V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you ever done any measuring to see how much lower the harley low profile shocks actually lower the rear? and also the same for the white brothers lowering kit for the rear? my 98 road king has been lowered in the front and currently has the harley low shocks on the rear. the reason i'm pondering all this is the following. i put those shocks on at about 30,000 miles. now have 112,000 on the bike. i have my stock shocks with 30,000 miles. was thinking of using those stock shocks with a lowering bracket on the rear. was hoping to get a little better ride with fresher shocks but dont want to go much lower due to always riding two up. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Food for thought

here's something that might be of help expecially if you go to a lowering kit...

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109070

I am running the 1" lowering kit and got quite abit of bottoming out with just me on the stock set up and 1" lowering kit...
the articale that I showed, explained the proceedure I used to get a much better ride along with the 1" lowering kit

as far as the earlier question I personally didn't measure the difference between the 12" that was on my bike vs. the 13" with the 1" lowering kit but I can say that the seat height is the same between the 2

personally I like the 13" with the 1" lowering kit for the extra 1" of travel that the 13's have over the 12's...3" vs. 2" travel

One more piece of food for thought every 20,000 miles manual asks that the front fork fluid be changed...with this thought why not the rear fluid in the shocks? Just makes go sense that if one gets replaced then the other should too...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I had an 01 RG, same rear as your 98 RK, I had the 1" white bros style lowering kit with my stock shocks and way preferred it to the 13" stockers, Liked the handeling and at 300lbs +ol,100lbs+a million pounds of crap I had to carry around with me all the time, I never bottomed out with the stockers and the lowering kit, just kept them shocks pumped up! I switched after about a season and a half to 12.5 inch progressive 440 HD's, great ride, way better than stock but I took the lowering kit off when I got em. They are great shocks, highly reccomended, but they were higher than the stockers with the lowering kit. Had I kept my bike I was gonna try the lowering kit with the progressives but, I traded my bike a couple of weeks ago.....

Wanna buy one of those lowering kits cheap? The one I have is better quality than the white's but same principal.... I'd sell it shipped for $50.....
pm me...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Lowering kits are about $100, shocks Progressive 440s 400, they make cheaper ones too.

Stopped at Progressive tent, at Sturgis. They say they kits change the geometry of the bike. Of course they sell shocks, but I think they are probablky right. But will the average rider notice???

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
berserker said:
Lowering kits are about $100, shocks Progressive 440s 400, they make cheaper ones too.

Stopped at Progressive tent, at Sturgis. They say they kits change the geometry of the bike. Of course they sell shocks, but I think they are probablky right. But will the average rider notice???
They definately change the geometry of the bike.... For the better!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for all that info. that pretty much answered all my questions. i think i'm gonna go with the stock shocks and the lowering bracket. i was just hoping that it wasnt much lower than the low shocks and i dont think it is. i'll play around with the shock oil idea.
i'm a little pissed though on the front fork oil thing. i had my bike in my local shop last friday. we replaced my front sliders with the old style fork boots. i mentioned to the guys that i figured we'd change the fork oil since it hadnt been changed in about 80,000 miles when i put chrome lowers on at 30,000 miles. i let them talk me out of it because they said since it hadnt ever leaked that it would be fine. i had no idea that harley recommended changing the fork oil at 20,000 or so. guess i missed that on my maintenance reading.should have went with my gut and changed it anyway. real hard to do after getting the nacelle off?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i went with the stock shocks and whites lowering kit..(being the cheap bastard i am)...on a 01 FLHR...and rode it for 5 years...

next bike (06 electra glide) after reading the cons of just changing the angle of the shock with a lowering kit..i opted to take a pass on doing that again....and stuck with the stock HD shocks..

after riding this new bike for a while ... I somehow i thought i had become a much better rider, as the 06 corner'd a LOT better and took the bumps ect smoother.....

i think as some have said if you want lower and better handling...IMHO..

go low profile shocks! IMHO.....

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
adlerx said:
They definately change the geometry of the bike.... For the better!
Dunno.

I got 54k with stock shocks, that are shot and lowering kit. Going with lowered 440s, will report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts