V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found me a syringe with an 18.5 cg needle bout 2 inches long in the attic, filled it full of Breakfree CLP lube and shot it down both the throttle and clutch cables. Beat heck out of the baggy full of oil and rubber band trick on the clutch cable and the 2 inch reach made access to the throttle cables a breeze. Breakfree sure made em awful smooth to, even in the cold.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOPS..did i post this in the wrong forum or what..sorry folks
I got a bunch of em from throwaway stock (unused) at a hospital I remodeled years ago. Used on reels and guns, now they come in handy on a bike too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I need to lube the cables as part of the 10K service.

Can you provide step by step instructions to lube the Clutch and throttle cable?

Thank You

JLOPEZ

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch... slide the boot back on the cable exposing the 9/16 and 1/2 adjuster nuts. Back off on the adjuster nut all the way to get all the freeplay in the cable u can get at the clutch lever bracket. Slide the cable cover away from the clutch lever bracket. Remove the lil retaining ring from the underside of the clutch lever. Now pull out the retaining pin from the top side. Now work out the clutch lever from the clutch bracket. Push the anchor pin and bushing out of the clutch lever to release the cable. Now the lever should be free of the cable. Clean all the gunk from the 2 holes in the clutch lever and the ring at the end of the clutch cable. Now this is where my lil set of works, the syringe comes in handy. I fill it bout 3/4 full of my preferred lube. insert the needle between the clutch cable (the strande wires) and clutch cable jacket at the metal ferrule. Dont try to force it all the way in..it aint goin deep here. Keeping the cable pointed up I boot the syringe a lil at a time till i see the lube pool at the top then sink in.. I do this repeatedly till the syringe is empty. Then I lube the cleaned anchor pin, bushing, and the pivot pin and reassemble. Take the slack back out of the clutch cable via the adjuster nuts till theres between 1/16 and 1/8 freeplay between the bracket and the ferrule. Squeeze the clutch a few times to make sure that gap doesnt change..tighten the locknut on the adjuster cable, pull the boot back over em and yer done.
Throttle cables: This is easier. I just remove the upper switch housing only so I can see where the 2 cables come up from the underside of the lower housing...fill my syringe bout 1/2 full with my favorite lube and stick the needle in each of the lil holes the cables come out of and squirt a lil lube in each..slowly like i did the clutch cable. I spray lil silicone lube into the lower housing so as to lube the throtte adjuster, give the throttle a couple twist the replace the upper switch housing loosely with both torx screws then tighten the lower then the upper to specs..(34-45 inch pounds).
Im sure this is all clear as mud but its the best I could do. Good luck.

·
FONG
115 Posts
Excellent instructions !

Ironbutt,
Your instructions for lubing the cables was excellent. You should write a "Service Manual for the Average Guy". ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Should I lube my new clutch cable...???

Installing a Khrome Werks Sweepers handlebars on my 'o5 Ultra Classic, and I ordered the 3" extended Harley OEM cable, should I lube it prior to install??? Lub-it8 seems to be popular, local stealer has a Yamalube Cable lube for $9.00...haven'e checked with the HD house, BTW largest Harley Dealer in the US, over 700 bikes on the floor...

http://www.barnettharley.com/entry01.htm

Any tipe one changing out the cable would be appreciated, I do have the service manual...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Always lube a new cable

Before the cable has been installed hang it from one end and place a small pan underneath to catch the extra. I have always used Dry-slide because it drys leaving little to have dirt stick to and the bottle comes with a cool hypo type needle so you can lube like the starting post suggests. Never use WD-40 though, in time it will turn to a thick sticky coating. But you can use motor oil, Breakfree, Super Lube, cable lube or whatever. I saturate the cable until it comes out the bottom and then let it hang over night for the excess to run off.

·
Dyna_Willie
542 Posts
Clutch... slide the boot back on the cable exposing the 9/16 and 1/2 adjuster nuts. Back off on the adjuster nut all the way to get all the freeplay in the cable u can get at the clutch lever bracket. Slide the cable cover away from the clutch lever bracket. Remove the lil retaining ring from the underside of the clutch lever. Now pull out the retaining pin from the top side. Now work out the clutch lever from the clutch bracket. Push the anchor pin and bushing out of the clutch lever to release the cable. Now the lever should be free of the cable. Clean all the gunk from the 2 holes in the clutch lever and the ring at the end of the clutch cable. Now this is where my lil set of works, the syringe comes in handy. I fill it bout 3/4 full of my preferred lube. insert the needle between the clutch cable (the strande wires) and clutch cable jacket at the metal ferrule. Dont try to force it all the way in..it aint goin deep here. Keeping the cable pointed up I boot the syringe a lil at a time till i see the lube pool at the top then sink in.. I do this repeatedly till the syringe is empty. Then I lube the cleaned anchor pin, bushing, and the pivot pin and reassemble. Take the slack back out of the clutch cable via the adjuster nuts till theres between 1/16 and 1/8 freeplay between the bracket and the ferrule. Squeeze the clutch a few times to make sure that gap doesnt change..tighten the locknut on the adjuster cable, pull the boot back over em and yer done.
Throttle cables: This is easier. I just remove the upper switch housing only so I can see where the 2 cables come up from the underside of the lower housing...fill my syringe bout 1/2 full with my favorite lube and stick the needle in each of the lil holes the cables come out of and squirt a lil lube in each..slowly like i did the clutch cable. I spray lil silicone lube into the lower housing so as to lube the throtte adjuster, give the throttle a couple twist the replace the upper switch housing loosely with both torx screws then tighten the lower then the upper to specs..(34-45 inch pounds).
Im sure this is all clear as mud but its the best I could do. Good luck.
What an excellent tutorial....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Dontdial911-

Very interesting terms you used in your description..

"I boot the syringe a lil at a time"

"Now this is where my lil set of works, the syringe comes in handy"

etc...

Sound like a former neighbor I had.. He was always 'booting something up his main-line w/his lil set of works".. He is now like Neil Young's song sung, "Every Junkie's like a setting sun" gone..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts