V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I just ordered a Sportster XL 883 the other day which will arrive in January. This has been something I have wanted for about 24 years. I am not rich (the Ex took care of that), so this is something that is not only going to be a struggle financially, but a dream come true.

I have never ridden a motorcycle before, although I did ride dirt bikes and mopeds as a kid. Needless to say, this will a new experience for me.

I do not like groups. I never liked being around people I don't choose to be around. I don't like having rules that tell me when I can ride, or how I can ride. If I start out on a ride, I want the option of either changing my mind, or the destination. I don't feel the need to be a part of an organization to belong. I don't take to being told what to do, at all. I don't and won't kiss anyone's ass. I am also not easy to get to know or like.

I am buying the Sportster because I want one. Not to be a part of a culture. Not to be accepted by anyone. I want it for me, and me only. If people like my bike, that's great. If they don't, that's great too. If they like me, that's OK, if they don't that suit's me just fine also. If I make friends while on my bike, that's a plus. If not, I didn't get it to make friends either.

The above said, should I join a local H. O. G. chapter? I ask, not to be convinced one way or another, but to hear both side logically and have the information to make a decision. I ask because there are people here with experience I don't have.

Is there convincing reasons beyond the social aspect to joining a local chapter? Is the group mentality a reason not to join? As far as being accepted or not, I would deal with that on my own terms. Should I stop before I join to save me the hassle?

No, I don't pretend to be a tough guy. That's not my point and I'm certainly not. I just am who I am. Just because I will be riding a Harley, does not mean I will change my ideas or beliefs either. I've been rich, I've been poor. I've been around hoity toity people, and around grass roots regular folk. No matter what, I've been me. I don't want to be something I'm not.

So I ask. Is there a compelling reason or need to join a local chapter?

Thanks for all your help.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
sounds like you may not like hog membership,,,in my experience rides and activities are structured and meals and stops are planned..the folks in my group are for the most part nice folks ,,,probably most could be described as rubs,,,since i am a construction worker type(power company lineman )at 1st i felt kinda out of place ,,,i also march to my own drummer but am also very structured person ,,almost anal,,,i live in a kind a remote small town where no one else rides so the saveing grace is local chapter has a nice web site that i can look at and if i see a place i want to go ,led by a person i dont mind following i go ,,,,if not i do something else ,,and i can always peel off any time i want with just an ok sign and wave

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Given all you said in your post Ross, I don't know why you'd even consider joining HOG or anything else.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
logical said:
Given all you said in your post Ross, I don't know why you'd even consider joining HOG or anything else.
Hi Logical,

JimmyK did bring up the $6 savings. LOL. Being the cheap SOB that I am, that might be worth it :). There might be other benefits beyond the social aspect that I don't know about or realize that might make sense. I have no idea. Hence, the posted question. LOL

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
6 bucks is 6 bucks.....

They do also refund (rebate?) up to a certain ammount for any safety class you take but all you need is the national membership that comes with a new bike to get that.

I am not a local member but I am not against them necessarily....I just don't ever picture myself in some of the pin-laden get-ups that they all seem to end up wearing. I am not a "joiner" either Ross. i'd keep the national member ship up for the benifits but unless you want to meet some people to ride with, i'd skip the local.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Try it for a Year

I think the msf training class rebate comes from National HOG.

I'm a firm supporter of membership in national HOG. The membership experience you'll receive from a local HOG chapter will vary around the country.

Local HOG membership may or may NOT be worthwhile. I suggest that you try it for a year. Local chapter dues are usually less than $20 (the national costs more but includes "discounts" and real benefits). You may meet some people you like to ride with, away from the chapter organized rides. Worse case: you spend $20 on membership, only attend a couple meetings and/or rides. You don't like it. What are you really out?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Local chapters vary greatly, the members can make or break it. You can ususlly join in on a couple of local chapter rides and then decide. I don't get caught up in all the patch and pin stuff, some of the rides are okay.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Around here the HD dealers give 10% off to members of their HOG chapter. I've had my bike since May and never found the time/need to join a local chapter, but I did join one last week to access the 10% off deal.

wyo

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
wyodude said:
Around here the HD dealers give 10% off to members of their HOG chapter. I've had my bike since May and never found the time/need to join a local chapter, but I did join one last week to access the 10% off deal.

wyo
Chicago Harley gives 20% discount to anybody and everybody !! I order online, there's NO TAX and only pay shipping. :D

AS for HOG, IMO and my opinion only, There are too many new riders at the events. Dents, bangs, drops and "ooopsies" don't mix well with me. I went on 1 HOG ride. 3 riders went down. 1 in the lot before we left. He took out another bike. I don't know specs on the others. I heard 1 was a low side. They said the other was too aggressive around a corner and he ditched it. 1/2 of the HOG riders didn't ride anyway. Now don't get me wrong, I got nuthin against new riders, I was one too:rolleyes: .
I'll ride w/ anyone on anything, but if they are green then we keep the group small 3 or 4 max. This way we can help out as needed w/ tips and thoughts.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have a usual group within the group that I ride with because I'm comfortable with their skills. The group as a whole is usually good for new riders as someone will take you in, look out for you, and possibly even teach you something worth learning.

If a local group will put up with me, they'll have most anyone.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Habanero Kid said:

Chicago Harley gives 20% discount to anybody and everybody !! I order online, there's NO TAX and only pay shipping. :D

Hab, Good point.

I've used Chicago HD before. Both Hale's HD and Moroney's HD offer 20% off as well. Every issue of American Iron has adds from lots of dealers that offer 15% off.

However, there are some times when I'm not doing it myself (e.g. stage 2) so it seems to make sense to get a break from my local dealer.

wyo

·
Registered
59 Posts
YES join a chapter

Ross i joined my local chapter here in Australia,this past weekend we went to the annual Victorian rally ,600 turned up in a country town call Mansfield in the high country, in the great dividing range great party,no trouble,and 600 harley's in one place,great women,great atmosphere,great continuous bike show.. And the wanker who only joined to get the 10% discount is talking outa his arse,you wasted your dollars if you don't join in with the activities ,after all you paid the money .I put my patches on my vest with pride , i'm proud to be the owner of the best damn motorcycle in the world,and if you got the road king with a radio and walkie talkies in the helmets hell you might as well have bought A stinking cage.......sorry Ross that guy annoyed me !
On Saturday we rode to the summit of mt Buller for lunch(ski resort)we all earned a pin for the experience...
Sunday we went on the thunder ride my first one unfuckenbelievable 60miles two abreast over hills round bends those fucken farmers must of thought the end was coming ,it was a round trip back to Mansfield where everyone said there goodbye's over coffe, till next year in March for the 100 year party in Sydney Australia now that will be huge.........SO ROSS !JOIN YOU WONT REGRET IT you'll be a member of the biggest bike club in the world
ride safe everybody:D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Re: YES join a chapter

harleyd_49 said:
.......and if you got the road king with a radio and walkie talkies in the helmets hell you might as well have bought A stinking cage.......
Hmmmmm:confused: really now, is there no diversity in Hog owners?:rolleyes:

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Re: Re: YES join a chapter

hogg831 said:

Hmmmmm:confused: really now, is there no diversity in Hog owners?:rolleyes:
Well..they do all seem to wear the exact same silly pin-cushion vests.....

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Re: Re: Re: YES join a chapter

logical said:

Well..they do all seem to wear the exact same silly pin-cushion vests.....
I repeat; Hmmmmm really now, is there no diversity in Hog owners?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts

harleyd_49 said:
And the wanker who only joined to get the 10% discount is talking outa his arse,
FO&D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts

harleyd_49 said:
"..... And the wanker who only joined to get the 10% discount is talking outa his arse,.......sorry Ross that guy annoyed me !

Gee, sorry if I annoyed you.

Welcome to The Forum and Fuc You Very much.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts