V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pet peeves is that the Harley dealership doesn't sell Harley tools, and other tools, for working on their bikes. I understand that they want you to use the service department, but the people who work on their bikes will work on them anyway, so why not help those people and make a profit on the sale of tools?

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was meaning mostly the Harley specialty tools, the tools you can't get anywhere else.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Player said:
One of my pet peeves is that the Harley dealership doesn't sell Harley tools, and other tools, for working on their bikes. I understand that they want you to use the service department, but the people who work on their bikes will work on them anyway, so why not help those people and make a profit on the sale of tools?
Do Ford, GM, Lexus or Kia dealerships sell specialty tools to work on their cars? I'd think the the MOCO would sell tools if they felt like it would be an overall profitable thing to do.

T113

·
Registered
934 Posts
BryanL said:
With a 100% markup, most people wouldn't pay the price to buy tools from a dealer.

But they buy the shirts, jeans, belts, boots, etc. that have the same mark-up.

I think the only reason is that they do not want you working on your own bike, and by supplying the tools, they think they'd be cutting into their service dept's business.

That's my guess

Oh, yeah, I think the aftermarket makes just about any tool you'll ever need to be able to work on your Harley.

darrell
(I'll stick with Snap-On and Craftsman, myself)

·
Registered
927 Posts
One time I bought a specialty GM pulley puller from GM. HD should (and probably does somewhere) sell its specialty tools to those that want them.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
AFAIK, you can order anything from the dealer that has a Harley part number. I checked their prices and finally bought JIMS at a discount before I heard about George's Garage.

The Harley tools are made by some other company anyway. All of the part numbers are listed in the Appendix starting with A-1 in the service manual.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Player said:
???

All the special tool part numbers are in the Harley-Davidson Service Manuals. At the front of the manual HD gives the address for Kent-Moore Products and states that all "HD" , "J", or "B" tools must be ordered through them.

Harley most likely figures the PITB factor for selling tools is not worth the profit. If there was a great demand, I bet HD would sell special tools.

In any case, I've always found Kent-Moore to have prompt service.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
trooper113 said:
Do Ford, GM, Lexus or Kia dealerships sell specialty tools to work on their cars? I'd think the the MOCO would sell tools if they felt like it would be an overall profitable thing to do.
Yes they do. Especially for parts that are specific to their cars. They tend not to sell "common" tools, just ones that you won't find at a local hardware store.

MOCO does sell tools, but its the same as other manufacturers in that its mainly specialty tools. Spanner wrenches to adjust Softail shock absorbers and oil filter wrenches (the ones with the whole cut out) for example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a dealer show you his statement from HD. His bill for special tools will bring you to your knees. The cost of these items are rediculous.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I bought a Jims tool at my local dealership before.
I think they should rent tools, most of all of the ones I have bought dont get used much. I mean how many needle bearings do I need to put in the back of the case ??? Most of my tools have come from Georges Garage............>>>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts