V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 9 months riding with the stock windshield on my 05 FLHT, today I took the power jig saw and cut three inches off the top. It is now so sweet! I was always looking through the windshield, now I'm lookikng over it. And the wind just misses the top of my helmet.

I guess I'm too cheap to buy even an inexpensive replacement. Granted I still have a bit of finishing work to do with a belt-sander (wasn't too straight with the saw at some places), but all in all I'm quite satisfied.

I masked the plastic before cutting and had no problems with chipping or cracking.

-bluelab

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did the same with the standard shield I bought for my FLHRS. Used the 4" shorter smoked one that I have for a template. Chopped 2" off and finished the edge with a D/A sander. Looks factory and works great, saved some bucks too! Whole job took less than 2hrs including changing the framework out.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
if any of you guys have any pics that would be great....It sounds like a good alternative to buying3-4 to get the one you want...i currently use a 4 inch in the summer and a 9 inch in the winter and for long 300mile plus rides..

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
txchop,

Exactly my thinking. I have a 4" for the look and breezy ride. The 9" (formerly 12") is for winter / rainy riding.

I ended up using the 4" as a pattern. Then I added a bit more curve to the corners. Lucky I stopped at 9"; any shorter and the wind would hit me in the forehead.

-bluelab

1 - 5 of 5 Posts