V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a Sportster for a while now, just as something different to ride than my RK, and available at a reasonable price. I've found a used '06 883 locally, 500 miles, bone stock, can be bought for $4500-4700.

I'm 6'1", 190 lbs. Probably want a new seat, Stage 1, detachable windscreen, small luggage rack. Am I going to be happy? Talk me into it or out of it? Please!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Size

Esterhaus said:
I've been considering a Sportster for a while now, just as something different to ride than my RK, and available at a reasonable price. I've found a used '06 883 locally, 500 miles, bone stock, can be bought for $4500-4700.

I'm 6'1", 190 lbs. Probably want a new seat, Stage 1, detachable windscreen, small luggage rack. Am I going to be happy? Talk me into it or out of it? Please!
With your size, I think you would be a bit large for an XL, and would be uncomfortable. My 2 cents.
Scott

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Esterhaus said:

I would definitely add forward controls to the list. I'm 5' 11", 190 lbs and my 883 fits me just fine. I just added forward controls myself (which means anyone can do it) and the riding position is much more relaxed. I have a 6' 3" buddy with an 06 softtail classic who rides my bike from time to time and it seems comfortable for him.

I also highly recommend the HD Sundowner seat for the Sportster. But that's just me.

I found I wanted to switch out the existing handlebars for Sportster "Sport" handlebars which come up and back a couple inches more. On my 07 they fit just fine. They made the difference between being able to sit back a bit vs. always having to lean forward just a touch with the stock handlebars. On an 06 you might have to get a couple of new cables if you wanted to do that.

If you want to put pullback risers on it you will need new cables and have interesting issues with the speedometer as it is mounted to the handlebar clamp. On my 07 the speedometer cable was not long enough for 4" pullback risers. Which is why I ended up going with new handlebars instead.

The stock grips on the Sportster are the small diameter ones. Since I went to knew handlebars I switched to normal diameter ones at the same time. Just something to keep in mind.

This is my first bike so I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to. But IMHO the Sportster is great for short trips of up to a couple of hours at a time. For longer trips you may want to go back to your RK. But I love the out in the open air feeling of the Sportster (for lack of the words to describe it) as opposed to riding "in" the bike of my buddy's softtail.

The 883 can haul you around just fine. But the shocks only have three settings on them. Stock they start out on the middle setting. I found that even alone I wanted them on the highest setting. And if you are going to haul adult passengers regularly you will probably want to upgrade the shocks too.

The peanut tank on an 883 is only 3.3 gallons. I like the look. But that means you need a gas station at least every 140 miles. I get about 48-50 mph with mine

HD makes a detachable sissy bar/luggage rack mount. It works quite well. But the bolts they gave me with mine were over an inch two long and ended up gouging up the rear tire. So not only the bolts but the rear tire had to be replaced.

I believe the 06 Sportster is the last year it had a carburetor. My 07 is electronic fuel injection.

I wonder if the two year warranty transfers? If so it sounds like a good bike to me.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
You are too big for an 883. That is a small bike for a woman or vertically challenged male. I'm not saying that you wouldn't like it...but if you have been on the King...it will be hard to beat with a hugger 883. The King is probably one of the most agile bikes in the line-up so I don't see what advantage the 883 is going to give you. Plus...all your friends will beat up on you for having a "Girls" bike. Now don't anyone start flaming me. Most of you know or have had experience with someone giving you crap or been a part of dealing it out.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
chrt396 said:
You are too big for an 883. That is a small bike for a woman or vertically challenged male. I'm not saying that you wouldn't like it...but if you have been on the King...it will be hard to beat with a hugger 883. The King is probably one of the most agile bikes in the line-up so I don't see what advantage the 883 is going to give you. Plus...all your friends will beat up on you for having a "Girls" bike. Now don't anyone start flaming me. Most of you know or have had experience with someone giving you crap or been a part of dealing it out.
Was he speaking of a hugger? I didn't see that. I assumed he was talking about a standard XL.

The only place I've seen the "Girls" bike bit is on the internet. In person no one has ever batted an eyelash and the few other harley riders I know have only had positive things to say. Now I suspect I get ignored on the road a bit because some people don't recognize my Sportster as a harley. So what.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Esterhaus said:

In most people's minds that would be a step backwards but whatever makes you happy man. :boobies:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jober said:
In most people's minds that would be a step backwards but whatever makes you happy man. :boobies:

Not considering taking a step forward or backward, but looking to ADD something to the fleet. No plans to get rid of the RK.

I test rode the Sporty and it seemed to fit okay and for the 10 minutes I was on it seemed to be fairly comfortable.

I would like to have another bike, but can't see any other Big Twin as being that different, plus I don't really want to spend another 20 grand.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I think that you would be more comfortable on a Dyna.

·
Registered
168 Posts
do it. I have found that most riders that give
people crap about Sportsters are people who have
neve ridden them. sold my 02 Sportster when I bought
my 04 Heritage. missed it. now have the Heritage and
an 06 1200R. both are great bikes. the Sportster is
just plain fun. anyone that doesn't like them, in my
book, doesn't really understand how enjoyable they
are......

·
Registered
479 Posts
What model is it? Standard, Custom, Roadster, Low?
Does it have the large or peanut tank?
Are the controls mid or forward?
After you break it in you may find it runs hot and needs to be jetted and adjusted.
Except for adjusting the carb and possibly the seat, adding the windscreen and luggage rack, I suggest you just ride it the way it is, since it isn't your primary bike and you are looking for something different.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
1. The nice version
Here's the thing. At 6'1" you're not gonna look very graceful on a Sporty. It's not fair but it's the truth.
2. My gut feeling
You ever hear someone say "_ _ _ _ looks like a monkey humpin' a football"? Well, that would be you.
3. Disclaimer
I don't have an attitude about Sportsters, I used to own one.
All of this is just my humble and unbiased opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
What model is it? Standard, Custom, Roadster, Low?
Does it have the large or peanut tank?
Are the controls mid or forward?
After you break it in you may find it runs hot and needs to be jetted and adjusted.
Except for adjusting the carb and possibly the seat, adding the windscreen and luggage rack, I suggest you just ride it the way it is, since it isn't your primary bike and you are looking for something different.
I was going to say the same thing. Sounded like trying to make a Sportster version of a Road King.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts

I wouldn't waste your money on an 883....at the minimum i'd get a 1200. For just a little more money, someone here had an FXR for dirt cheap, that was sweet. I've ridden a few miles on both an 883 and a 1200 and that's an easy choice between them. And no, nobody else is going to call that a "girls bike"....at least to your face...but they'll STILL BE SAYIN' IT.
just sayin'
Tim

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife has an 06 883 Low which I take to work from time to time especially when the temps outside dip down and she doesn't ride as much. I am 5'11 205#. That bike has plenty of power, corners great and is fun to throw around after all the miles I put on my Classic. Granted the Low is a bit small for me and 1 hr is about the max I could go on it, but it is the perfect bike to tool around town with or go on short trips. If its what you want, go for it. The price is right and who cares what you look like on it? At least your riding and thats all that really matters. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about pleasing someone elses ego.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My Ultra sits on it's centerstand unless I'm traveling. The rest of the time I ride my 'girly' bike which goes 110 mph in 4th gear. Just had my 20,000 mile service done for $170 including Syn3. It's not as comfy as the Ultra, but it's twice as much fun to ride 20,000 trouble free miles and unlike the BT's , it's fast out of the box. Oh yeah, my girly bike has gear driven cams (which it was designed for) so there isn't any orange pieces of plastic in the oil filter. The 883 can easily be bumped to 1200 but I believe the gearing will be a little lower.
No wobble @ 90mph like the BT's (if they'll go 90 mph) and goes down the road in a straight line. No wobble around sweeping turns either. Was I to sell one, I'd sell the Ultra (but that aint gonna happen)

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
The price sure is cheap! Try to pick up a used ironhead sporty in OZ for those $...

I used to have a 1200 Sporty, 91 model 5 Spd. It bloody hauled arse. I had a mini screen on it, sissy bar and rack on back. It would pull the front wheel on 1-2 shift with passenger on it all the time.

Got a ticket doing 104 MPH and I was in 4th gear, just getting going and was running with BT's with big bore kits etc on them and just ate all of them alive.

However, my next bike was a RK and it handled so much better and rode so much better that I never looked back-

Thats just me...now I ride a Squishtail and it handles like arse but its a lot more comfy than my sporty ever was.....

Expect to spend a few $ to get it to fit you right....but you can pick up a lot of used bits and cheap parts on flea bay so what the heck, if you got the $ its a great little project...I would NIGHTSTER it!!

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is unbelievable how some people regard the Sportster in this day and age. I am 6' 0", 230 lbs and the only people that ever said a word to me about size or gender of the bike were RUBS.

·
Registered
357 Posts
used fxr

Esterhaus said:
Not considering taking a step forward or backward, but looking to ADD something to the fleet. No plans to get rid of the RK.

I test rode the Sporty and it seemed to fit okay and for the 10 minutes I was on it seemed to be fairly comfortable.

I would like to have another bike, but can't see any other Big Twin as being that different, plus I don't really want to spend another 20 grand.
I think you'd like a used FXR far better than the Sporty. - I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE SPORTY ! Just that I prefer the FXR
It's different for sure than the RK, larger than the Sporty and handles like a Sporty!

Get a used one, no need to spend 20K, that's what I paid for mine new in y2k

1 - 20 of 28 Posts