V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Mustang Solo on my 05 FatBoy, but have found on longer rides I am just a little too far back. I have changed the risers & tilts the handlbars back, but I think I need a seat that moves me forward approximately two inches to be comfortable with the floorboards.

I have looked at LaPera Up Fron Sillouette, the Saddlemen Lo-Boy & Take Charge seats, but prefer the solo look without anything over the fender. Danny Grey has one that is called the Speedcradle that advertises moving you forward a couple of inches.

Any opinions/suggestions? I have already figured out the motorcycle seats are really hard for anyone to tell someone else how they work out.

CEE

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the Corbin close solo on my 03 fatboy. I tried all kinds of different seats and gels, including a heritage softail and several other HD seats, I keep putting the Corbin back on. My legs would cramp with anything else after a couple of days in the saddle or after 40 miles my butt just plain ached with others. Corbins are hard and don't appear to be comfy and I keep thinking a real cushy seat would be best. I had a hard time paying 300+ for a seat I couldn't try but reminded myself how much I spent on other ones with no luck. I put 7500 mile on in 21 days with the Corbin and was glad I had it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CEE said:
I put a Mustang Solo on my 05 FatBoy, I have changed the risers & tilts the handlbars back,
CEE
CEE, what risers did you install? I'm trying to figure out if I can use 4.5" pullbacks on my 06' Fboy but would like to keep everything else stock if I can? Some tell me it won't work and others say it will? Looking at my brake line, it looks like I would have to change it due to the height requirements? also HD dealer tells me that the stock turn signals would hit my tank/console? Please elaborate on what you did and if you had any difficulties with clearance, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing I changed was the stock handlebar to a chrome handlebar. The work order shows: Chrome Handlebar, FX 56079-93T, which also necessitated the change of the brake line according to the H-D Tech.

I then put on the Deluxe Auxiliary Light kit #68669-05, which moved the turn signals off the handlebars to down under the auxiliary lights.

The H-D techs were telling me that if I put on any of the H-D risers I had been looking at, I would have to swap out the rest of the cables, which I did not want to do, partly for cost & partly figured there were shorter risers out there somewhere.

I went with the Drag Specialties #H49-167 (2 & 1/2" custom pullback risers $49.95, which I still see listed on page 571 in the 2006 Dennis Kirk H-D catalog. They're also online at www.denniskirk.com. This let me increase the riser, but not change any more cables etc. I was also able to use the factory handlebar clamp.

4.5" seems a little much to stay with the same cables, but I did this myself by pulling the bar loose, pulling the factory risers & loosely bolting on the aftermarket to see if it would work. I love riding, but am not much of a "wrench" when it comes to working on things.

Any other questions, just ask, & if I don't know I'll admit it too. On the seat question, I went with the Danny Grey Speedcradle from Dennis Kirk, which came in today, but between the winter weather that just blew in & being sick, I'll have to wait to try it out. Sitting on one in the garage or show room is not comparable to being out on the road to see how things fit. CE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts