V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may or may not know, I've been looking for a pistol to carry instead of the Taurus Ultra-Light .38 Special revolver I currently carry (which kicks like crazy and I can't seem to be accurate with no matter what I try - something that's unusual for me).

At a respected member's recommendation, I've been looking at the Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP. I've been picking my source's brain and he's provided me with a WEALTH of information on this gun.

After researching and asking questions to my satisfaction, I had decided on purchasing the gun except for one big issue: I'd never shot a .45 before. It didn't make sense to me to spend hundreds of dollars on a new gun without ever having shot that caliber before.

I'd been told that the .45 is a pleasant round to shoot, but I was kind of intimidated by it, figuring since it was so big it would be harsh.

Well, my husband Travus and I went with a friend to a shooting club yesterday, and one of the old timers there let me shoot two of his Kimber .45's. One I believe was a Compact CDP II (7 + 1) http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/compactcdp.php and the other was a regular sized pistol (I believe it was 9 or 10 rounds??).

Well, I'll tell ya - I absolutely LOVED shooting these guns! The .45 rounds were VERY manageable, MUCH less recoil than my Taurus .38 Special revolver, or even the .40 Glock and .40 Taurus pistol I've shot. And, I was VERY accurate.

Below are a couple pics of the target after two rounds of shooting the Compact CDP II at about 3-4 yards.

I made one shot, then aimed to group the rest of the shots around that first shot. Even with a couple mis-fires that had to be cleared (the guy had reloads that were apparently a little light), I did VERY well. Then when I shot at a target around 9 yards away, I hit it every time in a good, tight grouping. When I shot the larger gun, I hit a small target at 18 yards every time except once.

Needless to say, my mind is made up now. I'm thrilled that I got to finally shoot a .45 and did so well with it. I can honestly say out of all the guns I've shot, this was my favorite pistol and round.

It was described it perfectly to me as being more of a "boom" than a "bang".

Anyway, not that I'm an expert by any means, but for any of you who might be wondering about the recoil or manageability of a .45, let me tell ya that it's a MUCH nicer round to shoot than pretty much anything else I've tried (except a .22).

My decision is made to get myself an XD-45 to carry. My confidence in the weapon I carry is a big deal to me, and after shooting that pistol yesterday and doing so well with it, I'm ready to throw the Taurus in the gun safe and leave it there.

·
Flying low
812 Posts
Have you shot an XD? Its a completely different experience than a 1911. The XD has a double-action trigger pull that I personally didn't like at all. I love the 1911, but as much as I really, really wanted to like the XD45, I didn't like it a bit. I was very glad I rented one at the local indoor range before buying.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DBotkin said:
Have you shot an XD? Its a completely different experience than a 1911. The XD has a double-action trigger pull that I personally didn't like at all. I love the 1911, but as much as I really, really wanted to like the XD45, I didn't like it a bit. I was very glad I rented one at the local indoor range before buying.
Hmmmm.... I asked about the comparison this morning and was told the XD has a true single action similar to the Kimbers I fired.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
i think you need to shoot some other loads (commercial) that represent what you will fire in every day use (not his custom light loads)

my wife was happy with standard 45 loads, but the HOT hollow points hurt her hand after only a few rounds.

she put a few clips thru of regular ball ammo.

the consensus was, that she COULD shoot the hot stuff, and the adrenaline would make her stronger to deal with it. but i think .45 Ball ammo will do Ok. it's more important to not be afraid of the gun/recoil and HIT them, than how hard you hit (or miss) them.

i have a Ruger P-90 .45 ACP.

it's a "combat" gun - no safety, no cocking, just squeeze the trigger and fire.

I like the DAO/SAO for simplicity for women.
I got it for the wife, we had 3 guns,

one was PULL safety down, pull hammer down, then fire

next was PUSH safety up, leave hammer alone, then LLLLONNGG pull, then fire.
then short pull after the reciol cocked it.

and the P-90,
don't touch nothing, LLLLOONNNG pull, then fire.
then short pull after the reciol cocked it.

she don't want to practice enough to figure out which was which, easier just keep the big simple gun.

so, yeah, i would shoot some more, and ask folks if you can shoot their guns.

a Kimber is ~$1500 or so, have to imagine it would be sweet.

FWIW, the Range in Charleston, ATP, lets you rent a variety of guns to use on their range,

maybe give them a call, to see if they have the model you want up for rent?

ATP Gun Shop & Range - Summerville, SC, 29483-8632 - CitysearchTrader World Gun & Indoor Rng 7163 Cross County Rd North Charleston, SC 29418 ... Got a Tip? Write a review for ATP Gun Shop & Range

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04ctd said:
i think you need to shoot some other loads (commercial) that represent what you will fire in every day use (not his custom light loads)

so, yeah, i would shoot some more, and ask folks if you can shoot their guns.

a Kimber is ~$1500 or so, have to imagine it would be sweet.

FWIW, the Range in Charleston, ATP, lets you rent a variety of guns to use on their range,

maybe give them a call, to see if they have the model you want up for rent?
I did shoot some rounds other than the light reloads he put in at first, and there was only a slight difference in recoil, but you're right in recommending I fire some of the rounds I'd actually use in the gun while carrying. Thanks for the suggestion and info. The two ranges around here didn't have squat to rent.

I would LOVE to have a Kimber, but as you mentioned, the price is a little out of my range right now. Then again, how much is my life worth?

My husband has a pretty extensive collection of guns, so I've gotten to shoot all sorts of different things in the past year: Glock 22, Taurus .40 Milennium pistol, Ruger GP 100, Ruger Super Red Hawk, AR-15, 9mm pistol, .22 pistol (can't remember the makes), .38 Special Taurus revolver, etc.

I can honestly say that except for the Ruger GP 100 revolver, which is my favorite gun (not too practical for concealed carry, unfortunately), I was most accurate and comfortable with the .45 I shot yesterday.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really like the two .40 caliber pistols I've shot. The Glock 22's grip is too wide for me (hubbie wants a Glock 36 slimline for his birthday, which fits great in my hand! :D ), and I just don't care for the Taurus Milennium .40.

Just seems that the recoil on the .40 caliber pistols is "sharper", which makes sense since it's a faster round than the .45. Probably comes down to personal preference, I guess, but my thought is that if I'm confident in my ability with a .45, then that's what I should go with. :)

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Kimbers are a cut above.....

Laurie,

I've got a number of .45's. Only one of them is a Kimber - an Ultra Elite.

Don't base all .45's on how the Kimber felt. The Kimber is hands down the nicest shooting handgun I've ever fired. It's smooooooth, well balanced and accurate as heck. I've got a Colt Series 70, a Combat Commander, and a couple other .45's that I like. However, they shoot completely different from the Kimber. I'm WAY more accurate with my compact frame Kimber than with my full frame accurized Mark IV.

My advice is that if you like the Kimber, shoot some other .45's first - ESPECIALLY the one you're thinking of buying. If you find the Kimber is way nicer, try to find a nice used one.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The .45 is a great round that has stood the test of time after almost 100 years. You'll never have any problem finding ammo either.

I have a Springfield 1911, and one of the new Glock 21SF's. You should check out this new Glock. It holds 14 rouns of .45 ACP, it feels good in the hand, it's accurate, it's reliable as hell, and it won't break the bank. It might still be a bit big for a woman, even though this one is slimmed down in the grip from the old Glock 21, but it just all depends on the person. Give it a try and see what you think.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
winpitt - I've been trying to find one of the Springfield XD-45 compacts to shoot, but no one around here has one - or even one of the regular sized ones. :thumbsdn:

I'll see if I can find a couple other .45's to try just to see how they compare to the Kimber. I'm trying to get my husband a Glock 36 (.45 slimline - single stack) for his birthday at the end of the month, so that's one I'll be able to try.

If, like you say, the Kimber is so much better, then I just might be better off to save my money for the Kimber.

Ah man - this is worse than being addicted to buying shoes..... :D

Thanks all, for the responses and info.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Misterb said:
The .45 is a great round that has stood the test of time after almost 100 years. You'll never have any problem finding ammo either.

I have a Springfield 1911, and one of the new Glock 21SF's. You should check out this new Glock. It holds 14 rouns of .45 ACP, it feels good in the hand, it's accurate, it's reliable as hell, and it won't break the bank. It might still be a bit big for a woman, even though this one is slimmed down in the grip from the old Glock 21, but it just all depends on the person. Give it a try and see what you think.
Hey MisterB! The Glock 22's that my husband has ARE a little too big for my hand, plus I'm looking for something concealeable to carry in place of the Taurus .38 Special revolver I have.

I'll probably be getting my husband a Glock 36 for his birthday, and he thinks I should get a Glock, but I really want something that I can carry AND shoot at the range and enjoy.

That's why I'm looking at the Springfield XD-45 - it has the 10+1 magazine for concealed carry, and the 13+1 magazine w/grip extender for regular shooting.

Ah, decisions, decisions.... :D

·
Flying low
812 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
Hmmmm.... I asked about the comparison this morning and was told the XD has a true single action similar to the Kimbers I fired.
It is a "true single action", I stand corrected. However, that official nomenclature and a common cartridge is where any similarity to a Kimber or any other 1911 design ends. The XD has a very light double-action style trigger pull... kind of like a revolver trigger, but with a Sta-Puft marshmallow instead of a spring. Just go to a gun shop and dry-fire one, you'll see what I mean. What really bugged me was the almost total lack of any hint of a "break" - it fires when it fires, and you really don't have a good feel for when that will be. In a gunfight I suppose it would be fine, for plinking or paper punching it bugged the hell out of me. So much so that after the first magazine and a half, I took the rental gun back to the counter & swapped it for a mil-spec 1911.

I have fired a nicely tuned Kimber stainless .45, and a couple of far less expensive mil-spec 1911s. Yes, the Kimber was noticeably tighter, obviously more expensive and all. I didn't see $1K difference between them for carry & plinking purposes. Yes, if I were doing some serious competition shooting, I'd maybe look at the Kimber - but for a carry gun or just for fun, I like the stainless Springfield 1911s with adjustable sights. Plus of course it's like owning a Harley; there's no end of things you can do to make it better, faster, fancier, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the XD-45 is not a fine weapon. I'm just saying, don't think it's going to feel or shoot like anyone's idea of a 1911 .45 auto. It's totally different, other than the satisfying THUMP on the receiving end of that slug.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
Hey MisterB! The Glock 22's that my husband has ARE a little too big for my hand, plus I'm looking for something concealeable to carry in place of the Taurus .38 Special revolver I have.

I'll probably be getting my husband a Glock 36 for his birthday, and he thinks I should get a Glock, but I really want something that I can carry AND shoot at the range and enjoy.

That's why I'm looking at the Springfield XD-45 - it has the 10+1 magazine for concealed carry, and the 13+1 magazine w/grip extender for regular shooting.

Ah, decisions, decisions.... :D
In that case, you may want to look at the Glock 30. It appears to be smaller overall than the XD-45, yet still holds 10+1 for concealed carry, or 13+1 for the range, or a Scherer 25 round mag for WWIII, and... it's a Glock.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
For what it's worth my wife has the Kimber Ultra CDP, 3" barrel, she shoots ball rounds for practice but Hydrashok for carry. She loves the gun, very accurate at close range needed for carry. We use Wilson Combat mags instead of Kimbers mags in all our 1911s. Never had a mis-feed with the Wilson mags. Oh, the Ultra has tritium night sights also.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
winpitt - I've been trying to find one of the Springfield XD-45 compacts to shoot, but no one around here has one - or even one of the regular sized ones. :thumbsdn:

I'll see if I can find a couple other .45's to try just to see how they compare to the Kimber. I'm trying to get my husband a Glock 36 (.45 slimline - single stack) for his birthday at the end of the month, so that's one I'll be able to try.

If, like you say, the Kimber is so much better, then I just might be better off to save my money for the Kimber.

Ah man - this is worse than being addicted to buying shoes..... :D

Thanks all, for the responses and info.
Laurie,

The Kimber really is nice. Some of the Wilsons are also really nice. I've also got a Glock 23 and had a Glock 21. The 23 is nice, but it's a utility piece. I don't like shooting it near as much (actually I'm not all that crazy about it). I fired an XD-45 and it wasn't for me. It seemed like the trigger pull was too long. Kind of like a double action feel on a single action auto. I've never ever had a misfire or jam with my Kimber. I have had some feed problems with both of my colts. My previous Springfield was about the same as the colts - though I wouldn't classify any of them as problems. Just that the Kimber has been completely flawless, reliable, and accurate as heck. A buddy of mine was completely pissed that I could outshoot him with my Ultra Elite at 50 feet against his Sig P220. So we switched, and he outshot me using my Kimber. Poor guy.

You shouldn't have to pay an extra $1k for something like a Kimber. The nice thing about Kimbers and Wilsons (and the like) is that they are rarely abused. Don't be afraid to look around for one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Springfield makes compact and subcompact .45's (so does Para Ordnance) and they might save you some cash versus a Kimber. The Ruger P345 is a cool pistol with a better grip than most Rugers, too.

An XD-45 will shoot different than 1911's (in my opinion). If you don't go with a sub compact length barrel (3") you might get very nice power from a 9mm model such as an XD-9 or something in a 1911 frame and get much less recoil.

My wife loves the 3" .45's and has considered a subcompact XD model but hasn't changed from her 2" snub and KelTec .380 at this point. I think if I get a 3" .45 she'll want to carry it more and more. And I am strongly considering a Springfield or a Para Warthawg.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Misterb said:
In that case, you may want to look at the Glock 30. It appears to be smaller overall than the XD-45, yet still holds 10+1 for concealed carry, or 13+1 for the range, or a Scherer 25 round mag for WWIII, and... it's a Glock.
Actually, I goofed - it was the Glock 30 that I held over the weekend that was definitely too big for my hand. My husband was looking at that one as a concealed carry, but changed his mind to the Glock 36 slimline for concealability after checking them both out. The Glock 22 .40 caliber pistols fit my hand a little better but are too big to really conceal and I really don't like them for some reason.

kevsett - Springfield doesn't make the XD-45 in a sub-compact - yet - only the 4" barrel with the 10 + 1 and 13 +1 magazines. They DO make the sub-compact 3" barrel in other calibers, but I want a .45.

DBot - thanks for all the info! :)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hey Laurie,

Just asking, but any reason for wanting the .45 for a carry weapon? If its a defensive weapon and the person that needs shot is within a close distance, a 9mm or .40 would do the trick and they tend to be more accurate weapons. If they're not that close, you might want to run away. If you fire a .45 and miss, it could got through the wall of a house and kill someone in the house. Just some thoughts. Not in any way trying to say you're looking at the wrong gun. I'll be buying a Kimber or Springfield .45 later this year myself - I've always wanted one. But for a carry weapon, I have a Glock 19 (9mm). With 15+1, IF I should ever needed it (which I pray I never do), I like my chances of stopping the problem at hand. :)

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thatoldbike said:
Hey Laurie,

Just asking, but any reason for wanting the .45 for a carry weapon? If its a defensive weapon and the person that needs shot is within a close distance, a 9mm or .40 would do the trick and they tend to be more accurate weapons. If they're not that close, you might want to run away. If you fire a .45 and miss, it could got through the wall of a house and kill someone in the house. Just some thoughts. Not in any way trying to say you're looking at the wrong gun. I'll be buying a Kimber or Springfield .45 later this year myself - I've always wanted one. But for a carry weapon, I have a Glock 19 (9mm). With 15+1, IF I should ever needed it (which I pray I never do), I like my chances of stopping the problem at hand. :)
Hey there! Did your magazine come out yet??? I want to see pics when it does! :)

Here's some info I was given that helps explain my choice for a .45 ACP - because I asked the same question you did.

So far, out of all the guns I've shot, with the exception of the Ruger GP 100 pistol (which I can't very well carry), I did by far the best with this Kimber .45 that I shot over the weekend. Granted, there will be differences between the Kimber and the XD-45 I'm looking at, but I really don't like any of the other calibers I've shot as much as the .45. Maybe just a personal preference, but the info below also lends weight to the idea of carrying a .45:

"ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol. This is the round that was developed along with the Colt 1911 Pistol. It was designed to, and is still unsurpassed at, stopping an attack by a human. The characteristics that make it ideal for this are its relatively low speed (many loads are subsonic at about 800 feet per second), and the bullet's large diameter (.451 inch) and heavy weight (230 grain is very common, although 185 gr. jacketed HP is a common defense round). This combination ensures the greatest possible expenditure of energy in the target, with less danger of over-penetration.

A 9mm by contrast is using a bullet with a caliber of .357, with a common weight of about 150 gr, but moving at 1300 fps. This gives it a basic energy value near the .45, but the frontal area of the bullet is so much smaller, that it tends not to lose that energy in a target. This is the very reason you hear so many accounts of people being shot multiple times with 9mm, without it stopping the attack."

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
thatoldbike said:
Hey Laurie,

Whoa there! A 9mm is more likely to accidently penetrate than a .45. Take a look at the ballistics! And accuracy at closer ranges is a non-issue between a 9mm, .40 or .45.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep, that's correct. Sorry, my response was convoluted and didn't properly identify that fact. They may never do a subcompact XD-45 but the 4" would still be quite easy to conceal.

Lady Godiva said:
kevsett - Springfield doesn't make the XD-45 in a sub-compact - yet - only the 4" barrel with the 10 + 1 and 13 +1 magazines. They DO make the sub-compact 3" barrel in other calibers, but I want a .45.

DBot - thanks for all the info! :)

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kevsett said:
Yep, that's correct. Sorry, my response was convoluted and didn't properly identify that fact. They may never do a subcompact XD-45 but the 4" would still be quite easy to conceal.
That's why I'm-a lookin' for one! Kinda cool too that the XD-45 has the two different sized magazines - makes it like 2 guns in one! A little smaller when you want to carry, a little bigger when you want to shoot at targets! :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts