V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bike on ebay and it is in Denver CO.

I live in Illinios....

What is a good shipping company for this little trip???

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to go out and get it, but the wife thought about it after it was purchased and does not want to me to do that trip....

So yes, it was thought about...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm from Se Iowa, and I'm having a sporty shiped from Ca to me by this guy. Sposta be picking it up after Thanksgiving.
He shipped my ultra from Fl. last spring.
He might even be able to swing up and get it on his way back east.
Tell him Lyle Gerling sent you.
Since your nortern Il. your not much out of the way going back east.

Arnold Katz

AKatzCo. Inc

P.O. Box 3283

Framingham, Ma 01705

508-877-9918 Office

508-405-1603 FAX

617-901-8947 Cell

[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Liberty Movers.......
800-649-3740

It's been a couple years since I used 'em....but they do great service for a reasonable fee....& special pallets to load scooters on....they're a division of Allied Movers......(It cost me $350 to haul a '99 FLSTC from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. to Southern Mich....)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lots of folks on E-Bay swear by an ouftit named "Forward Air". I don't know much about them other than they charge around $400 and they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

I just bought my 2003 Sporty off of E-Bay and got a fntastic deal. I had to drive 9 hours each way to Oklahoma City to get it, but the wife and I made a fun road trip out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Talk to the Wife!

I've seen this sort of question on other boards, after someone purchases over e-Bay.

IMHO, you need to talk to your wife. After you check on the cost for "shipping" the bike, you'll probably discover that it will be much cheaper for you to fly/train/bus to Denver & ride the bike home. IF you have the time and the weather permits. The two of you could come out in a car and your wife could then follow you home if she's really concerned. If you have a pickup, you can haul the bike home on that, or you can rent a trailer.

FYI. A year ago in November, we sold Lisa's (huckelberry1) Yamaha Virago over the Internet. The purchaser flew into LA and rode the bike home. To western Wyoming. Piece of cake!!! It's a very easy ride from Denver to Chicago. (Weather permitting.)

One poster suggested a AMA shipping company. I recommended the company to my son when he relocated from CA to VA last year. Even though the company specializes in shipping bike, a couple straps broke and his bike was trashed up pretty badly. While they did quickly agree to cover all repairs and they did, it took 'em 3 months to get the repairs completed. You don't have to worry about someone else trashing YOUR bike when you ride it home.

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be going with AKatzCo. Inc. Gave me a good deal and easy to deal with... AND I will have the bike within 7-10 days....

Thanks to all that helped out on this....

Can't wait to take her for a ride..... It will be cold, but worth it!!!

Thanks FLHT for the lead!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thats 7-10 working days, I think 5 day weeks. At least they pickup at the door and deliver at the door. I know a guy that used Forward Air, bad think is someone has to take the bike to a airport their at and then you have to pick it up at a airport their at. The closest one to me is over 100 miles away.
I figured shipping and driving or flying and by the time you figure in everything its cheaper to ship it. Or about the same and you dont loose 3 or more days on the road.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just to let you know Larry picked mine up 4:00 Cal time Sat. He has one more in Cal to pickup then hes headed our way.

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He has to goto Arizona then to Colorado!!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was just going to ask you if you heard anything from the guy you bought your bike from.
I'm looking for anywhere from Wed. to Fri.
But I'd guess two days after he picks yours up at the earliest.
To run by his log book he can only run 10 hr days, so that should be two days from Denver to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
rperkins said:
I was going to go out and get it, but the wife thought about it after it was purchased and does not want to me to do that trip....

So yes, it was thought about...
Just tell the "lil mrs." yer goin for SMOKES,...........!?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts