V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY PEOPLE, FELLOW SPORTY RIDERS, I GOT A TECH QUESTION ABOUT SHOUCK ADJUSTMENT ON A 99 XL-1200 SPORTY. I READ SOMEWHERE YOU CAN ADJUST YOUR SHOCKS FOR DIFFERENT LOADS. WHEN I BRING MY WIFE ALOND FOR A RIDE [110 LBS] I'M HITTING THE BUMPS AND I'M HITTING EM HARD. IS THERE REALLY A WAY TO ADJUST FOR DIFFERENT LOADS? IF SO WHERE DO I DO THIS AND HOW? I BOUGHT THE BIKE USED AND DIDN'T GET A OWNERS MANUAL AND I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE INFO ONLINE. AND IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN OR SHOULD BE DOING MYSELF OR SHOULD I BRING IT TO THE DEALER? [ I HOPE NOT, THEY ARE ALWAYS BOOKED UP]
I'M A PRETTY FAIR MECHANIC, BUT I KNOW FOR SURE THAT IF YOU DON'T KNOW, DON'T TOUCH IT. CAN ANYBODY HELP.
NEW RIDER ABOUT 7 MONTHS NOW. LIVE TO RIDE.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I keep mine on 3 and run 4 with the little woman. Rebounds just right. Tried 5 and when you hit a bump it about throws you off the damn thing. Want to go with shortened progressive or works next though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but what I really need to know how to make the adjustment. where am I headed? Is it something on the shoks themselves or other? Do I need a special tool? Are the numbers you mentioned posted somewhere?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Near the bottom of the shock absorber you should see some notches. You have to twist the shock absorber to adjust it and make sure both sides are on the same notches. I haven't ever adjusted mine so I can't say how hard it is to adjust. There is a special tool you can buy for doing it. It's listed in the repair manual as a SPANNER TOOL (Part No. HD-94820-75A).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sportster hardride

I have a Sporty, 883 Custom and I found out my bike was set up for one rider instead of a two up. I set it on five with a pair of channelox, (my dealer didn't have the tool so I ordered one) At the bottom of the shocks there is five different settings, each one either lengthening or shortening the pre-load. Its unbelievable the difference, it don't bottom out no more but it still hurts the body but probably not the bike as much.
Any other comments or help for a guy withm a screwed up back that can't afford a bigger bike right now would be appreciated.
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts