V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dumping the Ultra while parking in New Mexico last weekend :(
(dumb move on my part) on a bad angle and up hill, I am really seriously considering putting a lowering kit on my Ultra.
I did a search on lowering and really didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Have any of you lowered your touring bikes and if so what were the results? Good.........Bad...........Otherwise. :) I didn't hurt anything but my pride but the wife was with me and I don't like dumping her on the ground. Kind of messed up my day. :(
Does lowering the bike help with low speed handling? I know it will help get my feet planted on the ground better, but does it actually help the handling? Tell me I'm not the only one that's done this!!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
The owner of the HD shop here is vertically challenged and lowered his 02 Ultra. Our bikes are the same year and color and I noticed his looked smaller than mine. The bike is low enough that I noticed it was different but otherwise stock. So it has been done.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
MY buddy lowered his Road Glide for the same reason (he always dumped his when making slow u turns in parking lots). It worked well for him

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
I lowered my V-star, and it handled better (like it was on rails). It handled great to begin with. Lost a little clearence of course. But I don't know about the Ultra. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It can be done but it is a catch 22.

You can lower them in the rear (the TJ kit is better then the White Bros) and it will help to control the bike while maneuvering it at a stop.
Thing is when riding two up you will have to use more air which tends to rise the bike almost back to where it was, or it might rub in the fender over bumps.
I would also say that if you put your feet down while riding the bike in slow turns you are losing control instead of gaining it and the bike is likely gone anyway.

The front can also be lowered, much easier on the pre 02 bikes, but if you go more then one inch it will sooner or later dent your fender. Lowering the front this little is not cost effective in particular on the later then 02 bikes.

Beware of the HD lowering shocks, they ride like $hit and the tire rubs the wiring in the fender when riding two up, unless you use so much air that the bike becomes a hard tail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks..........I am now more confused than ever. I don't normally put my feet down in slow speed turns. Since adding the Air Zepplin seat my feet don't make good contact with the ground. I was really thinking about lowering the bike to improve getting a more solid stance when stopped.
Anyone else out there with the pros and cons of lowering a touring bike?

:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Hippo on the lowering shocks. The sales rep talked me into them before I picked up my 01 Ultra. Said they would not affect comfort as did the HD catalog. I rode with them for 10k and switched back to stock shocks. There was a huge difference. Much more comfortable. My wife noticed within 1 mile of riding.
Jack in Austin

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd go with a Mustang seat, I already grind the hell out of the foot boards now, can't imagine what would happen if I lowered it. And yes, I've dumped mine too, 29" inseam sucks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
legends air suspension is available. This comes with a compressor so you can raise and lower the bike at any time with a switch. Send them you factory shocks and they rebuild them with their air spring. They also send you the compressor and all necessary wiring for 7-800 dollars. The rep said ther is a 2 week turn around on the shocks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's not really any lower than the stock seat, but lower than Harley's air seat and a bit more narrow too. Very comfortable though, you can sit on it all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I found the Mustang seat a little higher than the stock but of course lower than my Zep. And like Boomer said, the Mustang is much more narrow up front. But, what I didn't like about the Mustang was the angle it placed me. Mustang said that was the proper riding position but for me I didn't like the pitched forward feeling.
Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought about lowering my Road King Classic for some time and finally put the TJ Products 1 1/2" lowering kit on. I am certain that the handling is better and being able to put my feet flat on the ground is a good thing.
The kit installed very easy. I have not scraped the floor boards but did get the kickstand a few times. I did have to pump up the air a little bit in the shocks because the tire was hitting the fender on big bumps. I don't mind the stiffer ride.
TJ has a 1" kit that might be better on the RK and i am sure is a must on the heavier baggers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not new to this forum, just been lurking. I thought I'd weigh in on this subject. I have 2000 Classic and I had the 1" T &J lowering kit installed on my scoot. I got the T & J instead of the White Bros, because the White Bros moves the bottom mounting of the shock back and the T & J keeps the shocks geometry the same as stock. I also had the stock seat modified, by removing 1 1/2" from the height and narrowed at the front. My wife also wanted hers lowered so she wouldn't set so high. I keep about 18/20 lbs in the shocks and don't bottom out unless I hit a real hard bump. So far I'm pleased with this arrangement. It makes me feel a lot more secure, being able to put both feet flat and comfortable when stopped.

Zz

·
Registered
132 Posts
Put the tj 1 1/2 lowering kit on the rear of my '02 RK standard. run 15 to 20 psi one up and 25 to 30 psi 2 up. no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts