V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an "06" wide glide. I love the forward controls but my legs are just a bit short and I have the feeling that I can't totally relax them. Risking they will slip off. I just bought a Mustang Regal Duke seat so my wife would be more comfortabe on the back. It won't arive for a few weeks as the company is still in progress with the "06" seats.
Lookind at the picture I'm hoping the seat will put me in a more forward position. Has anyone with a DWG purchased this seat? Has it changed you're riding position and what is you're opinion of its comfort?

Pic
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
pic824 said:
Just purchased an "06" wide glide. I love the forward controls but my legs are just a bit short and I have the feeling that I can't totally relax them. Risking they will slip off. I just bought a Mustang Regal Duke seat so my wife would be more comfortabe on the back. It won't arive for a few weeks as the company is still in progress with the "06" seats.
Lookind at the picture I'm hoping the seat will put me in a more forward position. Has anyone with a DWG purchased this seat? Has it changed you're riding position and what is you're opinion of its comfort?

Pic
I'm short too, 5'7" to be exact so please don't take this the wrong way. To me the only thing funnier than a short dude trying to tip-toe forward controls is a short dude who's tip-toeing forward controls while being pushed forward with a big "Pampers" like seat. That would have to be so damn uncomfortable anyway...I personally like to slide back as far as possible to put some stretch in the spine for comfort and to get out of the wind for speed.

:cheers:
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
KKRider said:
I'm short too, 5'7" to be exact so please don't take this the wrong way. To me the only thing funnier than a short dude trying to tip-toe forward controls is a short dude that's tip-toeing forward controls while being pushed forward with a big "Pampers" like seat. That would have to be so damn uncomfortable anyway...I personally like to slide back as far as possible to put some stretch in the spine for comfort and to get out of the wind for speed.

:cheers:
big "Pampers" like seat :hystria: :hystria:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,735 Posts
I'm all of 5'7". My 1995 FXDWG fits me perfectly. Just the right amount of bend at the knee. The controls are stock location, just better than the el cheapo ribbed rubber sticks they come with from the MoCo. Can't quite figure why they won't forego just a few of the customers' dollars to make the Dynas (and others) look much nicer on the showroom floor. I have a Badlander seat and Carlini drag bars and everything still fits just fine. If your inseam is 28" or more you should be pretty comfortable. You can always swap seats on the days you are gonna ride with momma on the back.
Good luck,
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KKRider said:
I'm short too, 5'7" to be exact so please don't take this the wrong way. To me the only thing funnier than a short dude trying to tip-toe forward controls is a short dude who's tip-toeing forward controls while being pushed forward with a big "Pampers" like seat. That would have to be so damn uncomfortable anyway...I personally like to slide back as far as possible to put some stretch in the spine for comfort and to get out of the wind for speed.

:cheers:
What if I told you I have big feet, like a hobbit! Now thats even a funnier picture. Actually the ride isn't that bad, I previously had an XL1200C and the forward controls were closer. I could place the foot beyond the pegs and totally relax the leg. Always thought that was great.
Steve, I'll drink a beer and say thanks to any Marine out there. You are the best in the world. The country could not survive without the sacrifice you guy's put in. When I ride my bike and enjoy the country around me I make a point at times to think, people are overseas right now freezing in the Afgan mountains, under fire in Iraq, sleep deprived and working hard.
I've been to Afganastan, Kuwait, and Iraq (more than once, all vounteer). Air Force, close air support. The DWG is a present to myself. So.... I'll drink a beer in salute to the marines right now!
I really do have big feet!

Pic:cheers:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
I have no idea who they build non-touring bikes for, surely no one over 5'9" , just came home from about a 150 mile ride at around 75-80 mph on the Bob and I see I will need to rotate the bars forward about an inch for the ride up to Oregon on it next week. I wished I would have had the retro tuck'n roll spoon seat stitched up first. That damn bump-up on the back of a Bob solo seat is totally obnoxious to the tail bone. Well, at least the bars are perfect.

I must be getting senile, because I just remembered seeing a 250 lb person trying to ride a little Buell Lightning is even funnier than a guy who can't reach the forward controls.

My babe's grandpa Charlie was 4' 11" when this pic was taken of him back in the early 20s. Maybe I should stop bitching about my seat and just ride, LoL

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6338/hpim04549bt.jpg

:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
pic824 said:
Just purchased an "06" wide glide. I love the forward controls but my legs are just a bit short and I have the feeling that I can't totally relax them. Risking they will slip off.
Pic

You may want to install heel stirups (sp?). I have a 29" inseam and rented a wideglide last year. I experienced the same problem as you. One of the reasons I bought an FXDX are the mid-mount foot controls. I will be adding mini apes when the 1000 mile service is done. I loved them on the Wide Glide.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
41 Posts
i wanted another foot position for my wg, so i went to ebay and found a set of mid controls off a dyna. fit perfectly after i ground off the brake pedal stub. added cheap foot pegs. have to be careful though when riding; takes more time to get to the brake pedal and the pegs have to be up when putting my feet down at a stop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
pic824 said:
Just purchased an "06" wide glide. I love the forward controls but my legs are just a bit short and I have the feeling that I can't totally relax them. Risking they will slip off. I just bought a Mustang Regal Duke seat so my wife would be more comfortabe on the back. It won't arive for a few weeks as the company is still in progress with the "06" seats.
Lookind at the picture I'm hoping the seat will put me in a more forward position. Has anyone with a DWG purchased this seat? Has it changed you're riding position and what is you're opinion of its comfort?

Pic
A couple of ideas for you to kick around. There are setups for moving the controls back toward you so you can have better placement of your feet and still keep the good looks of forward controls. Getting a seat that moves you forward also generally moves you up. Planting your feet when stopped can get tricky. It's not a pretty picture to stop and put your low foot down only to find out the pavement is still two inches away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks' for all the suggestions,
Looks like I'm going to order a pair of adjustable floorboards from J&P along with heel guards to rest the boot. The floorboards have a wide range of adjustment. Looking for the long ride. Now only if spring arives here in Jersey!

Pic
 

·
`05 FXDI
Joined
·
171 Posts
pic824 said:
Thanks' for all the suggestions,
Looks like I'm going to order a pair of adjustable floorboards from J&P along with heel guards to rest the boot. The floorboards have a wide range of adjustment. Looking for the long ride. Now only if spring arives here in Jersey!

Pic
I have the same problem as you. I just put forward controls on my FXD and I can't reach them. I've been tossing around a few ideas on how to fix the problem. I am just at a loss. Not sure what to do!!! Anyone got any input?

1. Adjustable Footpeg Kit. My question with this is will it even work with my forward controls. I mean if I want to move my pegs back some I don't want to move the back 4 inches. How the heck will I shift?? http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=6D9AE513-9357-4A44-B875-10214FCC517A

2. Reduced Reach Footpeg kit. The only problem with this is that I can't find it for anything but the V-Rod and the male kit. I need female I believe.
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1735/184/2352597
http://www.v-mod.com/shop/_default/viewProductImage.asp?CID=204&PID=1389

3. Adjustable Foot Boards. Which boards did you buy from J&P?? This are a bit pricey and I kinda like the look of smaller pegs over the boards.

4. Reach Seat from HD. I hear it's very uncomfortable and makes the bike feel small. It would move me forward some but I'd be on the tank.
 

·
semi-retired
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
pic824 said:
Just purchased an "06" wide glide. I love the forward controls but my legs are just a bit short and I have the feeling that I can't totally relax them. Risking they will slip off. I just bought a Mustang Regal Duke seat so my wife would be more comfortabe on the back. It won't arive for a few weeks as the company is still in progress with the "06" seats.
Lookind at the picture I'm hoping the seat will put me in a more forward position. Has anyone with a DWG purchased this seat? Has it changed you're riding position and what is you're opinion of its comfort?

Pic
try a seat that will move you forward,or if you have the cash,a leg transplant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kRiZ said:
I have the same problem as you. I just put forward controls on my FXD and I can't reach them. I've been tossing around a few ideas on how to fix the problem. I am just at a loss. Not sure what to do!!! Anyone got any input?

1. Adjustable Footpeg Kit. My question with this is will it even work with my forward controls. I mean if I want to move my pegs back some I don't want to move the back 4 inches. How the heck will I shift?? http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=6D9AE513-9357-4A44-B875-10214FCC517A

2. Reduced Reach Footpeg kit. The only problem with this is that I can't find it for anything but the V-Rod and the male kit. I need female I believe.
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1735/184/2352597
http://www.v-mod.com/shop/_default/viewProductImage.asp?CID=204&PID=1389

3. Adjustable Foot Boards. Which boards did you buy from J&P?? This are a bit pricey and I kinda like the look of smaller pegs over the boards.

4. Reach Seat from HD. I hear it's very uncomfortable and makes the bike feel small. It would move me forward some but I'd be on the tank.

I ordered the parts a few days ago and have recieved them. I liked the set up and they look beter than I expected.
From J&P, Adjustable Driver's Mini-Floorboard Kit P/N 5500095 (it has Male adaptors that will set the boards back about an inch) The boards offer another inch or two of fore/aft movement. The kit also has dog bones for other mount applications.
They also rotate to any arc angle. Thats necessary for forward mounting as you won't want them flat. Its unnatural in the forward position. But because you slant them your feet tend to creep off from wind and vibration.
For that I got Boot Dr. boot guards P/N 550-038 and inverted them so the guard is on the back and outer portion of the boot guard. The guards are not custom fit but they look nice ( there is a small gap on the outbard corner were the board is rounded). They are pinch bolt installed. I used a dremmel and placed a small divit notch on the underside were the set screws set. Gives it a positive hold. If you want to try this remember to lift you're foot up and out at a stop. I adapted real quick and the set up was just what I needed.

Pic
 

·
`05 FXDI
Joined
·
171 Posts
pic824 said:
I ordered the parts a few days ago and have recieved them. I liked the set up and they look beter than I expected.
From J&P, Adjustable Driver's Mini-Floorboard Kit P/N 5500095 (it has Male adaptors that will set the boards back about an inch) The boards offer another inch or two of fore/aft movement. The kit also has dog bones for other mount applications.
They also rotate to any arc angle. Thats necessary for forward mounting as you won't want them flat. Its unnatural in the forward position. But because you slant them your feet tend to creep off from wind and vibration.
For that I got Boot Dr. boot guards P/N 550-038 and inverted them so the guard is on the back and outer portion of the boot guard. The guards are not custom fit but they look nice ( there is a small gap on the outbard corner were the board is rounded). They are pinch bolt installed. I used a dremmel and placed a small divit notch on the underside were the set screws set. Gives it a positive hold. If you want to try this remember to lift you're foot up and out at a stop. I adapted real quick and the set up was just what I needed.

Pic

Thanks for the part numbers and the information. Do you have any pictures of them on your bike? I've decided that floor boards is the way to go. I looked at a buddy's wide glide who put some on his and they look great. He absolutely loves them as well.

I like the look of the Kuryakyn heel guards but, I wasn't sure if the Kury's would even mount to the mini boards Was there any reason why you chose the Boot Dr over the Kuryakyn heel guards other than personal preference??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kRiZ said:
Thanks for the part numbers and the information. Do you have any pictures of them on your bike? I've decided that floor boards is the way to go. I looked at a buddy's wide glide who put some on his and they look great. He absolutely loves them as well.

I like the look of the Kuryakyn heel guards but, I wasn't sure if the Kury's would even mount to the mini boards Was there any reason why you chose the Boot Dr over the Kuryakyn heel guards other than personal preference??
Wish I could send a picture. Camera battery is dead. Its on the to do list.

I thought about the Kuryakyn also but chose the Boot Dr. because of the set screw application. Looks like you would have to peal back the mat and drill screw holes for the Kury's? Might not be bad and provide a good solid mount? One other note. Because I inverted the guards I used a bench grinder to scale back the guard at the top a bit for break and shifter clearance. Didn't take much, Just enough so movement to the controls would be totally clear in case of an energency reaction. Cleaned them up and they look good. All depends on you're controlls and fit what will work for you.

Pic
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top