V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have spent a good length of time searching the forums for shock recommendations for my Sporty, and the overwhelming choice seems to be Proressive shocks. So I have gone ot their web page and done the research on models for the Sporty.

The only info I have not been able to find on the forums here is the stock length for the 1200 Custom. I have found most posts related to shocks are for folks looking to lower their bikes, and so they talk about the 11.5" shocks. I have also seen posts talking about the 12.5" shocks, but no actual mention of exactly what the stock length is.

I also saw at least one post that said you get no extra suspension travel if you go with a longer than stock length shock.

So, in addition to asking what the stock length is, I would also ask - is there any benefit to going with a longer shock for my needs?

I am proably going to go with either the model 418 or 440 Progressive shocks.

A little back ground:

I'm 6'0", 260 pounds. I ride 95% of the time alone, and I do a few 200+ mile at a time rides every year. I ride about 1000 miles a month on average. I am totally bottoming out the stock shocks, and when I take a passenger, it's way too much for the stockers.

Many thanks all,
Tom

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Shocked by shock choices

TomGolden said:
Hi all,

I have spent a good length of time searching the forums for shock recommendations for my Sporty, and the overwhelming choice seems to be Proressive shocks. So I have gone ot their web page and done the research on models for the Sporty.

The only info I have not been able to find on the forums here is the stock length for the 1200 Custom. I have found most posts related to shocks are for folks looking to lower their bikes, and so they talk about the 11.5" shocks. I have also seen posts talking about the 12.5" shocks, but no actual mention of exactly what the stock length is.

I also saw at least one post that said you get no extra suspension travel if you go with a longer than stock length shock.

So, in addition to asking what the stock length is, I would also ask - is there any benefit to going with a longer shock for my needs?

I am proably going to go with either the model 418 or 440 Progressive shocks.

A little back ground:

I'm 6'0", 260 pounds. I ride 95% of the time alone, and I do a few 200+ mile at a time rides every year. I ride about 1000 miles a month on average. I am totally bottoming out the stock shocks, and when I take a passenger, it's way too much for the stockers.

Many thanks all,
Tom

Tom:

I put Progressive front fork springs and 418s with the standard rather than heavy-duty spring on my '04 Sporty roadster. I weigh about 200 pounds. I was extremely pleased with the upgrade in performance quality, although the suspension in the rear was rather stiff. Mostly, I noticed a much greater dampening of rebound with the Progressive shocks. I felt about a third more G -force on acceleration due to no more rear wheel hop.

Judging from the ride quality I experienced, I personally would not go with the heavy-duty springs in the 418s unless I planned on riding two up most of the time. Progressive suggests the breakpoint for standard and heavy-duty springs at a rider weight of 225 pounds but does offer a service to replace the springs for you within 10 days if you're not satisfied with the ride quality. It was a wee bit pricey as I recall.

As to shock lengths, simply measure the stock shock center to center on the mounting bolts in a no load situation.

I went with 13.5" (or 13.25", I'm not sure-bike since traded) shocks on my roadster. Your Custom will obviously be shorter, 12" as I recall.

Good luck. Merry Christmas, remember Whose birthday it is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wiz. I measured the stock shocks this morning and bolt to bolt with no load, is about 11 3/4", so I'm pretty sure the stockers are 12".

I'm probably going to place my order this next week or so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1200C Shock Length

The stock shock lenght is 11.75". Progressive makes them only in 1/2" increments so I used 11.5" on mine and changed to the HD springs. Much better for 2 up riding and they did seem to break-in after a few weeks. I think the softer spring rate (SD) was too soft for 300 lbs total.

Also, be advised that the sping rate for the shorter shocks (under 12.0) is different. Something like 90/135 (?).

Good luck,

SEMJPM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts