V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went and got the Train dyno tested. I don’t have a scanner so I won’t be able to show the results, but I can tell you about it. The first run was before the Short Block Charlie’s kit. I had 56.4 HP and 78.7 ft-lbs of torque with the following:

SE-204 cams
SE Performance Ignition
Dynojet Carb kit
V&H Short Shots

On that chart it seemed like there was a DIP in torque between 2200 RPM and 3000 RPM and the power started to sign off at around 4200 RPM. Also the HP seemed a very low for the mods the bike had. This led me to the Thunderheader. I figured, and the tuner confirmed that there wasn’t enough back pressure. When the Thunderheader was added to the mix I got 60.1 HP and 82.2 ft-lbs of torque. There was still that little dip at about 2700 RPM to 2900 RPM but it was only 2 ft-lbs and power started to drop at 4800 rpm

Now being of unsound mind I’m unable to leave any vehicle I’ve owned stock. So out comes the wallet again. I get the SBC Scotsman kit. I was very pleased with Hippo and Charlie when I dealt with them. They are both great! The kit got me 88.9 HP and 101.3 ft-lbs of torque. Pretty damn respectable. The dip is back between 2200 RPM and 3000 RPM. The tuner (I forgot to mention was Nick at Custom Performance) still feels the bike needs a little more back pressure to get rid of it. Power continues to build until 5300 RPM.

The torque curve isn’t as flat as I want. The tuner seems to think it needs more air on the upper end. He thinks I should get the Mikuni HSR 45 to get a longer torque curve. Well that’ll be another day. Anybody got a spare $500 lying around??? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great numbers on the SBC kit... what exactly does that include. Also you only made 56HP with Cams, Ignition, Carb, And Pipes??? or was that bone stock?
Thanks
Buzz

·
Registered
91 Posts
bikinaz thats great news because I'm getting the same thing from SBC...vortec heads, oversize valves, 9.7:1 CR and he's BB my cylinders to 95". I chose the andrews TW44 cams on Charlie's recommendations and I also am going with the D&D FatCat 2-1 exhaust pipe.

how big is the torque dip you experienced between 2200-3000 and is it noticeable in the saddle?

have fun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buzz,
The kit includes ported heads with oversized valves, and the cylinders bored to 95” with flat top pistons. I’m sure they can make any changes you might want, such as high compression pistons. Here in Arizona the gas quality isn’t the greatest so I chose to stay away from that though. Yep, the 56 HP was with the mods listed. The straight pipes were probably the biggest problem in that equation.

buxndos,
I’m going to change cams eventually. I’m sure this dip is more of an issue with this cam then that of the SBC kit. Actually that was originally next on my list to do, but I think a new carburetor jump up in priority. The 5 ft-lbs dip in the torque curve is noticeable in that when the bike gets up to around 3000 RPM it really starts to pull hard. You’re still at 87 ft-lbs at 2200 RPM, and it don’t take too long to get to 3000. The dip has been there from the very beginning. I believe I’ve heard the term “raped ape” here on this site before, trust me, it’s appropriate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Phew!! I can hardly wait to get my stuff back from SBC and get it put back together. Keep us posted when you get the carb - I've seen HSR42's for less than $300....

Thanks for the information. I'll post my own numbers when I make it through break-in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been told the HSR45 is a better way to go with the 95” and heads. I know I could get one for about $280 but I’m thinking the whole kit with the manifold might be a better choice? Perhaps it might be too much carb for this set up?

·
Registered
246 Posts
How much does the SBC run, is there something similar in the Midwest? Is your extended warranty still valid? I would think not...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not to rain on this old post prade, but my "home shop" got me 86 HP and 97 ftlbs TQ. Not bad for 750 bucks worth of mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CU,

So if I’m reading this correctly, I can get the carb to get an extra 6 HP. If I would have gone with 10.3 CR instead of the flat tops at 9.6 CR I might have picked up 3 more ft lbs of torque. Actually with the gas quality as it is in Arizona I wouldn’t go for that. I’ll stick to the flat tops. I had some detonation on a Ford Lightning due to bad gas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive run as high as 40 advance on this setup with pump gas (93 octane) U can see by the graph I was at 36 degrees that day. It seems to run the best at that point . Mikuni....dont leave home without it. I still say the guy that did my heads should get the credit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We can’t even get 93 octanes here. Best we can get is 91, and that’s even suspect due to oxygenation requirements here. I also noted you have a different cam, and the Jim’s roller rockers and lifters. I’m not familiar with the Crane 290-2. How does it compare to the SE-204? Does the temperature make that much difference? It was in the low 80’s when I dynoed mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im sure temps make diff. About 68 degrees when I did mine. Im gonna try Mikuni hsr45 later in the year. Ill look at the se cam and see the diff's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CRANE CAMS PART # 1-3003
CRANE CAMS GRIND # HTC-290-2
INT. DUR. 240
EXH. DUR. 248
INT. LIFT .570
EXH. LIFT .570
INT. O/C 18/42
EXH. O/C 46/22

SE 257 is close to this grind, SE204 is alot mider lift, duration is close but shorter. The harley cams are all around the 290-2.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A simple 95" and a great deal on a set of new cranes cams (316's). I ported my heads and did my own carb mods too. I already had the slip-ons and the carb mods done (w/S/E air cleaner) before I went to 95". A better than stock ignition and I might get 90 HP, but thats another 200~300 bucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From the world of V8's... its 10 degrees = 1 % more power. So if your gonna do the braggin rights, try an get it dyno'd when theres snow on the ground.

If you watch the dragsters they will talk about how much faster they were running the morning before/night

Cheers
Bikeless

·
Registered
66 Posts
Obiviously when I try the hsr 45 it'll be warmer......the carb showed up today. hmmmm its about eighty degrees out. I guess I'll wait till November so's I gets the extra hp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts