V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was thinking about adding a Harley oil cooler to my 02 Road King Classic /EFI over the winter,, But the dealer says its not needed?

What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Definitely not over the winter. Only use an oil cooler if you run excessively hot. Overcooling is more of a problem then undercooling.

·
Registered
521 Posts
That new cooler is nice, but unless you're riding in slow traffic (might not help here anyway) or excessive temps, it's not really needed. I ride all summer here in temps up to 110 degrees and my oil temp have never gotten above 225 at the oil bag of my '00 Fatboy. But, hey, if ya like it...get it. There's a lot of stuff on my bike that I don't need but can't live without. If it has a thermostat...can't hurt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got it on my 1550 and would for any 1550 or 103 stroker. On the other hand its sorta like guns. I got more than I need but not as many as I want.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had one put on mine from the get go. It is thermostatically controlled, so it can't cool unless it needs cooling. It gets mighty hot here in the summer. They say it ain't the heat, it's the humidity, but hot is hot!!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
The humidity is arguable. Human are effected by humidity because we rely on evaporation for cooling. An engine on the other hand does not. 100% humidity will not effect an engine the same as a human.

A gauge is the first thing. Not knowing what is going on sucks. A thermostatically controlled cooler is the best bet over all if needed.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A oil cooler was the 1st mod I did to my TC.
Overcooling would only be a problem in very cold riding conditions. The T-stat only bypasses 70% on the H-D coolers, so it may be that a cover is the best thing for extrem cold riding condition.

A oil cooler may be the 1st best add-on to any Harley that will see hot weather riding. Some folk dont like them so the Mo. Co. made sure the TC could survive with out them but its been said that some tech's wanted TC's to have them from the factory.

·
Registered
254 Posts
RMharleyman said:
Hi i was thinking about adding a Harley oil cooler to my 02 Road King Classic /EFI over the winter,, But the dealer says its not needed?

What do you guys think ?
Hey neighbor. RM I live in MA and my humble opinion is here in New England a oil cooler is a waste of money. I can see the point in the south and southwest where it get Africa hot but hell up here, mid 90's three days in a row is a big deal. As I watch the snow falling out my window.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kags said:
Overcooling would only be a problem in very cold riding conditions.
I disagree. Overcooling occurs anytime where the oil does not reach a temperature high enough to evaporate all of the water trapped in the crankcase. This can happen on a 110 degree day, or a 10 degree day. You need to reach a high enough temperature range, for an certian period of time to flash off all of the water. At 210-220 degree's, this wil happen much faster as opposed to 180 degree's.

Heat wise, I don't worry about an air cooled until well over 230 degree's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It has been claimed by some that the TC88 original design included an oil cooler.

The temperature at the oil tank does not reflect the highest temp your oil sees.

Installaling a themostat will ensure your oil gets to 180 degrees F before the cooler is used.

My oil temp reached 245 degrees F without the cooler, in mild weather during normal city riding (not much traffic).

Your oil does not have to get to 212 F to vaporize moisture.

If you don't use an oil cooler, you might consider using synthetic oil if your oil runs hot.

I run a cooler, and use a cover over the cooler when it's cool outside...without the cover, in downtown traffic I still see about 235 degrees F when the ambient temp is 95 F, confirmed by two gauges. I don't like to see engines running too hot.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have one. I live in Hell. In Hell they come in handy. If you don't live in Hell you probably don't need one.

Now Purgetory is another subject. If you are there no longer than your warranty, don't worry about it. If you outlast your warranty then To Hell with it and go ahead and get one.

Welcome to Hous... ehhh Hell.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
RainRider said:
Folks,
You might want to check this out (confirmation, enlightenment, etc.)
No, it's not something about Zen LOL
http://www.hdcycles.com/oilcooler.htm

Good rides,
RainRider
One thing I would dissagree with Don about is the statement no air means no cooling" A oil cooler will cool even in still not moving conditons. That statement is like saying " when you stop moving your motor has no cooling". We all no that the heat convexes off the motor at a light or stop sign. Same for a cooler. I think he was addressing a good place to mount the cooler rather than a low air flow place.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My oil changes have mostly been while I'm on the road somewhere so I'm kinda stuck with Harley oil. I use an oil cooler with thermostat and a Feuling oil pump. I do run lowers sometimes so I'm doing my best to help the engine stay cool.......

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
My oil cooler protects me from the snipers here in Maryland.;) OK, just kidding, but I drove from Gettysburg last night back home and stopped along the side of the road to gas up, and with my Oil Cooler my oil was still 200 degrees plus.

My opinon, if ya get one with a Thermostat, you can't go wrong, plus they look good! :D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey JFS, if you want protection from snipers, I am sure there are some here who would recomend, DRINK SYNTETIC OIL.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Good point, Kags,
I haven't read that "article" for a long time, but remembered it, and knew it had some good info.
If things didn't cool while we were stopped, the legs wouldn't get hot from the convection. LOL
Good rides,
RainRider

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was going to put an oil cooler on, but most of the people around don't use them. I am just going to put an oil temp gage in the fairing so I can keep an eye on it. I don't get stuck in traffic that often and the weather around here isn't that hot, but if I lived in hell or purgatory I would get one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts