V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my bike back from the shop after installing a SE 44mm carb and a SE ignition. The rest of the build consists of 95ci kit, Ported heads, Wiseco flat top pistons, Andrews 37g cams. It dynoed at 85hp and 98ftlb torque.(see dyno sheet below). I was ok with the torque but I thought the HP would have at least been in the 90's and was hoping for 100. Mechanic said that that's about what I should expect with the flat top pistons. He said the engine is a good reliable build and great for two up riding which I agree but after looking at so many other similar builds I just thought I should have gotten more on the HP side. As far as riding it goes , it's a BLAST but just feel I might have left some HP on the table.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My first question is why are they putting a fresh engine build on a dyno?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The build had a 1100mi on it before it was dynoed and the rest of the engine has 2850mi on it. I guess I'll pick up a little HP in time but still not what i thought.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Several things here. I am not a wrench, but I think the carb is too big. Just my personal opinion. Slip ons? WTH is up with that. You have put some good money into a bike, but completely forgot about the exhaust. A good 2-1 (Vance and Hines) will bump that torque up over 100 very easily. I would also be disappointed with the HP. I wonder what your compression is on the build too. Lastly, it is all about the torque baby. HP is for dyno and to impress your friends. Torque is for the street and impressing you. You will know exactly what I mean when you pull up beside a rice rocket and twist the wick leaving him sitting there. Can I get an AMEN??!!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Horse power doesn't mean dick. It is the torque numbers that you need to pay attention to.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate your opinions guys. The reason for the SE slip ons is I love the sound compared to the Vance and Hines I had on my last scoot and wanted something more mellow for touring and listening to tunes. Yes I do know that torque is king and that's what you feel in the seat of your pants. I just added the 44mm carb this week and it did just what the mechanic and Andrews said it would and that was give more power on top and Andrews also said it would also give me a few more ponies....It feels faster with the new carb but I didn't have it dynoed with the stock one so I can't be sure. I just thought there would be more HP there.....Could the pipes be costing me 5 or 10 HP ? I also like the Rinehart true duals but there to loud and two into one just doesn't do it for me.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I had a 44 on my 95" and it was a little too much carb. I had similar cams and ignition too, along with the V&H 2:1. Now I'm at 98" with GMR heads, flat top pistons. Just put the 44 back on. Now we're talkin'! You go dyno it in a couple of more months when the weather gets better around here and you'll see different numbers.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
reg26 said:
I..Could the pipes be costing me 5 or 10 HP ? I also like the Rinehart true duals but there to loud and two into one just doesn't do it for me.
True duals will only help HP on high end and will hurt low end. Atleast as I understand it. 2 into 1 is a better performing pipe.

If your happy with pipes stick with em. Is it worth spending another $400? Up to you to decide.

I am sticking with V&H classics. If something happens to them, damage or rust will then look into propipe.

What jets do you have in? As Geezer said might be to much fuel and air for build.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Pipes pipes pipes
There are a few slip-ons and several 2 into 1 pipes that could booster your power and torque. The slip-ons you have with true duals, IMO throwing good money out. The SE mufflers are restrictive. Better Khromewerks, Rinehart if you want bagger duals. Better yet FatCat
The carb is fine if jetted properly, they are FAT out of the box.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
BTW if the ignition box is the style that drops timing at the top end that could be a power drainer too. You may be surprised the stocker runs better! Sorry I am so contrary but just call them the way I see em.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Compression is 9:1 and I'm not sure about what size jets but as you can see from the dyno it did gain HP and TQ after he rejeted it. I guess I could be wrong about the carb but it does feel better than it did before with the stock 40mm but I don't have a dyno to back it up. I would think Andrews wouldn't have suggested the 44mm if they didn't know what they were talking about though. After all they should now the twin cam by now.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Be happy and ride it. Here's my original Dyno sheet on a similar build. Thought I'd get more by switching slip-ons to Samson Rolled Thunders. After all was said and done, I LOST 9 HP and picked up 2 ft/lb of torgue, so I was better off leaving it alone. BTW, is that a 4th or 5th gear run? I notice it is in STD instead of SAE. Seems like more shops are running them like that...

BTW, don't look like those vile duals hurt my low end too much. :D
No pinging, either.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
reg26 said:
Compression is 9:1 and I'm not sure about what size jets but as you can see from the dyno it did gain HP and TQ after he rejeted it. I guess I could be wrong about the carb but it does feel better than it did before with the stock 40mm but I don't have a dyno to back it up. I would think Andrews wouldn't have suggested the 44mm if they didn't know what they were talking about though. After all they should now the twin cam by now.
No, at least one of the techs at Andrews is an idiot. Told me they always get more HP than torque out of the 37G.
Maybe he's good on cars...

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
reg26, nothin' wrong with your exhaust, the cam may be asking for more compression though. Was your dyno guy able to try different ignition curves? If the bike isn't bogging on the lower end I ASSUME the carb isn't too big.
Not a bad lookin' power curve, no big dips or anything nasty. I agree with you, there should be a few more hp hiding in there somewhere.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
-2$en#e-
reg26 said:
Just got my bike back from the shop after installing a SE 44mm carb and a SE ignition. The rest of the build consists of 95ci kit, Ported heads, Wiseco flat top pistons, Andrews 37g cams. It dynoed at 85hp and 98ftlb torque.(see dyno sheet below). I was ok with the torque but I thought the HP would have at least been in the 90's and was hoping for 100. Mechanic said that that's about what I should expect with the flat top pistons. He said the engine is a good reliable build and great for two up riding which I agree but after looking at so many other similar builds I just thought I should have gotten more on the HP side. As far as riding it goes , it's a BLAST but just feel I might have left some HP on the table.
Friend of mine has a "similar" build on his Street Glide and he's at 98/104. What's your compression at? He's got the same lat tops but Dewey milled his heads to give him 10-1. And who did the heads? He's got the same cams, geared. Oops I just noticed, he's got EFI w/a PC IIIusb. And a good set of "true duals", Rinehart, V&H or Bassani's with a real good tuner and you'll get a real nice curve!! Just my -2$en#e-

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
From what I keep reading from the true wrenches its part combonations that make a build. As I am not here's my suggestion on helping you spend some money.

I think a 42 Mik carb (get you air speed up), adjustable ignition, .030 head gasket to bump compression a little (check clearance), exhaust (if you keep the slip ons just except that you are going to lose something) and finally come to grips that an increase in HP/T is an easy fix with enough money. On the other hand just ride the beast and enjoy......

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I think it has more to do with the mismatched cams to heads and low compression ratio. If you were going to go with the formula build, you shouldn't have run that cam with such low compression.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts