.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get the Fatboy I need to give them my Sporty+9000.Advertised price on the Fatboy is 15,900.Deuce 16,900.Also the deuce has the gold key pkg. and braided cables.They are giving me close to 7000 on the trade.I know I could do better by selling the Sporty and looking for private sales but it's been in the want ads for 5 months.I just never trust dealers.The story on the Fatty is some guy bought it,got devorced and it sat in probate till the devided up the assetts.Thing is if I buy it I still have to add some pipes and I need a detatchable windshield for cold weather rides.The Deuce has all that.Do you think thats too much $$$ for the Deuce with all those extras? Thnaks for your input.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Both bikes are nice. With those kinds of prices, I'd just trade on a new bike. You really aren't talking a lot of difference in price, plus you'd get a warranty. If a new bike is totally out of the picture, then what kind of riding do you do? I'd think the Fatboy would be more suitable if you do a lot of long rides.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Again, take them for a ride, you sound hung up on the $$ extra's. I think if you take them for a ride, you will know. I have found you can talk yourself into what ever you want. On the private sale thing, there is a sales tax thing to make you feel better, with the trade, you save a little on that, taxing on only the price minus the trade....I have been there on both selling private and trading in.....I hate trading in and getting the lower price, but some times if it does not sell private you just drive yourself nuts waiting.
Also, if you are hung up on some of the extra's, tell the dealer your trading in losing some money, and lets make a deal on a shield, etc...and I will take the fatboy, if you want. Either one, I would think they are a little anxious to sell, you got to play the game, and make some deals, bring someone that could help you out, I love busting these guys on some stuff....they definatley could help you out on some extra's.....but you really need to take them for a ride,
I know this stuff can drive you crazy,,,,good luck:coffee:

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Just buy new and take your time to demo what you want. For those prices you could get new with a few less accessories but piece of mind with a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You,re right about the lack of warranty,for that kind of money a warranty would be good for piece of mind.Maybe I will just wait till spring.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
jkoj said:
You,re right about the lack of warranty,for that kind of money a warranty would be good for piece of mind.Maybe I will just wait till spring.
Just remember prices on bikes typically go up in the spring (dealers wont give you as good a deals).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts