V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my first fairly long ride the other day. I noticed something that occured several times while riding. When I was shifting it was like there was a long way to raise the shifter to get to the next gear, almost like the next gear was gone. It happened in various gears, but not in first or fifth.

I noticed if I raised the shifter up a bit to feel if the gear was there and if it wasn't then I had to lift the shifter up higher, then back down and then I could feel the gear prior to shifting. It was almost like I had to double shift like on a big rig. But as I said, it didn't happen it all gears and it didn't happen all the time, just several times.

In my head what I just typed made sense, Im sure to you guys it sounds stupid, lol.

·
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<
352 Posts
jetdoc said:
Went for my first fairly long ride the other day. I noticed something that occured several times while riding. When I was shifting it was like there was a long way to raise the shifter to get to the next gear, almost like the next gear was gone. It happened in various gears, but not in first or fifth.

I noticed if I raised the shifter up a bit to feel if the gear was there and if it wasn't then I had to lift the shifter up higher, then back down and then I could feel the gear prior to shifting. It was almost like I had to double shift like on a big rig. But as I said, it didn't happen it all gears and it didn't happen all the time, just several times.

In my head what I just typed made sense, Im sure to you guys it sounds stupid, lol.
Unlikely that you have a trans problem unless you're hearing some unusual noises. After I adjusted the clutch to eliminate that as a part of the problem, I'd look at the linkage. Make sure all of the nuts are tightened, and especially that the splined joints are okay. If anyone has been screwing with the linkage lately, you might want to look at the travel adjustment at the trans, and make certain that the length of the rod is okay. They could have been in there turning stuff without knowing what they were doing. (Nah, no one would do that--would they?)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
If you are riding a softail with forward controls check the shifter pivot point. It gets crudded up from time to time and prevents proper shifting. Very easy fix remove, clean, lube and you are good to go. I put a grease fitting on mine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, it does have fwd controls, I will ck it out when I get home today. On the way to work this a.m it happened only once. I did however notice when I got to work it wouldn't idle. I drove straight through, all 52 miles, without having to stop. Today it was very nipply cold this morning. I never had a idle problem that I've noticed but this is the coldest morning we've had so far.

Im thinking the carb needs some winter fine tuning.

******Drove home this afternoon, the bike started easily and idled well after only a few minutes, of course the temp was about 68 degrees, not like this a.m when it was in the upper 30's. It would seem difficult to adjust carb and have it idle fine when its cold out and still have it idle normally in warmer temps, correct?

The shifter acted the same, trying to go from 4th to 5th I could "feel" the gear wasn't there while trying to shift into 5th, however after I brought it back down, then back up the gear was there. I just got home and have not checked it out yet...besides football is on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts