V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how long the shocks are on a 99 fxdwg? I want to lower it but am not sure how long the orginals are. I know, I sound like an idiot! the problem is that the bike is up on the lift for the time it takes to relace the wheels with those new twist spokes. I would like to change out the shocks now so I don't have to take it all apart later.
Tim

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Your stock shocks are 12 and 5/8 inches from eye to eye. I put some shocks off a lowrider on my wideglide that were 12 inches eye to eye, and they lowered the rear tip of my back fender exactly one inch. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I have forgotten the pythagorean theorem from geometry class. Be careful of going to low. I had some White Bros lowering brackets on for a short while, and while riding two-up the rear fender would bump the rear break caliper. The white bros kit was also incompatible with the Harley chrome axle nut covers. If you have the money, the best option is the 11 1/2 inch Progressive 440 shocks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ohlins has developed new shocks for the dyna.. one model, the 36PRCLB - has the piggy back, you have the option of choosing from two lengths, both of which are completely adjustable...bit more expensive, but i should say well worth it.

two other models, the 36E and the 36K are emulsion types...completely rebuildable....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put on some 12 inch Progreesive 412 series on my '3 FXDWG and love them. For $250 you get a much improved ride and the 12 inch will lower the bike 1 inch from the stock 12 5/8 shock. I wouldn't go any lower or you may have to cut the fender to clear the belt gaurd. I also lowered the front with the white brothers kit. the ride is stiffer but to me it handles much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts