V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
banal
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love 3/4 helmets for fall and winter touring, keeping the cold wind out of my ears. I hear great things about the comfort of the Shoei RJ Air Platinum Helmet, which I am considering buying, but I cannot find one local so I am looking to buy online.

In the pictures online I can see snaps where the visor mounts, which I am assuming the visor is detachable. My real question I would like to know before I buy is, are those snaps standard snaps in the standard 3 positions that would allow me to attach a standard face shield? (like would mount on any HJC or Fulmer or countless others) In the pictures it looks like maybe there are only 2 snaps, or maybe there are 3 but they look to be in an odd position, possibly.

I'd very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this question.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I ride with this helmet. You will have no trouble with the snaps. I bought a detachable face shield--the flip up kind--from J & P. It fits fine. The face shield snaps have some lateral adjustment to it so it can adjust somewhat to the helmet.

Air Platinum is a very comfortable helmet. I think you'll be happy. BTW, I couldn't find one locally either and bought mine online.

·
banal
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain Bligh said:
I ride with this helmet. You will have no trouble with the snaps. I bought a detachable face shield--the flip up kind--from J & P. It fits fine. The face shield snaps have some lateral adjustment to it so it can adjust somewhat to the helmet.

Air Platinum is a very comfortable helmet. I think you'll be happy. BTW, I couldn't find one locally either and bought mine online.
Thank you capt I appreciate the info

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the same helmet. Yes it's very comfortable, only problem I had was the snapon plastic shields, I bought a clear and a smoke, block the small vent holes in the helmet so I took a small spade bit and cut out a half moon shape out of both shields so air could get to the vents. No big deal..The visor snaps on outside of the shields but does not interfere with air to the vents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cap. bligh, must not have explained it very well, the shields were blocking air to the vent holes not the visor..sorry about that..

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I was thinkin' right and writin' wrong. I also meant "shield." When I install my shield it doesn't block my vents.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hate the decal

I like the helmet a lot. It is very comfortable and blocks out noise. I bought two WHITE ones; one for me and one for the wife. I got white because studies show white is most visible to traffic.

What I don't like about the helmet though is the gaudy decal on both sides, "RJ AIR PLATINUM." I took a razor blade and gently scraped it off.+SMSH+

·
Registered
164 Posts
My wife wears one of these and finds it very comfortable.
I hate the stickers too - on the black helmet the stickers are gold, looks like crap.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
cripula said:
My wife wears one of these and finds it very comfortable.
I hate the stickers too - on the black helmet the stickers are gold, looks like crap.
I wonder if there's anybody who "likes" them? Maybe we should all contact Shoei and tell them get rid of the stupid sticker!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheers -
The Shoei was my first new helmet in 30 years. Very comfortable, like it a lot, but yes, decals are the pits. But about 2 minutes with a heat gun (or hair drier?) removed them all from my black helmet without a trace. Just don't go overboard with the heat...<g>

Good riding!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts